IGNORED

Asteroite pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

It looks like a found the issue related to the final bug, e.g. the sporadically corrupt end sequence.

This was a though one to track down, but it turned out to be a synchronisation issue, e.g. the final level did not unload properly before the end sequence was loaded. This lead to corruption that would degrade the system further and further. After finishing the game 4 times in a row, it would crash when attempting to start a new game.

Now I am just waiting for some independent verification of this fix.

It looks like you will get a very robust game this time...

• Like 11

We now have a ROM that fixes the two major crash symptoms, the victory screen background corruption, and some other minor graphical glitches. We're going to test for the next few days, and if things look good, then we'll be ready to process orders again in May.

In the meantime, anyone who ordered direct from Songbird and wants a replacement can go ahead and return just the cartridge (you keep the box and manual) as I instructed previously. I'll also update the first post of this thread with the same info.

Some people have asked about keeping the buggy cart which of course is fine. The only way you'll be able to identify the buggy one from the fixed version is on the title screen -- you'll see a version number (V1.4) on the bottom of the screen which was not there before. This version number is subject to change in case we find any more stability issues.

Thanks again for your understanding as we work through this setback, and a very special thanks to all the recent playtesters who have provided valuable feedback on Asteroite!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Songbird said:

Some people have asked about keeping the buggy cart which of course is fine.

I presume Songbird has a use for the shell? I hate shipping things so I'm apt to take the lazy route unless sending it back helps the community.

48 minutes ago, grips03 said:

Does the new rom fix the freezing when going into the first frozen area?

Yes, definitely! In fact we found two crash bugs that happened within the first 10 minutes of gameplay on K model Jaguars (but the bug was in the game software, not in the Jaguar itself). Those are fixed, and multiple testers have now played the game start to finish on the new ROM. But we're still testing with about a half-dozen people to ensure it's stable across multiple consoles and multiple complete playthroughs.

37 minutes ago, Editorb said:

I presume Songbird has a use for the shell? I hate shipping things so I'm apt to take the lazy route unless sending it back helps the community.

To be clear, you have to return the original cartridge first if you want the replacement cartridge. What I meant was some customers have asked to keep their cart and forego the replacement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Check the title screen. If you see a faint "V1.4" in the middle near the bottom, then it is the latest ROM. If there is no version, then it is bugged version.

We are still validating the V1.4 ROM by sending cartridges to a small number of customers. Testing will continue over the next couple weeks, and all feedback is appreciated.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MetalKnuckles said:

The thing is I do not have my Jaguar with me now so I probably won't have the opportunity to test until next year. And shipping it to the US from Europe is likely to be expensive so I may just stick with this version and cross fingers.

I also live in Belgium and received my copy from Sweden today. And it's indeed the latest 1.4 version. I hope this is a bit of a relief for you!

1 hour ago, MetalKnuckles said:

The thing is I do not have my Jaguar with me now so I probably won't have the opportunity to test until next year. And shipping it to the US from Europe is likely to be expensive so I may just stick with this version and cross fingers.

Having the "bugged" version isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.  I was able to play through it with very minimal issues, and absolutely nothing game-breaking.  The game was absolutely enjoyable in the state of its original retail release. 

I have a model M Jaguar.  I'm not the authority on this, but I think most of the problems were with the model K Jaguar.

• Like 1

Got my copy (v1.4) 2 days ago and had some time today for a first test (appr. 1h).

This is an absolutely great game (so far). Grafx, Sound, control ... all on an awesome level for a homebrew production.

Sure ... it's a Metroidvania clone, but I like the genre.

Rooms for improvement:

The map would benefit from a higher grade of details.

Health restore at the save points would be useful (otherwise I have to look for spiders to grind health).

• Like 3

Got v1.4 a few hours ago and just beat it 100%.

It worked perfectly.

Used this (6th) playthrough to make an efficient guide with all the locations of upgrades, how to beat the bosses easily and info on health/ammo farms. I should've recorded it. Did some pro stuff this time around. Excellent game and hoping there's a sequel. Wouldn't mind a main weapon upgrade though. Flame thrower would be cool but a shotgun, even better..?

1686255595_Asteroitev1.4-100.thumb.jpg.c22bcb3e043233ed00a1467858790983.jpg

That's right Baby, first one on the planet to beat the 'final' version! :cool:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 2:48 AM, Machine said:

So I finally had a chance to give this a spin. Did anyone else get some significant slowdown?  I only played about 10 minutes and had some pretty good slowdown? Is this normal?  Also, how do you shoot diagonally up without moving?

Can anyone confirm if they encountered the same issue as mentioned by @Machine?

• Like 2

Just murdered this on Game 2 save slot. Did this mostly as a speed run. Lost track of my actual time bc had to pause briefly. Tried to leave a few of the goals out that are required for 100% but decided having all three slots maxed would be more fun. Going for the last slot soon..

20220501_001708.thumb.jpg.b346ffefd9794de3f5d44c0b61572dfc.jpg

• Like 4

A quick question about the game... There's a room near the final boss and it has that damaging green liquid in it and deadly spikes. How do I get past it without taking significant damage? 

I've tried multiple things but either die on the spikes or in the green liquid. ?

Just murdered this on Game 2 save slot. Did this mostly as a speed run. Lost track of my actual time bc had to pause briefly. Tried to leave a few of the goals out that are required for 100% but decided having all three slots maxed would be more fun. Going for the last slot soon..

20220501_001708.thumb.jpg.b346ffefd9794de3f5d44c0b61572dfc.jpg

8a2b00591140103523da278ac4b8ad37.jpg

100% is cool but have you completed it at 54%? [emoji848]

I’ve been optimizing my playthroughs. Have it all mapped out, pretty sure I can get it under 50% [emoji846]
  • Like 1