IGNORED

Metroid Zero Mission

Tempest

So I finally got around to playing Metroid Zero Mission after picking it up NIB in a bargain bin 15+ years ago.  I wanted to play all the Metroids before starting Dread and I figured why not go with Zero Mission instead of playing the original for the 20th time.  At first I thought it was just a graphically enhanced version of the original but the more I played the more I realized that it was almost a completely different game.  Normally I'd be ok with this, but somehow it managed to take everything that was fun with the original Metroid and turn it into a frustrating slog.   Power ups were hidden in nearly impossible to find places (even with a guide) and then made incredibly frustrating to get.  In fact I gave up on one energy tank (you all know the one) because I didn't feel like trying to shinespark for three hours until I managed to get the perfect sequence down (had to settle for 99%).  Whoever made this game really REALLY seemed to love the shinespark mechanic to the point of obnoxiousness.   The added Pirate Ship level was interesting, but even there the whole first part of it where you need to find your suit was made far more frustrating than it should have been.  I'm no stranger to Nintendo Hard games, but most of that part just felt cheap rather than hard.   I did enjoy the added cartoon sequences between areas, those were kind of cool.  I really wanted to like the game, but in the end I just didn't.  I'll stick to the original NES Metroid for the first game.

Anyone else play this lately?  What were your thoughts?  I'm off to Metroid II next which I never played back in the day for some reason, I hope it's not more of the same.  At least I know Super Metroid will still rock when I get to it (never played Fusion either despite picking it up when I got Zero Mission).

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I LOOOOOOOOOVE Zero Mission. Except for the no-suit part. That part can go to hell. Did the hard mode 15% thing in December and got a fairly acceptable time, as well. Zero Mission, Other M, AM2R if you want to count it, and Samus Returns are the only games where I've gotten 100% items, as well.

• Like 1

It's funny that the bosses were pretty easy in this one.  Kraid was the only one I ever died on but that's because I ran out of missiles.  Mother Brain was kind of obnoxious until I found the safe space to hide and Ridley and Mecha Ridley were jokes.  

• Like 1

Yeah, the bosses are really easy. If you get Super Missiles before fighting Kraid, you can actually kill Kraid before he even finishes rising out of the ground lol. On 15% hard mode, though, the game changes radically; Ridley is extremely difficult without the proper strategy (with the proper strategy he's like a 0 out of 10, though...) and Mecha Ridley without Screw Attack is the single hardest thing in the entire series. Well, except for those black space pirates. Those things are evil... there is a very easy strategy to kill them effortlessly, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Austin said:

A frustrating slog? I dunno man, I had the opposite experience with this one. Zipped right through it on my first try and had a blast with it.

It was a slog to get 100% of the items, but now that I look back on it I could have probably gotten 50% or less of the items and breezed through the game.  I was only going for 100% for the better ending, but that's what youtube is for. :)  There are a few of those hidden items that require obnoxious shinesparking tricks that took me forever to get and just made a game grind to a halt.  That and the pirate ship chase sequence that went on too long and was a bit too difficult.

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Well, except for those black space pirates. Those things are evil... there is a very easy strategy to kill them effortlessly, though.

Yeah seriously, what was up with those guys?  I ended up running away from them most of the time because they were too much of a hassle to deal with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yeah seriously, what was up with those guys?  I ended up running away from them most of the time because they were too much of a hassle to deal with.

Those things are terrible. I just run from them for the most part unless you have to kill them. Those last 2 right before you escape in the ship must be killed to open the door, but there is a way to easily get past them. Shamelessly stolen from GameFAQs:

--------------------------------
--------------------------------   <-Pipe

S
                       -------------------
                       I
                       I
                       I                       S = "The Spot"
             0         I                       B = Black Pirates
                       I                       0 = Space jump point
                      --
                      I
      B            B  I
-----------------------

So basically you Space Jump to the 0, return to the S, and one of them will climb up to get you. If you shoot him when he's right at the top, he will sit there and fire off to the left for some reason. Once he's dead, the other one will follow and you can just sit there and wait for him and do the exact same thing to him. Don't get killed by the guy that jumps out of the ship, though. That happened to me on my 15% run as a kid once. I was... not pleased.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

Anyone else play this lately?  What were your thoughts?  I'm off to Metroid II next which I never played back in the day for some reason, I hope it's not more of the same.  At least I know Super Metroid will still rock when I get to it (never played Fusion either despite picking it up when I got Zero Mission).

