IGNORED

Suggestions for completing 125/125?

vtadave

So I've hit a bit of a wall, as I still need the following for my complete set. Obviously some tough ones here. What do people do these days now that finding these in the wild for $5 is next to impossible? Just look on ebay constantly? I never see anything locally beyond a system with 10 common games.

Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling
Congo Bongo
Diner
Fathom
Learning Fun I
Learning Fun II
Melody Blaster
Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing
Pole Position
Spiker Super Pro Volleyball
Stadium Mud Buggies
Super Pro Decathlon
Thunder Castle
Tower of Doom
Triple Challenge
World Cup Soccer
World Series Major League Baseball
Worm Whomper

14 minutes ago, vtadave said:

So I've hit a bit of a wall, as I still need the following for my complete set. Obviously some tough ones here. What do people do these days now that finding these in the wild for $5 is next to impossible? Just look on ebay constantly? I never see anything locally beyond a system with 10 common games.

Congo Bongo
Diner
Fathom
Learning Fun I
Learning Fun II
Melody Blaster
Pole Position
Stadium Mud Buggies
Super Pro Decathlon
Thunder Castle
Tower of Doom
Triple Challenge
World Cup Soccer
Worm Whomper

Well. Good news and bad...

Bad news is that your list represents the rarest and most expensive games of the original 125.

You will not likely see a boxed Spiker alone for less than $800-$1000 imo.  You may be able to pick up a few of them at a descent price on Ebay or other auction sites if your lucky but surely not all of them.  What you may need to do is wait for someone to start selling off their collection (it happens every now and then) and buy it. (Start saving now because it'll be in the thousands if its 100 games or more). Then, sell off the games you dont need after to rocoup some of, or all of the money.

Good news is that most of the major collectors are members of AA.  Stay active on the site. Lots of good people here. Most collectors would rather help out another collector than list at auction. I personally have acquired many great games here that i would have waited years to see on Ebay. Keep your feelers out and you may be able to deal for some.

Dont be in a hurry... they will come.

• Like 4

Stormtrooper is right.  It is possible to spend more on those last titles than you have already spent on your system and games.

I am basing the following on prices I paid for mine several years ago.  They may be more expensive now.

Diner - $35-60
Pole Position - $20-40
Thunder Castle - $35-60
Tower of Doom - $35-60
World Cup Soccer- $20-30
Worm Whomper - $60-100. This was for a sealed one. I also got a Sealed River raid for $40.

Fathom - $100-150
Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling -$500
Congo Bongo - $250
Learning Fun I - $400
Learning Fun II - $500
Melody Blaster - $150-250
Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing $300
Spiker Super Pro Volleyball $1600.  The box was in perfect condition.
Stadium Mud Buggies - $ 500
Super Pro Decathlon - $250
Triple Challenge - $150
World Series Major League Baseball - $200-$350

This may be a lot of work and it's not for everyone, but consider flipping.  You can offset cost by buying bigger, more expensive lots with lots of goodies.  A lot of folks back out when the price gets high, so bigger lots usually go relatively cheap vs. the cumulative price of the individual items.  Keep what you need and list the others individually on eBay.  Also, buy duplicate copies of homebrews that sell out quickly.  Wait a bit and trade with someone down the road.  I bought an extra Stonix for like $80 years ago and at one point they were briefly selling for close to $400.  Another member really wanted one and offered me a Congo Bongo for an even trade.  He had paid very little for it, so neither of us had to spend big money to get our items.

I paid $2300 for my original Spiker in Mint condition…I wanted it, It was available, I had the money… so it was worth it to me. :)

Each of us willl determine what the last few games is “worth”. What price is ok for me may not be what is ok for others (or vice-versa).

The above recommendations are exactly truthful. If you wait, be patient, then you will find them in local sales, Marketplace, ebay, goodwill, thrift stores, trades from people here or even may i say…IntellivisionCollector.com :)

Hunting is half the fun!

Totally agree with the last 2 posts.

The hunt is what makes it fun. And.. all collectors imo will agree that their 125 collections took years to put together. Just do some searching on AA and you will read some great stories how collectors fell ass-backwards into some great finds! If you could put these collections together quickly, the value of the games (and the fun) would be very low.

Patience, making good contacts, and a good eye my friend. You have already started with contacts here by posting. Im sure youll get some help now.

