IGNORED

PAL game questions

Leonard Smith

Hidey Ho Neighbors,

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I have 3 questions regarding the 7800 PAL game releases:

(1) Are the PAL boxes identical to NTSC versions?  So if I buy an NTSC Alien Brigade cart, could I buy the PAL box and basically have a full set?

(2) With PAL carts, what are the distinguishing marks for visually identifying a PAL vs NTSC cart?

(3) Are the instructions included with PAL games different (ie: multiple languages, etc) than a NTSC manual?

1)  Sometimes... Sometimes they're the same box, sometimes they say PAL on them somewhere.

2) 'P' sticker on the back as long as it hasn't fallen off or they remmebered to put it on in the first place.

3) Usually they come with a leaflet in English, some times seperate ones in other langauges. Sometimes they're between the box and the cellophane seal, like they forgot to put them in when they boxed them up.

It's a complete crap shoot with most of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1) I owned a complete set of PAL 7800 until selling it recently, didn't spot any differences box wise between PAL and NTSC.

2) Only a P sticker on the cart that was liable to fall off.

3) Exactly the same, some releases in Germany or France had a local language photocopy attached to the outside of the box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely seen different boxes for NTSC and PAL.  I have seen 2 Food Fight boxes with one saying  for North American and other NTSC tv sets only, and the other not saying that. Pictures are screen grabs from current listings on ebay. 

I have  Food Fight with a P sticker on the cart but the box has NTSC on it, so as juansolo says, it' a crap shoot.

20220223_211934.png

20220223_211906.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Howzit. Both in my ancestral home of Suid-Afrika and my adopted home of Australia, PAL has always been with me. In the case of "Food Fight", ja the box states these things but I've never seen it on any other PAL titles let me tell you. The box for "Asteroids" states this also but that title is built-in to PAL consoles. As a completionist, I have the box and Game Manual. Sometimes I have bought PAL cartridge and have then bought the same title from Amerika for the box and Game Manual. Man, NTSC titles are very cheap I'm telling you!

If you want to be sure you are buying a correct cartridges here's some ideas okey?

If a game includes cheap b/w translations in either the French or the German.

Ja, the P sticker is very good proof

Do not assume that because you are buying from a seller in a PAL territory that it IS PAL! I once bought a beautiful edition of Dig Dug from the Netherlands only to discover it is NTSC! They had a few of these pragtig looking titles and I had them check these quick blerrie smart and all were NTSC. 

On the other side, man you can pick up cheap nice looking PAL titles from Amerika!

And so also! Complete titles from Amerika come with an Atari Warranty Card. As far as the box art and printing goes there's no difference. But please tell me otherwise I'd like to know   aye?