IGNORED

Smashing Open A Graded & Sealed Copy of Yars' Revenge!

TPR

6 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Nah, grading video games is practical, not stupid-being ignorant of that(even on purpose, to raise eyebrows) is not terribly smart tho.

The eyebrow raising thing. Ha! Youtube vids to get attention..

But grading videogames? That's dumber than dumb.

6 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

"Smashing", lol.

Jeez.

When I was growing up I was into smashing things. Somewhere, somehow, someone put the idea in my head it was an advanced and smart thing to do. An expression of manhood. Tough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Nah, grading video games is practical, not stupid-being ignorant of that(even on purpose, to raise eyebrows) is not terribly smart tho.

Yeah, you shouldn't be allowed to purchase classic games, lol, at all, ever. 

I could have sent you an open CIB of Yars, no problem.

Mmmm!!!

You are special, aren't you!

The people around you, Parents and stuff, have always reinforced that to you, yes?

I'd let you in on a little secret, but you wouldn't like it.

Man.

What a dumb thing to do.

"Smashing", lol.

Jeez.

Robot Warning GIF by Jin

25 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

That wasn't a very nice thing to do to that copy of Yars...

What do you mean?  I opened it, played it, and had fun.  I did exactly what that copy if Yars' was supposed to do! :P 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Keatah said:

The eyebrow raising thing. Ha! Youtube vids to get attention..

But grading videogames? That's dumber than dumb.

When I was growing up I was into smashing things. Somewhere, somehow, someone put the idea in my head it was an advanced and smart thing to do. An expression of manhood. Tough.

Haha, you caught me before I edited.

Sorry, I definitely went overboard, hence the edit, I truly apologize-my filter gets screwed up every now and again.

:)

I guess one thing about my collecting nature that isn't too far from your evident philosophy(lol), I don't sort things by value, ever, I sort it alphabetically or whatever is aesthetically best, I have to warn my Family that if I kick over, I have 300$ things sitting next to 20$ things, lol!

Naw, shoot, yur stuff, do what you want.

I actually have a sealed copy of Defender, and came VERY close to opening it a couple days ago, changed my mind at the last minute, so i understand the temptation.

Yeah, I was definitely on the jerk train, haha, sorry 'bout that!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TPR said:

Robot Warning GIF by Jin

What do you mean?  I opened it, played it, and had fun.  I did exactly what that copy if Yars' was supposed to do! :P 

Hey, see my above post(I got confused as to who I was responding to, evidently).

Truly, sorry, hope you had fun!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

I guess one thing about my collecting nature that isn't too far from your evident philosophy(lol), I don't sort things by value, ever, I sort it alphabetically or whatever is aesthetically best, I have to warn my Family that if I kick over, I have 300$ things sitting next to 20$ things, lol!

My Apple II and PC pile is just like that. Rare $1,000 processors in the same box as a 486 DX2/66. Video Overlay and Liron cards stuffed in the same box as standard Disk II controllers.

I only have a couple of shrink-wrapped items. I don't know why. Just do. But I have an open and playable/usable copy of whatever alongside it. Thing I don't like with shrinkwrap is it tends to keep shrinking in the years ahead, thus warping the box it's supposed to protect. Probably happens from drying out or going through temperature fluctuations.

As time goes on, my digital collection is becoming more important. Emulation and scans and stuff. Eventually there'll be a time when I say just dump it all - to live burden and clutter free.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

I can relate to this. I like to keep my stuff nice and as "mint" as possible, but I do actually use everything.  Maybe not every day, obviously, but I do a lot of blog posts, videos, social media updates, etc, and there isn't anything in my collection that just "sits on a shelf." And yes, I have stuff that might go for hundreds of dollars sitting next to something that just sold on eBay for 6 bucks. 

But really, I just find that companies like WATA and VGA are a complete scam and I'm doing my part to let people know you can still have perfectly good, mint condition games, and they don't HAVE to be sealed or graded to be that way. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TPR said:

But really, I just find that companies like WATA and VGA are a complete scam and I'm doing my part to let people know you can still have perfectly good, mint condition games, and they don't HAVE to be sealed or graded to be that way. 

Case in point, here's the "after" photo of that Yars' Revenge.  Still in mint condition! 

yars opened.jpg

Well, just to show I'm not a complete poo poo head, I tried it myself. Mebbe not graded as well, but still, the "thrill" of opening something old.

Didn't do anything for me at all. I'm not messed up over it, but I have no idea why I didn't just leave it sealed, for whatever reason, as I have access to the game already.

Seriously, I feel like I "wronged" the collecting community.

I just have to agree to disagree on this one, I still just don't see the point, Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_TVM1Bo0dg

26 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Seriously, I feel like I "wronged" the collecting community.

I didn't spend 22 years of my life making video games for them to sit on a shelf unopened.  You didn't wrong anyone. 

Also, you're in good company with that choice of game!  :P

• Like 4

I think the grading of video games has a place  but is being misused in the collector market.

Specifically if someone wants to buy a pristine sealed copy of a video game site unseen (if that is what you want to buy), one would want to make sure it is exactly that.  The grading provides that guarantee.  Now once it is purchased and received I agree the grading no longer serves its purpose and should be pulled out of that sleeve.

I relate it to buying a diamond.   Diamonds can be bought with a certificate guaranteeing how pristine it is (color, clarity, ...).  Once one purchases the diamond you don't put it in a sealed box; you wear and enjoy it plus keep the certificate around for its history.

46 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

I relate it to buying a diamond.   Diamonds can be bought with a certificate guaranteeing how pristine it is (color, clarity, ...).  Once one purchases the diamond you don't put it in a sealed box; you wear and enjoy it plus keep the certificate around for its history.

Wait, I dumped a girl for wearing the beautiful, carefully selected and certified diamond engagement ring that I so graciously gifted to her... I expected her to keep it in its black, velvety protective case!

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, youxia said:

It doesn't, really. The "grading experts" had been proven wrong before, and in general eyeballing a box and making guesses is not really very scientific.

Agreed.   And I am not saying the grading "expert" services that are out there today are great but some type of a grading system and liability is needed and of benefit to consumers especially to higher priced items.  

On 1/31/2022 at 8:57 PM, Rogerpoco said:

That wasn't a very nice thing to do to that copy of Yars...

Especially when so many loose copies exist!

I'm happy for a slightly-tattered box with shrink-wrap compressing it. You know that's the truest original. Assuming it was wrapped in plastic wrap to begin with.  (Like "Defender" was.) The fact anyone kept a box back then was pretty cool.  Amazing how little they fade.

That youtube channel generates far more money, I'm sure the content creator will buy that $1,000,000  SMB cartridge one day for  the same reason. :D

• Like 1