20220113_200740.jpg

Edited by Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog
Added pics
  • Like 1

at the risk of starting a fuss...  spiker and stadium mud buggies both have recent official / licensed rereleases that are less expensive to buy new.  they could work for you if you are like me and you cant think of a way to justify not counting them as legitimate versions of those games

Edited by crade
  • Like 2

Another option, or temporary solution for the patient, would be to buy reproduction boxes and just buy the loose carts for now.  That's what I did for Spiker and LF2.  Here's my Spiker:

IMG_20210123_155348.thumb.jpg.e93e448dba11a10c7fbca6661d7da219.jpg

Down the road, if I find one at a yard sale or thrift store for $20, I'll upgrade but for now this is fine.  I'm not interested in paying $1200 for a box to say I've completed my collection.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 9:49 AM, JasonlikesINTV said:

Another option, or temporary solution for the patient, would be to buy reproduction boxes and just buy the loose carts for now.  That's what I did for Spiker and LF2.  Here's my Spiker:

Down the road, if I find one at a yard sale or thrift store for $20, I'll upgrade but for now this is fine.  I'm not interested in paying $1200 for a box to say I've completed my collection.

There are NO reproductions in collecting! Don't be so freakin' cheap! Suffer with the rest of us. (-:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/6/2022 at 11:49 AM, JasonlikesINTV said:

I gotta say if i only needed that one game to complete the collection, id have to bite the bullet. Look at it as an investment. When i bought my first Spiker, i paid $250... which was alot at the time i thought. But, it was one of the last 3 i needed. A couple months later I paid $200 for my last game Congo Bongo. Now look what they are worth.

You can always pull them out and sell if your in a bind. They always sell quick. Thats the good thing about them.

Just my 2c

Edited by Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, SoulBuster said:

Stormtrooper is right.  It is possible to spend more on those last titles than you have already spent on your system and games.

I am basing the following on prices I paid for mine several years ago.  They may be more expensive now.

Diner - $35-60
Pole Position - $20-40
Thunder Castle - $35-60
Tower of Doom - $35-60
World Cup Soccer- $20-30
Worm Whomper - $60-100. This was for a sealed one. I also got a Sealed River raid for $40.

Fathom - $100-150
Congo Bongo - $250
Learning Fun I - $400
Learning Fun II - $500
Triple Challenge - $150

In these days you should probably double most of the prices given by Soulbuster.

You gotta be very patient, sooner or later you could find them around, not only on ebay, but it will take years.

Just don’t make my mistake: I’m stocked at 122, don’t want to pay the current prices for the Spiker and the two LF, so, to kill the time, I did start to collect variants and ended up spending much more than those three games MINT sealed!!!?

On 2/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, vtadave said:

Congo Bongo
Diner
Fathom
Learning Fun I
Learning Fun II
Melody Blaster
Pole Position
Stadium Mud Buggies
Super Pro Decathlon
Thunder Castle
Tower of Doom
Triple Challenge
World Cup Soccer
Worm Whomper

I have the double of two of the rarest fish in your list but I'm too lazy to put them on eBay. PM me if you like.

EDIT: no, no extra Spiker or LF, if you were wondering

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 7:20 AM, SoulBuster said:

Diner - $35-60
Pole Position - $20-40
Thunder Castle - $35-60
Tower of Doom - $35-60
World Cup Soccer- $20-30

Fathom - $100-150
Congo Bongo - $250
Learning Fun I - $400
Learning Fun II - $500
Triple Challenge - $150

They are way more expensive now.  I have seen Pole Position for $90 as an example.

Patience, that is what you need.

Started in 2012 with two great lots coming with original Intellivsion I and most of Intv II hardwares CIB in mint condition...  and Congo Bongo was part of that lot but not shown in the pictures. Most of INTV games were there in mint CIB: Diner, Commando, Dig Dug, Thin Ice, Thunder Castle, all Atarisoft games. With $1400, i had nearly over 90 titles. The missing titles were mainly the remaining Intv series and a few Activision, Coleco or Parker Brothers games (Tut and Cobra...) here in there. I finally completed my original 125 CIB last year. The most difficult to find was the LF1 and LF2 in very good shape for which I was always loosing the bid until... last year! It took me 9 years! so, patience. 

Got the money, but I guess I will need to develop the patience. Went on a buying binge for my last 20 or so that were rare but not super rare like Truckin, Turbo, Tutankahm, etc.  Now taking a pause before going for the rest, but thanks for the support!