Jump to content
thegenerallee86

My GEOS128 disk or my 1571 Drive Problem very strange issue?

Recommended Posts

I think there may be a weird issue with my GEOS128 System disk it boots fine on my Commodore 128 if I use my 1541 Disk drive but will not work on my 1571 drive though it did boot when I first got it a couple times then just stopped though? I can read the disk fine if I list it on the main commodore 128 screen and will read fine and validate fine in GEOS when I use the Backup disk that came with it? Also have tried cleaning heads with cleaning diskette, all my other boot diskettes work fine like the CP/M 3.0, 1571 Test/Demo Disk, also any other diskettes that don't boot will also read fine but I have no blank disks to check formatting etc, but the person who I just bought it from said he tested everything on it before shipping to me and everything worked perfect and he tried games, blank disks, etc? Please and Thank You.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I know that the 1571 is flaky when using the original ROM.  Did you install the upgrade ROM (or JiffyDOS) in your 1571?

 

That may cure your problem,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

June 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2022 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RobertB said:

Hmm, I know that the 1571 is flaky when using the original ROM.  Did you install the upgrade ROM (or JiffyDOS) in your 1571?

 

That may cure your problem,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

June 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2022 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

No I didn't and don't really have a way to upgrade the original rom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, thegenerallee86 said:

No I didn't and don't really have a way to upgrade the original rom.

Use this program to see what ROM version you have in the 1571;

https://commodore.software/downloads/download/149-miscellaneous-utilities/12217-rom-check-1571

Most ROM are socketed. If you need an upgrade, post it here. I think I still have one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, motrucker said:

Use this program to see what ROM version you have in the 1571;

https://commodore.software/downloads/download/149-miscellaneous-utilities/12217-rom-check-1571

Most ROM are socketed. If you need an upgrade, post it here. I think I still have one.

 

The only thing is I have no way of writing to a commodore formatted disk from my pc I need to get the cable for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, thegenerallee86 said:

No I didn't and don't really have a way to upgrade the original rom.

All you have to do is pull the original ROM and replace it with an upgrade ROM or a JiffyDOS ROM.

 

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan

June 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2022 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, thegenerallee86 said:

The only thing is I have no way of writing to a commodore formatted disk from my pc I need to get the cable for it.

Where are you located? There may be some one close enough to you to just pop over with the program, and help. This used to be quite common, today you might just get lucky ☺️.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, motrucker said:

Where are you located? There may be some one close enough to you to just pop over with the program, and help. This used to be quite common, today you might just get lucky ☺️.

 

Orange, VT, USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...