IGNORED

Bad Apple Demo?

pixelpedant

There was a brief discussion in the Zoom user group meeting yesterday about the "Bad Apple" demo which has had variations implement on a whole slew of different legacy systems. 

For example, ZX Spectrum:

And Intellivision:

Seems like ripe material for anyone who feels like exploring some given category of full screen motion demo on the TI-99.  Maybe a multicolor mode demo?  Or a PETSCIIish use of Mode 1.  

Naturally, the tools exist (thanks to Tursi) for generation of bitmap FMV demos, so that's possible.  But it would seem to me a fast full screen mono demo (or some implementations use grey, but that would complicate things substantially) is a quite different category.

Regardless, likewise thanks to Tursi, the digital audio tools exist.  So that's covered. 

• Like 4

I personally think the ti99 version is by far one of the best on that generation of platforms. The fact that it has the real digital audio really sets it apart. I guess a version with PSG audio would probably sound a lot like the master system version:

Regarding the video itself, I really prefer the high res look of Tursi's version over the more blocky variants on other systems.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:03 PM, hloberg said:

one improvement would be to use the music only version like the Atari 8-bit. the voice sounds distorted on the TI99

As the video says in the description, the source video I was working from had badly over-amplified audio, causing a lot of clipping. I need a clean audio source to do it right. The only place it sounds right is around the orchestra bit, when the audio is low enough not to clip.

But anyone else is welcome to ;) Since mine is just a hack of the video tools to run in monochrome (so that I could double the framerate), it takes too much memory to be useful for a cartridge.

13 hours ago, tmop69 said:

is the .bin available for TI99 version? I would like to try it on MiSTer TI99 core. 

I never built it into a bin - when I did it even the gigacart didn't exist yet, so it ran through Classic99 with a pseudo cartridge. Hell, if you look at the source code, Classic99 couldn't even play the sampled audio when I did this.

We could redo it, I suppose, but again, I need a cleaner source. (Although I see it's less than 16MB, so it would fit on a standard bank switched cart - though still bigger than any we've made). Of that, audio is 3MB. Also, since it was that far back, there's a good chance that the playback speed is a little slow, since it wasn't till Dragon's Lair that I got the hardware speed right.

To run this, you have to run a hack from the command line. It assumes a hardware cartridge with auto-incrementing memory, which was one of my original plans. It wasn't necessary in the end, but that's what this code uses. From the command line:

classic99.exe finalPACK.bin

Then go into Editor/Assembler, #3, load videomono.obj. #4 run program name : MAIN

Audio is quite soft, and yeah, it sounds slow on current Classic99, and very clipped. But I did this a long time ago! ;) Not going to work on MISTER though.

badappleti_wip.zip

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheMole said:

I personally think the ti99 version is by far one of the best on that generation of platforms. The fact that it has the real digital audio really sets it apart. I guess a version with PSG audio would probably sound a lot like the master system version

Nice! The TI should be able to meet that Master System version bit for bit, depending on how they update the screen. It looks bloody nice! Sounds less cool, but, essentially the same sound chip as the TI. ;)

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 12:03 PM, hloberg said:

one improvement would be to use the music only version like the Atari 8-bit. the voice sounds distorted on the TI99

I quite like the sound of that one, but, the Pokey always has a unique sound. The karaoke mode is nice too. ;)

The every-other-scanline thing is something I wish we could do on the TI to stretch low res screens... but I've not been able to think of a way that's significantly faster than just writing actual data. We could double up scanlines, but we don't get to save any time for the stretch (defeating most of the purpose) and it looks blockier than every other line.

I reckon if the 4a version used PSG audio like everyone else, we'd have to do our own special thing and be the first second demo with synthesized speech lyrics.

First is the NEC PC-6601, apparently.

Edited by JB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

I'm curious what synthesizer the PC-6601 used.  Can't find anything, on initial googling.  Just lots of general mention of it.  But probably a General Instrument part, I guess. 

Good guess! PSG AY-3-8910. Here:

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=177

29 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Well, that's the PSG.  So it's pretty likely the speech synthesizer was likewise a GI chip.  But that would have been in addition to the PSG. 

It's listed here as optional on the Mk2:

https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=394

6 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

I'm curious what synthesizer the PC-6601 used.  Can't find anything, on initial googling.  Just lots of general mention of it.  But probably a General Instrument part, I guess. 

"upd7752 voice speech device" according to MAME source. 

Which makes a degree of sense, as it was an NEC-manufactured part.

Datasheet seems to be available online.

https://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/7087/NEC/UPD7759.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...