IGNORED

Free Box of ATARI (mostly) Computer magazines from 1983 to 1988. Several complete years. Free local pickup only.

Verault

I wouldn't feel guilty about disposing these.

Can't hold to everything, even if its old, retro and Atari.

You gave the community ample notice, everyone talks a good game about preservation and donating, but no one comes through when it matters.

At this point, just toss them in the bin and move on.  This stuff is likely already scanned and archived anyways.

19 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

I wouldn't feel guilty about disposing these.

Can't hold to everything, even if its old, retro and Atari.

You gave the community ample notice, everyone talks a good game about preservation and donating, but no one comes through when it matters.

At this point, just toss them in the bin and move on.  This stuff is likely already scanned and archived anyways.

Thanks. Yeah Thats pretty much where I am. They are gonna get junked. Noone has come forward to get them. Alot of people saying dont do it but its a two edged sword. And yeah, I cant keep everything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Verault said:

Well I gave it a couple weeks as I said I would. Its pretty clear noone wants old magazines regardless of whats on them. This are going into the trash tormorrow. Thanks anyway. Like he said, you can't save everything.

If weather is pretty ok, leave them on the curb with an obvious retro computer cover up & they will prolly all get snagged within a few hours

On 1/31/2022 at 5:23 PM, stupus said:

Just for info. If its just the 1 file box only, it's about $25 by media mail to ship them in the usa. Tape the lid on and done ;)

True, but technically, these can't go via Media Mail. Things shipped via Media Mail can't have advertising in them, even if it's 30-40 year-old advertising. He may or may not be able to get away with it. I "gave away" a bunch to a fellow AA user a year or two ago and the postal clerk looked through my items when I went in to inquire about shipping costs and told me that they wouldn't accept them for Media Mail. I looked up the rules for Media Mail and they were right, even if I thought it was silly. Your mileage may vary. I wound up shipping FedEx and by the time he paid for the shipping and an $20 for my gas to ship them out, those "free" magazines wound up costing him $95! He got about an 80% complete collection of Analog and Antic magazines for it, but still...

Don't feel bad @Verault. You tried for two weeks, and that's all you can do. It even sounded like you had someone relatively close, but they still wanted to have you meet someone half-way. We all hate to see them trashed, but we all know what it's like when we need to clean, declutter, and organize. You fought the good fight for them, and no one offered to help. Pitch them in good conscience.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

Right, but if you pack them in a box, bring them in and just say its books to be sent media mail they will take them as media.

Then just put them in the car and make a stop at the post office next time your by it.

It's too bad nobody wants to grab them in person, and if he doesnt want to ship them it's totally understandable.

I don't think it's that nobody wants them though, it's just its a limited audience and if you live in the middle of nowhere on top of a mountain then probably no one was going to do a in person pick up anyway.

With the price of gas, shipping is probably cheaper anyway unless somebody just happens to live on that particular mountain.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stupus said:

I don't think it's that nobody wants them though, it's just its a limited audience and if you live in the middle of nowhere on top of a mountain then probably no one was going to do a in person pick up anyway.

I don't know, I sometimes like to make a day (or weekend) out of things like these. Works for both me and the family.

Taking a transatlantic flight from Europe would be probably stretching things a bit ;)

Its true. MEDIA MAIL PROHIBITS MAGAZINES.. https://www.squareonebiz.com/media-mail-rules-made-simple-learn-what-qualifies-and-what-does-not/

And people whom chime in with "interest" just want to talk as NOONE followed through. And the one about speaking to thier brother so I can meet them halfway on a 45 minute drive didnt bother reading my listings. Im offering it free.. Im not meeting anyone anywhere. Come get them if you want them.. Im not going to go spend gas money for nothing! And I already BOUGHT these magazines.. I am not going to spend any more time or money shipping them or bringing them somehwere for free.. ITs not worth it to me and I am sure most of you wouldnt do that either regardless of whats been said.

I live on a mountain range but Im not hard to get to.  Just 15 minutes from a main route takes you up the mountain. I love doing 35MPH up those vertical roads.. thats fun stuff.

The point I was making was I live in a rural area and I would not leave junk on the side of the road (which basically means in the woods), I'd be littering. This isnt the suburbs.. Alot of people dont live in the suburbs so you cant just leave stuff out.

I have sold tons of stuff on craigslist. People are more than willing to come here. The issue is noone wants these. And you know what thats fine. I just wanted to make sure I tried. And I did, so thats that.

Edited by Verault
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Verault said:

I am not going to spend any more time or money shipping them or bringing them somehwere for free.. ITs not worth it to me and I am sure most of you wouldnt do that either regardless of whats been said.

True. The only reason I did was that I didn't have to spend any of my own money to ship them and I'd factored in $20 for gas and my time. Looking back, it was still a pain. I'm glad all those mags found a good home, but I probably wouldn't do it again if I were ever in that situation again.

28 minutes ago, Verault said:

I have sold tons of stuff on craigslist. People are more than willing to come here. The issue is noone wants these. And you know what thats fine. I just wanted to make sure I tried. And I did, so thats that.

You did your best, so no shame in having to trash them.

That will be the end result of some of my stuff in my sales threads.  
Very few bites, which surprise me.  Perhaps people are still feeling the pinch of holiday bills or whatever.  Oh well, not my prob.  You can't save everything.