IGNORED

Sony Buying Bungie for $3.6 Billion

Albert

1 minute ago, Razzie.P said:

Demolition Man taught me that Taco Bell wins that.

Wait... those were different wars

Or maybe not?

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/10/xbox-and-taco-bell-win-xbox-series-x/

https://www.amazon.com/Limited-Taco-Bell-PS4-PlayStation-4/dp/B01FU5CU5W

Then there is the KFC "console" which is the same parent company as Taco Bell  ?

Destiny was hyped up to hell, as a game that would be bigger than Halo and see ten years of new content, so of course it was never going to live up to that. They still sold around $500 million worth of copies on day one though - paying down the entire initial budget for those ten years - so it wasn't exactly a flop. It just sputtered and died fairly quickly after that, largely because it was shallow, grindy and derivative.

Destiny 2 was, and still is, a massive success though. The current player base on Steam alone (and I presume there are even more on consoles) is over 30 million and they've been whaling the totally-not-gambling microtransactions to the tune of $300 million a year. They've already got content mapped out to 2024, so it probably will make it to that ten year mark too. It's still got more or less the same failings as the first game, but it has been rather more successful at retaining the player base.

Also, in case anyone missed it, their head of HR resigned last year, blowing the lid on a workplace culture that sounds everything as bad as Activision and Ubisoft:

https://www.thegamer.com/bungie-head-of-pr-resign/

So, two terrible games from an even worse company. I suppose they're worth the asking price if you look purely at the financials but I'd hope that Sony are going to make some pretty big changes.

14 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Destiny 2 was, and still is, a massive success though. The current player base on Steam alone (and I presume there are even more on consoles) is over 30 million and they've been whaling the totally-not-gambling microtransactions to the tune of $300 million a year. They've already got content mapped out to 2024, so it probably will make it to that ten year mark too. It's still got more or less the same failings as the first game, but it has been rather more successful at retaining the player base.

But who gets the bulk of those profits, Bungie or Activision?

Just now, Lostdragon said:

Myth, Oni, and Marathon  are the titles before Halo.. 

Yep, I know about those and Bungie's pre-console library as I was a Mac gamer well before the Xbox came out.

But once Halo came out, that was the end of those IP's.  Granted, they could resurrect them, but I highly doubt they will.
(Yes, Marathon did come out on Xbox Live, but it wasn't the same).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzip said:

But who gets the bulk of those profits, Bungie or Activision?

I'd assume that it's all Bungie's now, as they became sole publisher for the game in 2019.

Activision certainly did all right out of it though and Call of Duty: Warzone covers that niche for them now. I'm pretty sure it's already a bigger game than Destiny 2.

I vaguely remember Oni now and again, usually because I see it pop up somewhere and recently it popped up for too much $25-30 at a half price books in the jewel case.  Always wanted to try that out, kind of surprised it hasn't re-surfaced as a remaster or on GoG of all things.  I think it had some anime flair to it didn't it?

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:26 PM, Tuxon86 said:

The main problems with Destiny is that it was a recycled concept (it borrowed many element from halo) and kind of grindy.

Exactly my problem with the original Destiny, it felt over familiar and could of been a fan made Halo mod at times, stuck with it for as long as i could, but boredom soon set in. 

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I vaguely remember Oni now and again, usually because I see it pop up somewhere and recently it popped up for too much $25-30 at a half price books in the jewel case.  Always wanted to try that out, kind of surprised it hasn't re-surfaced as a remaster or on GoG of all things.  I think it had some anime flair to it didn't it?

The usual   Ghost in the Shell and Akira  influences from what i remember from the PS2 press at the time. 

I think it just goes to show how these valuations are all about profits - or at least projected ones as Zynga were still somehow worth $12 billion despite posting record losses - and that a sentimental valuation of the quality of the IP being acquired plays no part in this.