IGNORED

W O R D L E [DONE]

mksmith

43 minutes ago, mksmith said:

In the process of adding both Keypad and Paddle support currently which is working well so far - just trying to work out whether they become a secondary controller on the right port or will be swappable. As we have savekey support that may require supporting the left port instead and users will need to swap controllers after loading off their Concerto or Dragonfly.

Presumably a paddle controller would be used to scroll through letters. How would you make use of a single keypad controller for this game? In the BASIC interpreter I've been working on, I use multi-tap (like texting on an old flip phone) to pick letters.

For purposes of this game, I think that joystick entry is quick enough, but I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Karl G said:

Presumably a paddle controller would be used to scroll through letters. How would you make use of a single keypad controller for this game? In the BASIC interpreter I've been working on, I use multi-tap (like texting on an old flip phone) to pick letters.

For purposes of this game, I think that joystick entry is quick enough, but I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

Yep paddles scroll through the menu then the on-screen keyboard.  The keypad we are using 2,4,6,8 to move the cursor and the * and # buttons to function as buttons.  The multi-tap sounds like an intriguing option though ? 

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Wordle on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 4

Hi all,

Updated release (in the first post) with the following changes:

• Additional controller support adding Paddles and Keypad (or a mix together).  Press the Select button on the title screen to cycle through the available options

Thanks to Lewis and Bobby for the suggesting to add additional controllers and Mike for fixing a minor issue with the controllers.

We might still have an issue with the save key support - need to do a bit more testing.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

I guess I'll have to wait for the next version for light gun support?

??? SNES controller support coming soon too - might add that one as well!

• Like 4

On 3/4/2022 at 9:57 PM, mksmith said:

In the process of adding both Keypad and Paddle support currently which is working well so far - just trying to work out whether they become a secondary controller on the right port or will be swappable. As we have savekey support that may require supporting the left port instead and users will need to swap controllers after loading off their Concerto or Dragonfly.

7800 Core on MiSTer has POKEY/XEGS keyboard support (I think this is what XM was going to do)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great gift to the community and very well done.  I assume you couldn't profit off it because Wordle is a protected property but if you ever wanted to produce copies to support or promote donations to charity such as Alzheimer's Association (makes sense to me because some research shows puzzles and games like this help fight the disease) or even charities that supports literacy for children I'd buy a copy. I only work with the prior charity on a local level but I think it would be a cool marketing idea to promote the homebrew community at least and get more eyes on the great work being done making games for classic consoles.  Again I have no ties to producing games and only a minor tie to a local charity but I just thought I'd throw it out to get people thinking and especially to say thanks for your work on this game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

Here's another odd one. This one almost gave me a stroke. 

BTW- playing this one way too much. Almost 100 games in and only two weird oddities so far. Good job brother

huh.png

Thanks Vinnie - something is clearly wrong somewhere but I haven't been able to replicate it so far.  How are you playing my friend? Emulator or hardware?

3 hours ago, mksmith said:

Thanks Vinnie - something is clearly wrong somewhere but I haven't been able to replicate it so far.  How are you playing my friend? Emulator or hardware?

3 hours ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

razor0red's java based emulator

JS7800 contains an improved ProSystem emulator core.  Although better than its predecessor, it is not near the accuracy of A7800 or BupSystem.  This may very well be an emulator and not a game related bug.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. The area being used to store this stuff in $2600-$27ff which I thought would be better than using the available 16K ram area @ 4000. It seems to be mis-allocating words/letters into the RAM area or is over-written randomly.  The last example Vinnie put up appears to show the actual wordle changing (lines 1 and 6 are highlighting different 3rd letters).

I'll recheck the code and I also might convert this to a 144k Rom and see if that changes anything.

• Like 4