IGNORED

The start of my adventure in archiving my A8 floppies

Tuxon86

1 hour ago, www.atarimania.com said:

This is a bit like opening Christmas presents :)

BTW, I found an unknown Lunar Lander game in BASIC and the REM statements mention "Vidéotronique". Does that ring a bell? 

Not to me. But with the "é" in vidéotronique I'd say probably a french canadian, especially since the main cable distributor in the province was, and still is, Vidéotron, I get where the author got is name inspiration.

• Like 1

I just added Conjugation Race from the last set.

I had never heard of the program, nor is it listed anywhere! Amazingly, this was a commercial title from a software house based in Montréal and the only references I could find are from company databases such as this one. It seems the name "Meg Edu-Pro, Inc." comes from the initials of the three CEO's!

• Like 1

Thank you Alain, just wonderful stuff..

Paul..

Wow, Homecard, I now know I had one disk of it, but I'd never seen it before, and what a software pairing, Sparky Starks (DISKEY) and Russ Wetmore (Preppie etc), looks to be a great bit of utility software..

And who does not love the Preppie font :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Wow!

Now also secretly hoping other lost Canadian titles will turn up :)

How many disks do you still need to archive from the collection?

About 400 to 500. I still have 5 floppy cases and a half to go through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your work.

Your Plaque Man was a bad dump with one bad sector inside the main program. It seems to be a rare release because I could only find one other (but less original) dump of it.

I did a repair job using this one other dump and now yours also works:

Plaque Man (HomeComputer Software, 1983, Mike Potter)[f].atx  Plaque Man (HomeComputer Software, 1983, Mike Potter)[f].atr

The program seems not to be protected.

(This is a cross-post from burkhart87's thread where confused me had misplaced it at first.)

• Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, Tuxon86 said:

Here’s my Kryoflux 1050 ?

Very nice!  I like the use of the grey floppy drive instead of black - it somehow looks more right than if it was trying to replicate the 1050's looks 100%.

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3287420 (not my project)

3D-printed 1050-style cases for 5.25" drives with Kryoflux use specifically in mind.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Yea this is something I need to do pronto.  I have hundreds of disks and an aging Atari 400 w/810 disk drive.  Is the SIO2PC interface (and assuming some sort of related software) all that is needed?

Probably fine for non-copy-protected/menu disk/personal compilations/personal disks, but not for anything commercial or copy-protected. For those you really need KryoFlux/SuperCard/Grease Weasel; basically, one of the flux imagers.

20 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Yea this is something I need to do pronto.  I have hundreds of disks and an aging Atari 400 w/810 disk drive.  Is the SIO2PC interface (and assuming some sort of related software) all that is needed?

If your floppies are labeled I’d first check to see if those programs (and specific) version is already on Atarimania. In my case, those floppies aren’t labeled or when they’re I can’t make sense of the previous owner scribbles…

After that you’ve two option. First, Invest in a Kryoflux or Greaseweasle and in a PC 360k DSDD floppy drive. The later are getting rare and pricey. If you’re not planning to do this regularly, it may be a bit much.

the second one is to see if someone who’s already have the equipment to do it for you. It may be more economical to ship those floppies than setting up an imaging solution.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

If your floppies are labeled I’d first check to see if those programs (and specific) version is already on Atarimania. In my case, those floppies aren’t labeled or when they’re I can’t make sense of the previous owner scribbles…

After that you’ve two option. First, Invest in a Kryoflux or Greaseweasle and in a PC 360k DSDD floppy drive. The later are getting rare and pricey. If you’re not planning to do this regularly, it may be a bit much.

the second one is to see if someone who’s already have the equipment to do it for you. It may be more economical to ship those floppies than setting up an imaging solution.

Most of my stuff is available somewhere, but I do have some rarities that I haven't found anywhere else, hence why I want to do this.  I already have a PC 360K DSDD, so good there, but is there a place that spells out the steps of what's involved?

2 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Most of my stuff is available somewhere, but I do have some rarities that I haven't found anywhere else, hence why I want to do this.  I already have a PC 360K DSDD, so good there, but is there a place that spells out the steps of what's involved?

It really isn’t complicated. You use the software provided to image the disk then use A8rawconvert to create an ATX file. The only bother are flippy disk which you either have to mod your drive, punch a second sensor hole or cut the top back with a box cutter and flip the disk in the jacket. I use that last option on non original disk as it’s the easiest to me.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 9:16 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

Very nice!  I like the use of the grey floppy drive instead of black - it somehow looks more right than if it was trying to replicate the 1050's looks 100%.

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3287420 (not my project)

3D-printed 1050-style cases for 5.25" drives with Kryoflux use specifically in mind.

That case is for a 3.5" FDD, NOT 5.25"!