IGNORED

C-64 Jeopardy (the Sharedata game)

TeddyBear89

47 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

I have been enjoying playing this game with my morning coffee lately.  I have played about 20 games so far without seeing any duplicate questions.  Does anyone know how many different games that this disk offers?

No idea, but we used to play it all the time without repeats.  A fun game, really.

It is a really good game, and there are several versions with different questions if you do get repeats.

Jeopardy!

Jeopardy! Junior

Jeopardy! New Second Edition

Jeopardy! New Sports Edition

There is also Riskant! which is the German version. I don't know if the questions are different or just translated.

Edited by R.Cade

Wheel of Fortune on the C-64 is very interesting because it's written in BASIC!  It does call some machine language routines, but the game engine is BASIC.  I found this out when I loaded a directory and then loaded one of the programs and realized it was the game.  That did allow me to fix a screen formatting error that had bugged me since I had this game originally BITD. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, Casey said:

Wheel of Fortune on the C-64 is very interesting because it's written in BASIC!  It does call some machine language routines, but the game engine is BASIC.  I found this out when I loaded a directory and then loaded one of the programs and realized it was the game.  That did allow me to fix a screen formatting error that had bugged me since I had this game originally BITD. :) 

I love discovering that a commercial game that runs reasonably fast is actually written in BASIC -- and not even compiled. I remember when I hit the RUN/STOP key during Temple of Apshai, just to see if it did anything (I often try such things...who knows why), and I was surprised to see a long BASIC listing for the game! It's been a long time since then, but I'm pretty sure that messing with that code, just trying to change superficial things, directly led me to learning how to overwrite character RAM to create a custom typeface, as that first C64 release of Apshai did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris+++ said:

I love discovering that a commercial game that runs reasonably fast is actually written in BASIC

In third grade, I was prohibited from participating in computer lab for a while because of this.  On the Apple II, I stopped The Oregon Trail and figured out what variables held what information.  I was able to complete the game no matter the scenario with plenty of food, clothing, money, ox, &c.  On its own this was not an offense and no one cared until I started accepting money (or ice cream sandwiches at lunch) from other students to do it for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

In third grade, I was prohibited from participating in computer lab for a while because of this.  On the Apple II, I stopped The Oregon Trail and figured out what variables held what information.  I was able to complete the game no matter the scenario with plenty of food, clothing, money, ox, &c.  On its own this was not an offense and no one cared until I started accepting money (or ice cream sandwiches at lunch) from other students to do it for them.

Now that is a CLASSIC story from a future hacker's early life. ?

And something that could never happen now. Or at least it wouldn't be likely to apply. I'm incredibly glad to have grown up when I did.

Thanks for sharing that. That made me happy.

• Like 2

Does this mean that you had an assignment to complete Oregon Trail? While we to some degree used computers in junior high, I can't recall it ever was a mandatory assignment to complete. Rather it was orientation what you could use a computer for in math, language, social sciences.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

Does this mean that you had an assignment to complete Oregon Trail?

No assignment to complete, just one of the games we played.  My inspiration:

After that, it was just natural to capitalize upon my results for those who were equally or more competitive and had no concerns over whether they cheated or not.  This approach continued throughout my school years in various enterprises.

Like Kirk, I was commended for my skills. I demonstrated that I could complete the game without cheating, and what I did was to learn how the program worked and see what I could do.  Where I fell afoul of the accolades was hiring myself out.  I never saw a problem with it -- it was not an assignment, and these kids were only cheating themselves.

• Like 2

Sorry to the OP - but I don't know. 

But the later posts remind me of a C-64 game about 'financing' a movie, picking type of movie, stars etc.  My brother and I played it a lot.  Dueling back and forth about a movie that had the biggest box office gross.  I discovered, by accident, that it was in basic, and being a programmer... changed the 'conditions' of the game.  Next time my brother came to visit I played the game and made hundreds of millions on the movie I 'produced'.  He was stunned to say the least as the best we'd done before was 90-100 million.  After a few minutes I let him in on the 'joke'.  We had a good laugh about it.  RIP Micheal.

• Like 3

I hacked up The Boss (football manager) quite a bit. The original game let you start in div 2-4, my version allows div 1-6. It also had extra star players, bug fixed game save routine and allowed negative bank loans so you could deposit money and get interest rate instead of the taxman taking most of your surplus. And yeah, converting save from tape to disk.

• Like 1