IGNORED

To build or not to build?

JohnPCAE

Now that the designs and code are public, do you plan to build an Advanced Console Component (a.k.a. "Bird's nest")?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to build one?

• You bet!
    • Maybe, maybe not. I haven't decided.
    • Nope, not interested in it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It's an add-on that plugs into the cartridge port. It's main ability is that it generates video that gets overlaid on top of the existing Intellivision video, and the Intellivision can control it. It supports high resolution text and/or graphics and extra sprites. It also provides 128kb RAM, an emulated coprocessor, and a parallel port. Take a look at the thread titled "Bird's Nest" to see more.

Edited by JohnPCAE

3 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

Take a look at the thread titled "Bird's Nest" to see more

I spent quite some time reading this thread. Very interesting, but way outside of my scope of knowledge. But I like learning new things all the time so I read things like this to keep my brain from shriveling up as I age.?

Edited by walldog1
typo correction
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

It's an add-on that plugs into the cartridge port. It's main ability is that it generates video that gets overlaid on top of the existing Intellivision video, and the Intellivision can control it. It supports high resolution text and/or graphics and extra sprites. It also provides 128kb RAM, an emulated coprocessor, and a parallel port. Take a look at the thread titled "Bird's Nest" to see more.

When I first saw this, I thought you were making a Keyboard Component emulator on a cartridge.

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

When I first saw this, I thought you were making a Keyboard Component emulator on a cartridge.

Graphics-wise, it's the Keyboard Component on steroids. It can do everything the Keyboard Component can do and much more. Its coprocessor is an extended CP-1600 instead of a 6502, so you'd have to port Keyboard Component software over to it, but that only scratches the surface of what it can do. For instance, it could handle a port of Petscii Robots easily.

Any chance of making this a semi-viable release to the general public? I would be interested in possibly funding a few games that utilize it if a commitment is made. Over several years it could be as ubiquitous as the LTO Flash Cart. 

I don't have the skills or patience to build one.

29 minutes ago, BBWW said:

Any chance of making this a semi-viable release to the general public? I would be interested in possibly funding a few games that utilize it if a commitment is made. Over several years it could be as ubiquitous as the LTO Flash Cart. 

Ditto.

15 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

You had me at “extra sprites” ?

48 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

We would need a lot more Original, Sears, Tandyvisions, Slyvannia's, Bandai's, Super Pro and Intellivision III's with the System Changer mod as well as it's limited to the Intellivision II if I read correctly.  Also is it limited to RF output?  Still it looks very promising.

It works with composite-modded Intys as well.

23 hours ago, BBWW said:

I don't think I have it in me to manufacture these en masse, but I've cobbled together an extra unit with the parts I have (except for the parallel port connector; that hasn't arrived yet). I'm not sure if I have enough parts for a third unit. I've tested the extra unit (except for the parallel port, of course) and it works.

Edited by JohnPCAE

On 2/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, JohnPCAE said:

I don't think I have it in me to manufacture these en masse, but I've cobbled together an extra unit with the parts I have (except for the parallel port connector; that hasn't arrived yet). I'm not sure if I have enough parts for a third unit. I've tested the extra unit (except for the parallel port, of course) and it works.

I'd be willing to pay for the parts and service of getting one unit built.  PM me if you are interested. :)

-dZ.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

I have an extra unit that I offered to DZ-Jay but then he disappeared. I'd like to send it to someone who would be interested in developing for it.

I'm really sorry, and I truly appreciate the offer.  I actually meant to respond sooner, but I've been very busy with $DAYJOB.  It may be best to offer it to someone who has the time to develop for it, for I may not be able to get to it for some time.  I would happily aid anybody who picks this up.  I could also assist in IntyBASIC integration.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've started on another spare unit using my last spare cartridge board (I had a total of three cartridge boards and five mainboards: the cartridge boards were from OSH park for the gold-plated contacts and the main boards were from JLC PCB for the much lower cost). At present assembly of the unit is on hold until I can recover from an acute neck strain issue (I'm typing this in a great deal of pain).

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on a second spare unit, though it's been going slow due to this neck injury (had an MRI today and yeah, there's a problem, including pinched nerves). When it's done I'll have two units that I can send for free to anyone who's interested in developing for them (I don't want them to just sit on a collector's shelf).