Jump to content
CyranoJ

Jumping At Shadows - WIP Platform Game from Reboot-Games

Recommended Posts

With Gravitic Mines completed, we haven't been sitting around partying all day.  

 

Here's a peek into what Reboot-Games has been working on.

 

 

Once more unto the breach, dear friends......

 

This is a tech demonstation of WIP on an upcoming Reboot release tentatively called "Jumping At Shadows".

We are a long way from the finish line, but things are progressing smoothly. 

 

Featuring:
- Fluid 60fps (Reboot accepts no less!)
- Fullscreen 3 layer parallax scrolling
- CRY lighting and transparency effects

- Story line by Andrew Rosa

- Lots and lots of animation!

 

Code: Lawrence Staveley
Sound Engine: LightSpeedPlayer (Arnaud Carre) / Jag Version (ericde45)
Artwork: Ander Lex & Szadi Art
Music: Roald Strauss

 

We are once again aiming for full commercial quality as we did with Gravitic Mines, and will have a downloadable demo with a few levels once things move forward enough to have something that will represent the final version.

 

We'll post updates here as and when... not setting a timetable.. not setting any expectations... we're just making games and having fun.

Join us for the ride!

  • Like 44
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking really good already! What can we expect in terms of difficulty? Some of us found Last Strike/Gravitic Mines too difficult to properly enjoy them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing, @CyranoJ. Very promising so far. The Chinese calendar says that 2022 is the year of the Tiger .... for me it seems that 2022 is more the year of the Jaguar!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MetalKnuckles said:

Looking really good already! What can we expect in terms of difficulty? Some of us found Last Strike/Gravitic Mines too difficult to properly enjoy them. 

Aiming for: casual platform fun, not too punishing, not too easy.

 

There's a bunch of options in Last Strike to adjust difficulty/lives/etc.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BeefMan said:

This looks fantastic, any thoughts around multiplayer? 

I should probably get some friends :)

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The player movement and vertical scrolling remind me of Micro Mages, so then my mind led me to multiplayer. But yah, that complicates testing a bit lol.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already said that on the discord, but this already looks legendary! Seeing a very modern 2d games on the jag gives me the chill!

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Aiming for: casual platform fun, not too punishing, not too easy.

 

There's a bunch of options in Last Strike to adjust difficulty/lives/etc.

Thanks CJ, that's reassuring, I won't give it a pass then. Looking forward to the release!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MetalKnuckles said:

Thanks CJ, that's reassuring, I won't give it a pass then. Looking forward to the release!

Nobody is complaining about Another Worlds difficulty, strange....

But the game will have a less steep learning curve and it's not about gravity - that might help! ;-)

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BeefMan said:

The player movement and vertical scrolling remind me of Micro Mages, so then my mind led me to multiplayer. But yah, that complicates testing a bit lol.

Yeah, good observation, its influenced by MM. But 2 player mode might not be possible I think.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this a lot, the Jaguar definately need more platformers.

 

Kind of reminds me about Hollow Knight.

 

Keep up the good work @CyranoJ and @agradeneu

 

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers itching... Antidepressants at hand to battle that sadness when the lives run out 😁

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work from all involved!  Looking forward to this as the Jag needs a little more variety in its library.  Now that I have a Skunk Board I'll be able to play the demo when it's released.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MetalKnuckles said:

Looking really good already! What can we expect in terms of difficulty? Some of us found Last Strike/Gravitic Mines too difficult to properly enjoy them. 

This question is a bit unfair since difficulty is very dependant on the abilities of the player, dedication and the genre of the game.

All I can say is that we respect the time of the player and that we listen to feedback form the testers.;)

 

Gravitic Mines is a very special genre that not everyone enjoys, Oids/Gravitar veterans and people familar with the genre are enjoying it a lot. So I guess we have succeed.

 

But for platformers, there might be people too that are just not good with these type of games.

Well, you can't make everyone happy, and surely I am not a fan of compromising a game too much, just to please everyone. Because the consequence of this would be that no one would be really satisfied.

 

So the goal is to make a platformer for gamers that love platformers and have a history of playing them.

 

I also might add that most games held in high regard today, challenged the player in one or another way, e.g. Another World, Dark Souls etc.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have casual mobile games that work as a distraction to kill some time between lunch and work.

 

 

 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking really nice. Wish we had such nice looking plattformers (aside of Rayman) back in the day. It's kinda cool to see this stuff coming from you guys for the Jaguar. When I stroll through the XBOX store I am always more interested in the 2D Pixel stuff like Dead Cells, Valfaris, Carrion and this looks as it could be there too. Nice to know it's on the Jaguar though.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

This question is a bit unfair since difficulty is very dependant on the abilities of the player, dedication and the genre of the game.

All I can say is that we respect the time of the player and that we listen to feedback form the testers.;)

 

Gravitic Mines is a very special genre that not everyone enjoys, Oids/Gravitar veterans and people familar with the genre are enjoying it a lot. So I guess we have succeed.

 

But for platformers, there might be people too that are just not good with these type of games.

Well, you can't make everyone happy, and surely I am not a fan of compromising a game too much, just to please everyone. Because the consequence of this would be that no one would be really satisfied.

 

So the goal is to make a platformer for gamers that love platformers and have a history of playing them.

 

I also might add that most games held in high regard today, challenged the player in one or another way, e.g. Another World, Dark Souls etc.

On the other side of the spectrum, you have casual mobile games that work as a distraction to kill some time between lunch and work.

 

 

 

When I act on feedback from testers, I usually feel that the game gets way to easy. When you are developing a game you get really good at playing it, because you need to in order to check the features you implemented (over and over again until it works)

As a developer it is usually a good idea to back down a little bit on the difficulty, because no other person is ready to spend the same ammount of time on the game as the developer(s).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking very good. I like that you're using CRY to do lighting and transparency. Are you going to do any crazy scaling effects or anything like that?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Art style is fantastic! Will the game have other mechanics than jumping on the enemies? Nonetheless, looks very promising in the current state!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fully agree agradeneu. As you say, it is impossible to please everyone and there are many hardcore gamers out there looking for old school difficulty in a homebrew. Especially as games got too easy nowadays. I certainly would not think less of a game and all the high quality work behind it because of that. I just like to know what to expect before I decide to purchase a game, as we do not always have the possibility to wait for reviews. And I know I am the type of gamer that easily gives up if I struggle to get past level 1 after 1h!

Edited by MetalKnuckles
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...