IGNORED

128KB raycaster engine WIP

globe

The "v16" version (post #5) runs fine from SDX. The earlier one I did not try. In U1MB one probably has to select a 130XE-compatible RAM extension (Compy Shop 320k or 576k). The program runs fine on 65C816 and Rapidus OS, and even with acceleration. As of 7 MHz the FPS indicator seems to go nuts, though. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finally got it running, but only on "real" hardware, 130XE, Stock memory

had to turn U1M extra memory off or only use 576K CompyShop, nothing else worked.

Edit: had to run it from SIDE 3 loader

I do like it, nice work

Edited by TGB1718
  • Like 1

It works in the 576NUC+ if set to 320K Compy Mode (in text editor: show setting ALT+X, change setting CTRL+ALT+X). I tested it with both an external SDrive-Max as well as the NUC/FujiNet daughter board via the SD card port. Only checked the original version that was first posted, not the memory conflict corrected version.

DSC01938.JPG.fc079023991ee166af4d9a9b3d93b739.JPG

DSC01939.JPG.3fcee1cf3fe7c7963598ace40645641c.JPG

I don't have a Joy2B+, so it would be great if someone that does tries it as well. Nice to see it working on real hardware, as well as on newly designed hardware :)

Edit: as expected, it will not work in 576K Rambo Mode

Edited by mytek
  • Like 3

@globe  Jaw Drop GIFs | Tenor  Best Fry Becomes Rich GIFs | Gfycat

I get it Globe - you are trying to make me drown in my own drool! :lust::P

OMG I just booted this up off my SIDE3 on my stock 130XE and IT'S AMAZING!! :lust:Aside from the new textures and resolution and the weapon fire lighting which look amazing and is so quick, I am utterly blown away by the new on screen in-game area weapons animations - the chain gun animation is beyond spectacular!!! I can't stop moving around and firing. (I honestly didn't think you would be able to animate the weapons!). I also love the pistol ejecting the ammo casing. I can just imagine sampled weapon sounds effects here.

FPS and fluidity is astounding too! I honestly cannot believe this is running off an A8!! :lust: Really....Bravo! I thought you would improve on the FA engine which I love.......but this is something else!!!:lust:

Here it is on my 10" CRT - ignore the photo quality - it's much clearer in real life:

image.thumb.png.1da8ab1c0b499aba2bc67d10f623848b.png

EDIT: just reread ya post earlier re:

3. press START+SELECT+OPTION to switch between 'full' pixels and 'every other line is black' mode (there's roughly +5 fps gain with the later)

4. press START+SELECT+OPTION+some key to get back to Controls setup screen

I get 25fps on full pixel mode and 30fps on every other line is black mode just moving around. When firing the chain gun and moving it drops down to 23 and 28 respectively. The FPS with both is amazing!!!

Also love the redesigned weapons icons lower screen - Honestly you have made my January (it's been a tough one in some respects so far). Plus I just spent the best part of 3 days trying to fix my new 800XLF and had no joy (yet) - so this has helped to lighten my mood - heh heh;)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

On 1/30/2022 at 8:54 PM, ivop said:

atari800 -xe "eng128 v16.xex"

Works fine, and looks good!

Edit:

$2000 - $201f
$02e2 - $02e3    INITAD: $2000
$0f00 - $753f
$8000 - $800a
$02e2 - $02e3    INITAD: $8000
$4000 - $4d42
$5000 - $5423
$7c00 - $800a
$02e2 - $02e3    INITAD: $8000
$4000 - $bcc2
$02e0 - $02e1    RUNAD: $b447

You cannot load this from DOS. You need a small loader, like MyPicoDOS. It should also boot fine from AVG, Uno, Side, and also SIO2PC/Respeqt.

Just as @ivop wrote. If someone wants to laod from (most) DOS, it won't run. Most DOS block the RAM till around $1F00, so loading below that won't work. Page 6 is free there, too.

@xxl's XBOOT or XDOS will run it fine, as uDOS by Stefan Dorndorf will do. Both are special DOS with very low memory usage till around $0940.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrFish said:

It doesn't like any Rambo memory config, or the 1088 KB RAM setting.

I imagine it's the same problem with running it in Atari800Win PLus too [Edit: verified...].

Looks like I need to read up on various memory upgrades and adjust the bank switching.

15 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I copied both versions onto SIDE 3, used the Loader to run the .XEX's still crashes no matter what

memory config I try, I checked with some games to make sure the SIDE 3 was working and they

loader fine.

Well, try to set Altirra to settings MrFish mentioned in his post above yours.

I'll look into the various memory upgrades and try to come up with something that will work for everyone.

EDIT:

Glad you managed to make it work even if it took a while.

15 hours ago, MrFish said:

Interestingly, if I start in NTSC and then switch to PAL without restarting, PAL will run @ ~ 30 FPS in full pixel rendering mode (no need switching to every other line rendering mode).

Finally something that's easy to explain:)

Demo only does PAL/NTSC detection at the beginning so if you switch to PAL while it's running, it still counts 60 frames as 1 second instead of 50 and the FPS counter is bloated.