I got this (and Fusion) for $5 used when people were dumping GBA games.  I honestly don't really remember it that well.  I thought it was a great update but that the new additions seemed a little tacked on as opposed to actually increasing enjoyment of the game.  Your comments do make me realize that I thought ShineSpark wasn't really that fun of a game mechanic.  Looking back, it would have been a tough assignment to supplant my memories of the original game or somehow take the place of the original game in my nostalgic pantheon of favorites, but it fell well short of even getting close.  I also have this memory of realizing that I could play the original game (maybe after I finished Zero?).  I remember starting it, but that it seemed so similar that I wasn't up for it and needed to take a break, so I guess in that way you made a good choice in starting with Zero as a way to building up to Dread.

Regarding Metroid II, it should seem like a walk in the park.  My advice (and most online fans' almost unanimous consensus) is to find a map online.  You don't REALLY need a map, and when you start playing, you will think you don't need it, but then X hours in, you will WANT it.  The pathfinding in II isn't really interesting as it is repetitive.  The map just eliminates some frustration and makes the game more fun.

As a side note, I've recently spent A LOT of time with a similar remake series.  I played through both Bionic Commando Rearmed and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (on the Xbox 360).  I don't really have anything bad to say about Zero Mission or Fusion (and I have yet to play Dread), but BCR and BCR2 put those attempts to shame.  These games expand upon the original in every way while still openly paying homage to the NES classic (sorry arcade version).  Sure, they update some of the quality of life stuff, but they also added many different hidden (and not so hidden) secrets, collectibles and upgrades that give you waaay more to discover.  The bonus is it is actually fun (no ShineSpark here).  Both games also add a series of "Challenge Rooms" that let you experiment with the game mechanics in short bursts.  The Challenge rooms really are a serious challenge that keep you playing well after the campaign is complete.  I recently completed the main 56 challenge rooms in BCR, and it was one of the most difficult and rewarding video game experiences I've ever had.  Playing these games now definitely sits right next to the original for me in my list of favorites of all time.

• Like 2

I hold the exact opposite opinion- I find the original Metroid to be a frustrating slog, while Zero Mission is a much more tightly designed game. Granted, I didn't try to 100% it; I think one of the shinespark puzzles has a three frame window? Sure as heck not doing that. Also, I liked the suitless sequence, fight me.

Regarding the others-

- I actually like Metroid 2 quite a bit, more than most. Game's kinda repetitive with all the Metroid killing and occasional grinding for health/missiles, though I enjoy the game's oppressive atmosphere. If you're not a fan and would prefer the remakes I'd recommend going for AM2R over Samus Returns; Samus Returns really messes up the original game's ending.

- Super is great, but you already know that.

- Fusion is fantastic, but know going in that it's a much more linear experience.

Edited by bluswimmer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe my problem was that I was expecting an updated version of the original game and Zero Mission is almost a completely new game with the different map, power ups, and extra areas.  Still, 100%-ing it was no fun and in the end kind of pointless.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Maybe my problem was that I was expecting an updated version of the original game and Zero Mission is almost a completely new game with the different map, power ups, and extra areas.  Still, 100%-ing it was no fun and in the end kind of pointless.

Yeah, it captures in the original in the broad strokes but is a very different game. Guess I could see why fans of the original wouldn't enjoy that. No accounting for taste, I suppose...

• Like 2

So I just played through Metroid on the NES.  I beat it in one go without dying and only skipped the two extra energy tanks (I honestly didn't know you could only hold six until recently).  While I had a fun blast of nostalgia doing it, I had forgotten that unlike Zero Mission where many of the power ups are absurdly hidden, most of them are right out in the open in Metroid.  You'll just be going through the rooms on your way somewhere and stumble across two or three Missile Tanks out in the open.  I do like how the maze like hideouts are a bit tamer than Zero Mission and the hidden tunnels are generally more obvious (I don't have a good head for mazes).  Mother brain is still a cheap boss with all those little Rinkas and lasers flying around though.  I had forgotten how hard it is to get out of the lava in front of Mother Brain if you fall into it.

• Like 3

I know it has been many years since I touched it, but I really don't remember the stuff you're slamming it for.  I felt it still pretty well mirrored the original, a few quality of life tweaks, and then the nice new area added into the mix.  Personally I found Fusion the lacking title where you're basically a paper dragon because the damage ratios are so fouled up where the weakest baby can so some obnoxious levels of damage.  Both though had great story to them, obviously more in fusion as it is linear, yet the audio visual stuff was quite high quality...gameplay seemed fine, worked tight enough unlike the later 3DS/Switch games with the button juggling messes of things.

