IGNORED

The Making Of AVP (Edge Magazine Feature)

Lostdragon

Just now, alucardX said:

This is great, thanks for sharing it.

Apologies it's taken so long, been sat on an old HDD for years, along with a whack of misc Alien Trilogy and Alien Res. Press, which has been forwarded onto the sites mentioned. 

Had some time to spare tonight so got my backside in gear and got it up and into the community. 

• Like 1

On 28 de enero de 2022 at 7:08 PM, Lostdragon said:

Hopefully this works OK, as it was a pain getting the files off an old HDD. 

Passed these onto AVP Galaxly and GTW for part of it's AVP/Alien Trilogy section. 

Thought I would share them with the community on here for those that have never seen them. 

Enjoy. 

1643409509436_MakingOfAlienVsPredatorEdge00001.jpg

1643409596691_MakingOfAlienVsPredatorEdge00000.jpg

1643409613511_MakingOfAlienVsPredatorEdge00002.jpg

1643409623956_MakingOfAlienVsPredatorEdge00003.jpg

This is new to me. From which Edge issue this comes from?

Thanks for sharing, whenever I would have loved to hear more insights (relationship and support from Atari, facing technical challenges (e.g. the low framerate) etc.).

When it comes to the different visors of the Predator. Nice feature in theory, but imo they didn't made any difference in the gameplay. They were no hidden switches, secret ways, invisible items or so which could be seen with a certain visor or so.

When I saw the pictures in the German videogame magazines back in the 90s, I was fascinated about the graphics. I bought the game as soon as I could afforded it and had hours of good fun. But the game was even for 1990s standards not perfect. The unavoidable acid puddles after killing Aliens were a pain in the a**, the maps didn't saved progress, turning around the own player took ages.

Other details were simply great ... the use of the maintenance tunnels, the sound effects, the graphics itself.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Apologies here, but I didn't take a note of the issue number at the time, as it was in amongst a stack of old magazines and Comics i sent to Mort and paid him to do High Resolution scans of key features, old UK Atari 2600 adverts etc, before sending physical mags into recycling. 

Everything was put on a memory stick, then HDD, boxed up and forgotten about. 

This was a good few years ago. 

It was from the era Edge did a making of.. in each issue, remember Midwinter, Tempest 2000,Metcenary etc. 

Magazine wasn't A4 sized either and it might of been classic Xbox /PS2 era if that's any help? 

Edited by Lostdragon

6 hours ago, evisu said:

Thanks for sharing, whenever I would have loved to hear more insights (relationship and support from Atari, facing technical challenges (e.g. the low framerate) etc.).

When it comes to the different visors of the Predator. Nice feature in theory, but imo they didn't made any difference in the gameplay. They were no hidden switches, secret ways, invisible items or so which could be seen with a certain visor or so.

When I saw the pictures in the German videogame magazines back in the 90s, I was fascinated about the graphics. I bought the game as soon as I could afforded it and had hours of good fun. But the game was even for 1990s standards not perfect. The unavoidable acid puddles after killing Aliens were a pain in the a**, the maps didn't saved progress, turning around the own player took ages.

Other details were simply great ... the use of the maintenance tunnels, the sound effects, the graphics itself.

My humble pleasure, just delighted the community is enjoying them. 

It's been a regret of mine, we've not been able to hear more insights from both the Rebellion and Atari teams (more individuals sharing experiences would of been great). 

That's a fantastic point about how the Predator Vision modes could of been used for gameplay mechanics rather than just a neat visual effect. 

Yep game got a lot right... the dead bodies littering the floor really added to the atmosphere, but the acid puddles really should of disappeared within a short space of time, after all it ate through how many decks of hull plates on the Nostromo? and the Colonial Marines body armour in seconds, in the films. 

It just reminded me that I never see one thing mentioned and it always kind of irritated me about AvP. When you start your game it says that it is loading a simulation as if you're not really on the Golgotha station but this is somewhat never picked upon again so the rest of the game plays like it's all real.

Has anyone any idea why that is? My speculations are that it is some remnant from something that was planned and scrapped again. Or that they thought it might be more interesting than "just" a loading screen. Or that this would somehow make all the violence and also killing "the good guys" more justifiable.

Does anyone here actually know?:)

On 1/30/2022 at 8:29 AM, KidGameR186496 said:

Bottom of the page on scan says "Edge #133"

Edited by rayik
Typo fix. I hate auto spell correct. Uses wrong word a lot
  • Like 1