11 hours ago, Philsan said:

I think both files need 130XE memory.

Yes, both need 128KB, the only difference is the second file starts loading from higher memory address so it shouldn't overwrite DOS.

Edited by globe
Didn't read the rest of the tread before replying to earlier posts

9 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I honestly didn't think you would be able to animate the weapons

Just a memory issue, nothing else.

9 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I get 25fps on full pixel mode and 30fps on every other line is black mode just moving around. When firing the chain gun and moving it drops down to 23 and 28 respectively. The FPS with both is amazing!!!

There's some fluctuation with FPS depending on where you stand.

Wider open ares will go down to 23 while sticking your face closest to the wall will get you 33. Raycasting part has a lot less work in the later scenario so it finishes fast.

Weapon animation shouldn't really affect the frame rate so it's probably the lighting processing that does that.

22 minutes ago, pps said:

Just as @ivop wrote. If someone wants to laod from (most) DOS, it won't run. Most DOS block the RAM till around $1F00, so loading below that won't work. Page 6 is free there, too.

Yeah, it's easy to forget this when most of the time I spend in WUDSN + Altirra.

XEX that loads from $2000 is in post #5

• Like 1

Few more images for ya, all on my 21" B&O MX4000 CRT running off my Incognito'd 800 (in BIOS RAM switched to 576k Compyshop).:grin:

Ignore the fact you can see an 800XL in the foreground. 800 is underneath. :)

This one is full pixel - very nice:lust::

image.thumb.png.0cb86abf48463f13aacdc61ac606c5ef.png

and these two are in "every other line is black mode", 2nd being more of a close up shot:

image.thumb.png.b837b70b37208492669b25fd8d2e0657.png   image.thumb.png.2b9fde3ecb7a7267ee20376f2f237734.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, pps said:

@xxl's XBOOT or XDOS will run it fine, as uDOS by Stefan Dorndorf will do. Both are special DOS with very low memory usage till around $0940.

XBoot or XBIOS by XXL.

(uDOS and XDOS are both by S.Dorndorf and the raycaster file from post #1 will NOT run with XDOS, only with uDOS)

11 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

what is the ANG value all about?  Assume it means angle?? 

Yes, it's player's angle but I left it in hexadecimal for convenience.

Whole 360 degree turn = 128 steps so ANG goes from $00 to $7F.

$00 facing north $20 - east $40 - south, $60 - west

• Thanks 1

I wonder, if people realize what has become possible with this engine. 

For some Wolf 3D game, I'd have expected even less details than have been used in Final Assault. 

Particular the fast updates make the "strafe" walking possible, just like on any 32 Bit PC. 

The fast movement is possible in all ways. 

So, if you don't walk, you could change the cam view for "strafe" not only horizontally but also vertically. 

Filled Vectors, 25-30 FPS. Why not some Tempest style game with a real 3D Projection?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, globe said:

Yes, movement needs some rework too.

Not sure yet whether it'll  be just faster walking or walking + running.

I always liked having a key that toggled walk/run (usually <CAPS LOCK>). Funny thing is, I don't ever recall toggling back to walking, in any game. :D

Might be a good idea to latch fast turning with running -- if you end going for walking + running.

• Like 1

ok. I had a go for some minutes to "test"... some impressions:

- the low resolutions (40 rays instead of 80) is not as that disturbing like I would had imagined... visible on bad textures and on wall edges of course but not that bad I have to admit
- the frame rate is quite constant which is suprising... as normally it should drop significant when having long corridors... at least on my SNES version :D
- all improvements look far better than V1. Kudos! well done.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrFish said:

I always liked having a key that toggled walk/run (usually <CAPS LOCK>). Funny thing is, I don't ever recall toggling back to walking, in any game. :D

Might be a good idea to latch fast turning with running -- if you end going for walking + running.

For now try this out, movement is roughly twice as fast.

Toggling is possible but I'd like to keep the number of buttons to necessary minimum because there's so many of them already.

Binding running together with fast turning might work. I'll do some testing once I have Settings done.

7 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

what are the texture resolutions?

This version uses 4 'zoom levels'

32x32 = standard size, 64x32 = large size and 16x16 half size together with 8x8 quarter size for smaller wall slices

- the frame rate is quite constant which is suprising... as normally it should drop significant when having long corridors... at least on my SNES version :D

In this map fps may wary between 23 - 33, but the change isn't very abrupt so it's not noticeable I guess.
Also not that many people face-surf the walls which is the only way to get 30+ fps :)
So in the end we're jumping around +/-3 frames most of the time. (all of this applies to 'full pixels', add +5 frames for black lines mode)

Your comment made me curious, so I tried worse case scenario: empty map with walls only along the outer borders, standing in a corner, looking towards the corner across the map.
Got 20fps which was a nice surprise for me, my guess was it's going to be somewhere around 15.

all improvements look far better than V1. Kudos! well done.

Thanks. It's much easier with so much extra memory.

128KB v16 faster movement.xex

• Like 3