IGNORED

Atari Bar Idea

YarsFan

Throwing this out here as an idea to see what folks think of it:

What if Atari opened a limited number of Atari-branded bars/pubs in the major cities in the US, 1500-3000 square feet per bar, and the bars are filled with all the classic Atari arcade games of the 1980s and late 1970s that you can play while you drink (and tokens are given when you buy drinks, including soda). No food, beverages only, to keep the machines from getting nasty. Custom beverage holders on both sides of each cabinet. Mind you, solely arcade games that Atari has the rights to, presumably in partnership with a vendor such as Arcade1Up to build full-size replica cabinets. All of the cabinets nationwide are connected to the Internet, so that drives the Atari Bar high scores nationwide. 

In addition, each bar would have one and only one title of the earliest known OG cabinet featured prominently somewhere, maybe behind the bar—and anytime it gets played for record-breaking/high-score attempts at the location, it gets projected somehow onto a huge TV above the cabinet and drinks (maybe make it a monthly event like the fourth Friday of each month?). Each bar would only have one such title exclusive to its location, so each bar would be colloquially known as the “The [insert name of game] bar” (e.g., The Asteroids Bar in Houston makes sense given the association with NASA). Obviously age restricted to ages 21+ and there would be multiple TVs on the walls playing various 1980s themed movies/shows with titles, with only 1980s music playing at all times. Limit the exclusivity to major markets geographically distributed, one per region in most major markets - here are some ideas of which OG cabinet may go best with which region:

1. NY: NYC (Centipede Bar)

2. CA: LA (Crystal Castles Bar)

3. TX: Houston (Asteroids Bar)

4. FL: Miami (Asteroids Deluxe Bar)

5. Midwest: Chicago (Millipede Bar)

6. South: Washington, DC (Warlords Bar)

7. Mountain: Denver (Missile Command Bar)

8. Southwest: Phoenix/Tempe (Tempest Bar)

9. Northwest: Seattle (Super Breakout Bar)

10. New England: Boston (Pong Bar)

Is the idea hot or not? Would you visit? Is Atari/80s nostalgia still popular enough to keep ten bars like this open and profitable?

Edited by YarsFan
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:14 AM, Leonard Smith said:

I really wouldn't care for something like this.

There are enough hipster barcades out there already.  

It's only a couple of miles from my house but I don't go all that much. I do enjoy it though. It's a great place to meet gaming friends and all the games are set on free play.

Hopefully they'll keep a high score table running somewhere.  They could even referee game tournaments, with prizes* for things like getting the high score on Pong.

* First prize: your table's tab, on the house.  Second prize: your own tab, on the house.  Third prize: dinner with Fred (who 'forgets' to bring his wallet).

• Haha 2

None of these recent arcades capture the sense and wonder of the 80's. They're too formulaic and polished. Yeh sorry whenever I've gone in one I feel "business model" as the main theme, not a place of carefree adventure. All scripted. Everything has to be culturally safe "Pac-Man" or "Space Invaders". Retro stuff is artificial and in your face.

Yes there it was I started reading the story behind Aftershock, and sure enough effen Pac-Man. I hate that. I hate it I hate it I hate it! The game and everything about it reeks of pulp pop crap. HATE! HATE!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

None of these recent arcades capture the sense and wonder of the 80's. They're too formulaic and polished.

A couple of years ago, I went into our semi-local barcade for a couple of drinks and some video games.  The hipster chick behind the bar started explaining to me what it was like in the 1980s even though she probably wasn't born any earlier than 1995.

When I pointed out to her that I was very familiar with the 1980s, having lived through the entire decade, she just nodded and said, "cool," followed by promptly launching back into her spiel about the decade.

Haven't been back since, and it has nothing to do with COVID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:28 PM, YarsFan said:

Is the idea hot or not? Would you visit?

Not. I would read the reviews and watch them crash'n'burn with glee!

All of the cabinets nationwide are connected to the Internet, so that drives the Atari Bar high scores nationwide.

Are hi-scores even a thing these days anymore? I mean like who cares about a three letter initial now? Back then in 1981 it was important, there was a chance you might know the other player. Maybe. Nationwide? Naw..

Mind you, solely arcade games that Atari has the rights to, presumably in partnership with a vendor such as Arcade1Up to build full-size replica cabinets.

