IGNORED

HSC19 (2022) R3: PAC-MAN

therealbountybob

PAC-MAN

Chomping home to win the R3 poll it's PAC-MAN yes he's back in the HSC and ready to roll, he has no legs so that's probably a good thing ... late night here in HSC HQ :-D

PacMan_2.gif.8f837f264f4f086af3c30d8ac9b42d2c.gif

Datasoft/with intermissions, unless you only have original 1982 Atari version. Start on default level. Anyone with kids playing try one of the other Atari versions it's much easier (can anyone link it)?

[edit] There are several versions of the Atari pac-man game, if possible please make sure you use the one with the title screen 'attract mode' showing the characters and nicknames screen after a minute or so. The file version without them is easier. If you have another version where the ghosts don't move it's not the right game either ;)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-pac-man_5987.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-pac-man_3857.html

or check fandal's one to see if it plays the same...

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2626

Hope you're all enjoying play and will stick with us for the season. If anyone wants to write a game review or anything else for the next Pro(c) Atari Magazine let me know :)

If you missed R1 or R2 or both late scores welcome, join right in :thumbsup:

I've posted the current standings with scores for the first two rounds.

Round closes Monday 7th March 10pm UK time

I'm probably causing confusion! As far as I know the Atari 1982 and Datasoft versions are the same. I think there is a early? release of the Atari version that is easier but I might be mistaken, but it would be good for the little ones.

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, McKong said:

I just played the ones from the links and they play the same as the original cartridge, as far as I can tell, albeit with the added intermissions on the one

I find the Datasoft (with the cut scenes) tougher...  Of course it could just be in my head.  But my pattern for clearing the 1st third of the board doesn't work on the Datasoft and it does on the Atari Cart.  So there is definitely some differences...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yup, I'm terrible at Pac-Man. :)

Playing on the original cart, 54800 is my best so far.  I'm embarrassed to say my first game I didn't even crack 10k though LOL.

Those first 3-4 levels are the hardest because it is *so* slow.  Once it speeds up a bit I feel better about everything.  If I remember correctly when I played Pac-Man back in the 80s on my Atari I think I'd just start it at the key level.  What I don't remember though is the sounds being off.  I know people crap on the VCS version of Pac-Man but I actually like that version more than this one.

Mind you I no longer really care about home versions of arcade games since I started using MAME 25ish years ago.  :)

• Like 3

Never played this version of Pac-Man before, it does seem very playable, enjoyable even.

First Effort!

PAC-MAN : 52,070

52070.thumb.JPG.ca7c0055582e9823f89cc67b2ec3f9da.JPG

Funny I'm actually pretty good at the Atari 2600 version, worked out some patterns ( see the Video if interested )

Edited by nads
  • Like 6

Pac-Man versions:

On 2/22/2022 at 10:14 AM, McKong said:

I just played the ones from the links and they play the same as the original cartridge, as far as I can tell, albeit with the added intermissions on the one

On 2/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, Atari8guy said:

I find the Datasoft (with the cut scenes) tougher...  Of course it could just be in my head.  But my pattern for clearing the 1st third of the board doesn't work on the Datasoft and it does on the Atari Cart.  So there is definitely some differences...

If you guys / anyone can compare the Datasoft and Atari versions during play to comment further on the differences, possibly just different logic, not necessarily easier, just what you are familiar with?

Also: Anyone know if there are Atari Cart Versions with and without the attract screens on the titles (showing the character names). I will have imaged the file version I have without them which I think is easier and posted it here.

Pac-Man 1982 Atari - No title attract screens.ATR

I'm not finding this one too easy.  76030 on the Datasoft version.  I have a cartridge version (the one I grew up with) around here somewhere.  Might give that one a try, but I remember always starting on Key level as a kid.  I remember my sister and I would always try to beat 100,000.  She did but I don't think I ever did.

image.thumb.png.87643e47f85b376386cf18de6dc389f2.png

• Like 4