IGNORED

Can someone please explain why Super Baseball exists?

Room 34

/\/\/\/\ Well, he's had plenty of time to try it since 2003

lol, I have played 5200 Baseball a few times in the last 15 years, impressive for it's era. But in the last 15 years I've also been corrupted by MLB The Show on Playstation. I think I spent two years getting my minor leaguer into the Show and onto the Hall of Fame!

• Like 1

Super Baseball is a bug fix and very mildly enhanced version of RS Baseball. Why Atari decided to just apply a fresh coat of paint to RS Baseball instead of developing an all new game like they did with Super Football is beyond me. As some have pointed out, they beefed up the AI a bit too much.

• Like 2

There is no AI... 2 player only.

You are thinking of Super "Challenge" Baseball.

Nice confidence though - going against several others on the thread with direct memories of playing against the computer, also ignoring the option to look up the game here on AtariAge or just follow the links to the reviews posted.

Did they fix bunting for home runs?

I played Super Baseball for about 40 mins this weekend with my nephew. I didn't read the manual, but it seems you press up and swing to bunt. Every time I did this, the ball died in front of the catcher and one of us got someone out as a result. I can't remember what happens in RS baseball with bunts, but they seem to be appropriately powered in Super Baseball.

Nice confidence though - going against several others on the thread with direct memories of playing against the computer, also ignoring the option to look up the game here on AtariAge or just follow the links to the reviews posted.

Easy there . We all misremember things from time to time.

You are correct, I was referring to the other game. It was a mis-read.

No need to get snappy, sir. I appreciate you correcting my information on the thread. We don't need to be misleading people.

its funny the only reason i own my xbox is so i can play baseball games(and my girlfriend can play tony hawk) i cant stand any baseball games from the classic systems...is pete rose baseball for the 2600 worth a shot?

little league baseball for nes is the first baseball game to come out that i still regularly play.

5200 Baseball is awesome.

• 3 years later...

Last night, I played a 10 inning game of Super Baseball against the CPU and once again when batting I was unable to reach first base at all.  I just quit out of frustration.  Is it even possible to get a hit or walk against the computer in one-player mode?

I also played a full 9 inning game of 2600 Real Sports Baseball against the CPU and let the final score stay at 1-0.  Obviously you can score runs basically at will against the computer but I do find trying to pitch a perfect game against them to be a somewhat satisfying experience.  Having to move your first baseman every time to catch the throw makes for an interesting task.  And this is a very nostalgic game for me as I spent many hours in 1983 with it trying to dominate it.  I am pretty sure I once scored 100 runs - only to see the score go from 99 to 0.

With a few tweaks (like physical pitch control like 5200 Baseball) RS Baseball could be a great game!