Part of the arcade experience back then was the variety of games. And that means many manufacturers, Bally/Sente. Atari, Centuri, Konami, Bally/Williams/Midway, Namco, Sega, CapCom.. Atari only would be pretty boring.

Each bar would only have one such title exclusive to its location, so each bar would be colloquially known as the “The [insert name of game] bar” (e.g., The Asteroids Bar in Houston makes sense given the association with NASA). Obviously age restricted to ages 21+ and there would be multiple TVs on the walls playing various 1980s themed movies/shows with titles, with only 1980s music playing at all times. Limit the exclusivity to major markets geographically distributed, one per region in most major markets - here are some ideas of which OG cabinet may go best with which region:

Sounds too vertical and full of restrictions for want of trying to create something.

IDK. It might attract a certain demographic that hasn't really visited arcades much, and even less those that have. And the folks from the 1980's would perhaps visit once out of curiosity and not go back.

None of it seems to capture 80's essence. Our 80's arcades didn't have movies playing, and while most had music, it wasn't continuous 24/7. Arcades were part of the 80's culture, and they were NOT the only thing we did. They mixed along with other kid stuff. That's not really possible today.

I get my 80's fix of old games via modern means on my terms in my own home with my own choice of music. Typically this means emulators in a grand setup with masterful presentation. Full of amenities, like a box of Depends, a toilet, an endless supply of junk food at the ready, ability to sit on my fat-ass and play without having to waddle to the next machine. Ha! I'm not going to leave the house for a sub-par experience chock-full of limitations. No. When I'm out on the town last thing I wanna do is do the stuff I have at home.

And sorry to all, I simply don't associate beer with arcade games. Not how I experienced them as a kid back in the day.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thanatos said:

Also, for any of them to have true 80's ambiance, they need to allow smoking.  :D

Oh god no - that's one of the best decisions ever made.  I can finally venture outside without walking through other people's cancer cloud and having my hair and leather jacket stink for days.

If you want the proper 80's vibe, let the patrons rail coke off the arcade control panels :)  Oh yeah - bring back the high hair too.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

None of these recent arcades capture the sense and wonder of the 80's. They're too formulaic and polished. Yeh sorry whenever I've gone in one I feel "business model" as the main theme, not a place of carefree adventure. All scripted. Everything has to be culturally safe "Pac-Man" or "Space Invaders". Retro stuff is artificial and in your face.

This place is definitely more polished than the arcade I grew up with but that isn't necessarily bad. All of the coin-ops are from the 80s, well maintained and best of all, set on free play. I've only been there a few times but I can "time warp" back to the 80s once I'm involved in a game. The worst part if that one bank of games is near a large overhead door that they can open with the weather is nice. It lets in way too much light and can wash some of the screens out on a bright day.

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

Are hi-scores even a thing these days anymore?

Yep. They have a large display on one of the walls that have the high scores for each game at that location. I have no idea how often they reset it (it's manual with track letters/numbers) but it's pretty cool.

None of it seems to capture 80's essence. Our 80's arcades didn't have movies playing, and while most had music, it wasn't continuous 24/7. Arcades were part of the 80's culture, and they were NOT the only thing we did. They mixed along with other kid stuff. That's not really possible today.

It's different than the arcades we grew up with but not all bad. There are certainly more places to sit and one whole wall with televisions hooked up to retro consoles. It definitely has an 80s feel to it and since I'm not much of a drinker, it's generally cheaper than it was in the 80s, at least for me.

The place next door (likely owned by the same people but has a different name) has pinball games (not set on free play), duck pin bowling, table tennis and a few other group games.

And sorry to all, I simply don't associate beer with arcade games. Not how I experienced them as a kid back in the day.

Unfortunately for them, I don't think too much about the bar when I'm there. It's more about meeting up with friends and playing some games. The last time I was there I know I played Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Popeye, Tempest, Centipede, Qix, Tapper, Q*bert, Dig Dug, Galaga, Burgertime, Asteroids, Moon Patrol and Space Invaders (which I beat the high score but didn't tell anyone so I'm not on the board lol) along with a few others. I purchased one pepsi while I was there.

Not exactly the same formula as when we were kids but I'm glad people are doing this kind of thing. It's still fun.

• Like 1