IGNORED

Considering making a text adventure

wierd_w

I know InfoCom adventures are platform agnostic (as long as there is an interpreter, it works), so asking here is a bit of a stretch, but there is more talent to leverage here with the question.

I am strongly considering creating a text adventure.  Can I get pointed at some more... Modern? ... authoring tools?

PunyInform looks reasonable, but are there any other options to choose from? Etc

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 2

Ok, From what I am reading, PunyInform needs Inform6 compiler.

I have that downloaded and installed for linux (after building it from source). However, the installation instructions for punyinform are ONLY for windows versions of the compiler. There appear to be absolutely no instructions for using it on linux.

I could use a little hand holding on how to set this up.

• 2 weeks later...

Borogove.app is a great resource, and it was just updated to the latest PunyInform version.

To use PunyInform on Linux, you may want to check out Inform6Unix: https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/inform6unix . It includes the latest version of PunyInform as well, and instructions on installation and use.

You should also join our Discord server for PunyInform - see link at https://github.com/johanberntsson/PunyInform#community . It easy to get help there.

If you've already managed to build the compiler from source (note that you need v6.36), you should just put it in your path, and to compile say `minimal.inf` you start a shell, go to the PunyInform folder and type:

inform +lib minimal.inf -v3es

The first part is the name of the compiler executable (typically inform or inform6),

`+lib` means "if the program needs library files, expect to find them in directory lib".

-v3es is a set of compile options that I often use: v3 means compile to a version 3 story file (*.z3), e means use abbreviations to make the story file shorter, s means show statistics for the story file.