IGNORED

FS1

ClausB

As much as I admire the port I have to admit I was too lazy to fly around for more than a few minutes. I managed a take-off (mostly) staying on the runway and even managed to stabilise altitude and heading (no mean feat) but never managed to see the mountains. While we are supposed to always fly nice, stable 3-degree approaches in the airliners (and since my youth a lot of rules have bee added to prevent unstabilised ones) I'd probably need twice the distance to set up a stabilised approach in the FS1 Camel-Cub (let alone finding the airport). 

I remember very eagerly looking forward to FS2 for the Atari (and a friend and myself bought a copy each for a hefty sum the day it came out) but being a bit disappointed about actually flying it. Neither my dad nor I ever warmed up to this digital manipulation of analog control surfaces and my dad later even bought a C64 to host a then very popular IFR procedure trainer (LAS84 IIRC) that had its own analog stick (but no real visuals, flights ended at minimums) which was way easier to fly.

@ClausB you nevertheless deserve thanks to allow us Atarians to catch a glimpse on what was to be the roots of a remarkably successful industry. What started as crude, jerky line drawings has surpassed the graphical fidelity of the average airline flight simulator in the meantime, giving the "amateurs" much more detailed graphics than the "pros" (if usually on smaller screens). 

• Like 3

I enjoy having a CIB copy of FSII, and I appreciate the effort Claus put in to back-port FS1 to our beloved Atari machines. But lemme tell you, things sure have improved from those humble roots.

E7665815-D6FC-43A3-9AE1-267CD906CFA7.thumb.jpeg.f0d6d2e93f1fc25f6cdaf678f52d6805.jpeg

87CB2953-9C8E-4CE3-B3B7-FD462CF89FE2.thumb.jpeg.62bac0a8e55e26dc5162c3ff96350f6d.jpeg

F511A4F3-1077-4575-8FFB-BA512C7E5BD2.thumb.jpeg.c1f452abd6a85a9c295def5019efda4b.jpeg

Of course, it’s gonna take a much more powerful machine to run than a 48K 1.79Mhz 6502. ;)

107B83F0-C54E-4298-B2E3-97C09EF44417.thumb.jpeg.cdec1ec9f2ce6ac86ff0baf4222eec02.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ClausB said:

Press U to see the mountains and wider scenery. Press D to see the home airport detail.

I recall the manual (too lazy to read it now) saying it was simulating UP/DOWN landing gear.

Seems they had to do something to reduce how many lines were drawn. Keep the framerate up.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 7:46 PM, Keatah said:

I recall the manual (too lazy to read it now) saying it was simulating UP/DOWN landing gear.

Seems they had to do something to reduce how many lines were drawn. Keep the framerate up.

Now that’s an interesting concept. Keep the gear down which will cost you a little climb performance but keeps those pesky mountains away… Need to try that the next time I get an engine failure in the sim….

• Haha 2