IGNORED

XL/XE power supply reverse polarity?

vilo999

Hi,

I've just bought 2 power supplies for my Atari 130XE and my Atari 800XE as I lost my previous power supplies during moving. I've bought the new power supplies from here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324218268282

Now, this seller has MANY positive reviews and experience, so I'm probably reading every schematic / pinout wrong. The adapters do look hand made though - the connector part - maybe a mistake was made.

I've connected both supplies to my 130XE, and nothing. No signal, completely dead. Ok, I've tried the 800XE. Same, dead. I've measured the power supply and it gives 5volts, it is rated at 1amp. Still nothing.

But then, I started noticing the polarity might be wrong. It's reversed from just about any picture / pinout I can find. So I've opened the computer and measured. Please see photo attached.

Is this the correct polarity, and my Ataris just died, or is the polarity reversed? If reversed, did I just kill my computers?:(

Thank you all a lot.

IMG_20220214_161114.jpg

IMG_20220214_161139.jpg

Thank you, it was reversed! :/ I had to cut the leads, and solder them swapped to make the power supply right. Thankfully, the machines DO boot up into basic via RF! So I'm lucky on that part. Does that mean the reverse polarity did not damage them, or is there a chance something is damaged?

You may have been lucky because the electrolytic capacitors inside may have gone almost short

circuit and the PSU probably has over current protection and shut down, I would check all

electrolytic capacitors in your machine, check for swelling, I think you may have been lucky

as it was only rated 1 Amp, if it had been any more I would have expected the capacitors

to overheat and maybe explode.

Personally I would replace all the electrolytic Capacitors anyway just to be safe.

If you're replacing power supplies, I would recommend the ones from The Brewing Academy. I got one for my 64k 600XL and it works just fine. Hard to believe that little wall wart is the modern replacement for those huge bricks! Switching power supplies would have made life a lot better back in the 80s.

1 hour ago, Mrshoujo said:

If you're replacing power supplies, I would recommend the ones from The Brewing Academy. I got one for my 64k 600XL and it works just fine. Hard to believe that little wall wart is the modern replacement for those huge bricks! Switching power supplies would have made life a lot better back in the 80s.

I 2nd his opinion of TBA's PSUs.  Good stuff. Reliable. 

Hello, I've let the seller know, he didn't say anything and just wanted me to send the adapters back, I refused and told him I want my money back anyway, and he refunded me today. It's scary that ebay listing has 150+ units sold already. How many of them are reversed like this?

As for the computers I am very lucky they still work, I measured the PSU with system on before and voltage dropped to 1volt, so it was activating it's over current protection. Unfortunately I don't have equipment to test capacitors so I might just as well replace them. They don't look swelled but the RF picture quality is far worse than I remember, but that might be due to the new TV I have. Thank you all for your replies! :)