IGNORED

PC-SPEED succesfully rebuilt!

t0ri

Hi,

After some months of hard work, Sack's oldest PC hardware emulator - PC-SPEED has been rebuilt.

All documentation is available on my site there -> http://atari.myftp.org/pcspeed/pcspeed.html

Please use google translator - site is in polish lang. only

regards

tOri

I'm searching for Sack's AT-speed for reverse engineering. Maybe someone would donate a piece for it?

Edited by t0ri
  • Like 5

VERY IMPORTANT INFO:

I have to warn everyone who uses devices with old CPLDs like the GAL or memories like EPROM, EEPROM. It looks like they might come lost single configuration bits due to aging and for some other reason. Datasheets mentions about 20-30 years of data retention. Only way to keep these working for next years is to reverse engineer all logic inside secured chips and reprogram they like new. Don't be surprised when your beloved device stop working someday due to single bitflip... I ask everyone who can help with it and can contribute old devices for reverse engineering before they'll completely die...Not all will be rebuilt because some devices are secured by custom chips, but some can be...
It will be a serious problem for all vintage computing...

• Like 1

Nice work.

Considering PAL, GAL chips: there are 10 PALs in Mega STE . GALs were very new in 1992, so there are PALs, as there is couple in Falcon too.

Would be good to see how is about their logic (JED files) availability. I saw some threads were some of it was published, but would be good to put it all on one place, for easy finding. 

Here are some: http://powerphenix.com/rodolphe.czuba.free.fr/Museum/museum.htm

But that's really not well organized, starting from file names ...

It is normal that old electronic may getting damaged, changed some internal parts, what includes of course memory cells - and we have them in PALs, GALs too. And damage can happen any time, even by new devices - like because some power surges, some bad things connected, shortcuts ...  So yes, it is really important to have those programmable logic chip's internal logic (JED) files. 

• Like 1

And those PALs, GALs may just gone bad. Today I took 1 GAL, which is very old, but worked fine in CATA over years, to reprogram it for new, internal version in development. And it did not pass verify after programming. Tried again - same. Then took 2 same GALs, and programmed them with same content, partially to be sure that programmer, which is also very old is still OK. And with them it was success from first attempt.

Actually, we are already behind usual lifetime of electronic devices. What was about 20 years in years when Atari STs were manufactured. The fact that big part of them is still operational means that build and component quality was better than average.

Hi Peter and thank you,

It is obvious that ALL programmable logic using a trapped charge, such as EPROM, FLASH, EEPROM, etc., will die. Some PAL will also die after an electric shock, for example, or a simple short circuit. No one can stop it, except for curious people. Most of proggrammable logic chips are secured and not readable by ordinary user with ordinary chips programmer...Pity...

Peter said: "we are already behind the usual lifetime of electronic devices".

YES and I shout (!) to warn all people using old machines and ask for donations of old devices for people who can help in this bad situation.

I bought personally an original pc-speed, reverse it and give all documentation for free, but it is very expensive to me to buy anything I want to save.

Such a situation...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...