IGNORED

Xeno Crisis, and games like it on the Jaguar.

Gunther

I recently played xeno crisis on Genesis and it's great. If it were straight ported to Jaguar with no frills it would still seem like a quality game in the jags library. The audio, including the samples, is great quality unlike the many scratchy pcm samples used in 90s Genesis games, and the graphics work well with the color palette and you don't get the feeling that they had to reduce colors or choose weird colors to get things to work for the graphics on screen.  Gameplay is very smooth, fast and fun. Nothing the jag couldn't do, but also nothing that feels like it needs to be upgraded.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

If someone does port Xeno Crisis, please use the same control layout as Total Carnage.

This allows single gamepad to be used to build a TwinStick.

If you force TwinStick controls to use two control pads (not recommended) it costs more and might limit two player co-op, or require additional hardware.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, grips03 said:

If someone does port Xeno Crisis, please use the same control layout as Total Carnage.

If you force TwinStick controls to use two control pads (not recommended) it costs more and might limit two player co-op, or require additional hardware.

Why not both?

The programmer should include multiple control configurations, and allow the user to choose whichever one he prefers.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 9:29 PM, grips03 said:

Or, many games simply let you customize the button layout. There are many control layouts any individual player might find best suited for them. I prefer the way Super Smash TV was implemented on the SNES. That could easily be worked on a Pro Controller.

Jaguar Total Carnage missed on that opportunity, much to my dismay. It's nonsensical to not have customizable button layouts, especially with an 18 button controller!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, phoboz said:

If we can't have Xeno Crisis on the Jaguar, why not an action RPG like Xeno Crisis?

Looking good.

Will it have twin-stick controls for the 3-, and 6-button controllers?

The 3-button controller would get a cool keypad overlay, and the 6-button could use C,B,Z, and X as a second D-pad.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 3:57 AM, Gunther said:

Bitmap Bureau's quality twin-stick shooter has enjoyed ports to the Neo-Geo, Dreamcast, and modern platforms.
As the Jaguar only has Llamatron and Total Carnage, Xeno Crisis would make a welcome addition to the Jaguar's library.

Edited by Charlie Cat
Comment was removed due to request by the topic starter.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

If you ask me it's like the Legend of Zelda ;-)

I got Zelda meets Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) vibes out the gate. Xeno Crisis is ... isometric too, I guess? Well, and there's combat (action), plus leveling and add-ons (rpg) elements.

I love this game, I have it on Sega Genesis and Neo Geo CD.  I prefer the Sega version by a mile as I can use the 6 button like a twin stick.  This game would run perfectly on the Jaguar if not better just by using the 68000 and obviously better colors and maybe some sprite scaling.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It seems that nobody catched this but BB has responded in regards to a Jaguar port, with Songbird Productions offering assistance to port the game on Jaguar.

https://twitter.com/BitmapBureau/status/1642277876794900481

If anybody follows BB on their account, they posted an imagen of a recent magazine interview they did, where they formally talked about PS1 and GBA versions nearing completion. It seems that they really want to compete against the likes of Doom and Lemmings to see how many consoles they can possibly port their game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...