IGNORED

8bit-Slicks pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

image.thumb.png.e3ef2e8d6215e027d52a259e8274b908.png

Get ready for the ride of your life! 8bit-Slicks takes overhead racing to a new level for your Atari Lynx, including support for 22 tracks, in-game music, road hazards, jumps, and three levels of CPU difficulty. Race against up to three CPU opponents. Plus, for the first time ever, take your Lynx skills ONLINE when you connect via the 8bit-Hub (available separately from Songbird) for four-player mayhem!

This incredible Lynx release includes a box, manual, and cartridge. Orders ship March 2022. Order now at https://songbird-productions.com.

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 6

Currently the Hub only works with new games that utilize its special communications protocol. For a game like Slicks, that means it enables local multiplayer on a single Lynx, online multiplayer, and cross-platform play. I have raced against players in Europe and Japan, as well as hooked up a 2600 joystick and had a two-player race locally on one Lynx. :)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Some of you have asked when we're going to organize online races for Lynx 8bit-Slicks using the Hub. Our first "official" event is going to be this Saturday, May 7, at 9:00am USA Central Time / 4:00pm France / 11pm Japan. We'll play for about an hour, and players can come and go as needed since each race only takes about 5 minutes.

This first event is a great chance to get your Hub configured and try your hand at racing (although I'll warn you -- a couple people are pretty good and much better than me!). Simply set up your wifi credentials on the Hub, then create an account at 8bit-slicks.com. You will then enter your account credentials on the Lynx 8bit-Slicks cartridge. 

If you are successful, then you should see a variety of servers hosting races. We'll pick the first servers which allow 4 players to race. If we fill up more than one, then we'll use the next one too.

The Slicks cartridge includes a simple chat program to allow some real-time communication, including quick messages to indicate "Ready" or to congratulate players after winning. However, if you'd like a way to chat in real time, please join us on Discord at https://discord.gg/yyrnVsZBCH.

Please reach out via PM, email, or on Discord if you have any trouble getting your Hub set up for the first time. Thanks and we'll see you on Saturday! :) 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

We had another online Slicks event today! Multiple systems represented including Lynx, C64, and Oric. Sorry I forgot to post here; I did post on Twitter and the Songbird newsletter plus a few direct emails to customers. We'll try to do about one per month.

Did you know you can livestream races, watch replays, and see player rankings at http://8bit-slicks.com/? Now all we need is a tournament system so we can declare winners for each event. ;)

• Like 3

On 2/1/2022 at 3:20 PM, Songbird said:

Currently the Hub only works with new games that utilize its special communications protocol. For a game like Slicks, that means it enables local multiplayer on a single Lynx, online multiplayer, and cross-platform play. I have raced against players in Europe and Japan, as well as hooked up a 2600 joystick and had a two-player race locally on one Lynx. :)

how do you connect Lynx to that hub? I see there only a joystick ports.

• Like 1

I'll definitely have Slicks and the Hub there with me for sale. I could probably try an online demo, although it depends on whether other players are online at the time.

The Hub also supports local multiplayer on a single console, so you can in fact have 4 players race on one Lynx by hooking up three joysticks to the Hub. It's pretty cool to see that in action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1