Given your last post, I question if ZM is the issue, or if you are.  If you can take down that fast and comfortably the original game, it means you largely have it memorized and muscle memory trained to make it pretty easy too.  The other you can't do that with, while largely the same, it's also not, so all that old mental coding won't fly and maybe you're having a push back issue more than a bad game issue.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Given your last post, I question if ZM is the issue, or if you are.  If you can take down that fast and comfortably the original game, it means you largely have it memorized and muscle memory trained to make it pretty easy too.  The other you can't do that with, while largely the same, it's also not, so all that old mental coding won't fly and maybe you're having a push back issue more than a bad game issue.

Nah I used a guide for both.  I'm too old to remember my way through Metroid after 25 years.

• Like 2

Ahh gotcha.  I have all the same guide I bet... Original players guide had Metroid(I think NES Atlas might have too) then the Official Nintendo Guides on the other(s) as well.  One thing I do hold onto are printed guides, FAQS suck and too many people like to run their mouths during videos in the most intrusive or obnoxious ways possible.  Printed is best, nice image, easy to bookmark, no fluff. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ahh gotcha.  I have all the same guide I bet... Original players guide had Metroid(I think NES Atlas might have too) then the Official Nintendo Guides on the other(s) as well.  One thing I do hold onto are printed guides, FAQS suck and too many people like to run their mouths during videos in the most intrusive or obnoxious ways possible.  Printed is best, nice image, easy to bookmark, no fluff. :)

Yep the good ol' black Official Players Guide.  I really need to get a new copy though as mine is so badly worn due to decades of use (and me being a dumb kid who didn't take care of it).

I always look for text only walkthroughs, I can't stand video guides unless they're showing how to do a specific trick.  I did look at one or two to figure out some of those shinespark hidden items.

• Like 3

Just now, Steven Pendleton said:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world that's finished FDS/NES Metroid and Metroid II without using a map of any sort at all...

Did you make your own or did you just memorize it?  Metroid isn't too complex so you could just stumble your way through it, but it would take a while. 

Interestingly there's a Play Choice 10 version of the game that has a crude map: https://tcrf.net/Metroid

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yep the good ol' black Official Players Guide.  I really need to get a new copy though as mine is so badly worn due to decades of use (and me being a dumb kid who didn't take care of it).

I always look for text only walkthroughs, I can't stand video guides unless they're showing how to do a specific trick.  I did look at one or two to figure out some of those shinespark hidden items.

I can largely agree with that.  I grab anytime there is a TEXT style guide out there (gamefaqs, etc) it's downloaded along with the game I have so I have a fast offline reference.  It's invaluable, but sometimes no matter how wordy or not something gets, a map really goes a LONG way...especially in RPG and walk around adventure stuff(think SOM, Ys, etc.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Did you make your own or did you just memorize it?  Metroid isn't too complex so you could just stumble your way through it, but it would take a while. 

Interestingly there's a Play Choice 10 version of the game that has a crude map: https://tcrf.net/Metroid

I just never got lost to begin with lol. No map needed! Metroid II especially is very easy, as you can't really go anywhere except where the game wants you to go and then return to the main tunnel with the awesome music to get to the next area. I always forget about that PlayChoice-10 version of the game, though.

• Like 2

I beat Metroid II today.  While I enjoyed it, you could tell it was a Gameboy game from the lack of depth.   The world had a 'sameness' to it, partially due to the lack of color, but partially also I imagine due to the GameBoy's low resolution.  Playing it on a GBC helped a bit though, but it was sometimes tough to remember where I had to go back to after defeating the set amount of Metroids because the world was a bit monotonous.  My only real complaint was the last area as it felt tacked on to pad the game time out.  The large caverns with no enemies and the huge areas of nothing where you had to keep space jumping were kind of pointless.  The Metroid Queen was a seriously obnoxious fight and jacked the difficulty up tremendously, even with the bomb method.  My only other complaint was that all the Metroids took copious amounts of missiles yet missiles always seemed to be in short supply unless you felt like backtracking back to a missile refill.   I still managed to beat the game in under 3 hours to get the best ending though (barely... 2:57!)

Super Metroid is next and that should be fun to get back to and I hear Metroid Fusion is really good and this will be my first time going through it.  I'm not sure if Metroid: Other M is part of this series or not, does the story tie in with Dread at all?  I don't remember much about it other than it took some getting used to IIRC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other M is a sequel to Super Metroid, which you won’t soon forget after playing it. The baby… the baby… the baby…

9CE7915D-73AA-4D6B-BBA4-CA6555FC57EC.gif.6a02b896a127e9c18f1de98cf46be057.gif

Except for the first person segments, I really liked the gameplay, but the story and script were realllllly a bad idea. The voice actors did their best but couldn’t salvage it.

I think Zero Mission is my favorite Metroid. I didn’t exactly enjoy the suitless sequence, but it was exhilarating. I 100% completed it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1