IGNORED

Which minikernel lets you put a dot (period) in the score?

Random Terrain

I'd like to make a quick example program where fixed point 8.8 sprite speed can be changed by pressing the fire button and moving the joystick.

The score would show things such as 0.10, 0.25, 0.50, 0.85, 1.50, 2.10, and so on.

Which is the quickest and easiest minikernel to use to put a dot or period or whatever it's called in the score?

Thanks.

You shouldn't need to use a Minikernel. I'd probably use RevEng's custom score_graphics.asm file in your project directory, and make your own period glyph to use instead of one of the hex digits.

Alternately, and maybe simpler if you don't need any other custom symbols, you can copy the stock bB scure_graphics.asm from the includes directory to your project directory and edit that. After the numbers there is a blank digit defined that is accessible with a $A value in the appropriate score nybble. This would normally turn that score digit blank. If you edit the blank digit, you could make it into a period instead.

ifnconst DPC_kernel_options

.byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000 

endif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Alternately, and maybe simpler if you don't need any other custom symbols, you can copy the stock bB score_graphics.asm from the includes directory to your project directory and edit that. After the numbers there is a blank digit defined that is accessible with a $A value in the appropriate score nybble. This would normally turn that score digit blank. If you edit the blank digit, you could make it into a period instead.

ifnconst DPC_kernel_options

.byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000
         .byte %00000000 

endif

Thanks. I chose that option since it seemed quick and easy. I have the period in the score now.

Next will be how to efficiently let the user select the speed in the score and have that reflected in the actual speed of the sprite. For example, if the user selects 1.02, I'll have to match that.

Instead of letting the user move the sprite, I might just have two sprites bouncing back and forth horizontally. The user would be able to select between the sprites in the same way that they can when using the Find Border Coordinates example program (by holding the fire button and pressing up or down). Once a sprite is selected, the user would move the joystick up/down to quickly change the numbers or left/right to slowly change the numbers like they can in the 8 x 8 World example program.

• Like 3