IGNORED

Tempest 4000 (in VCS Store)

marss

That's always has been the problem with Tempest 4000, it's only made with a modern gamepad in mind and nothing else.  The Steam version has keyboard control but the default keys are weird. (What other game uses the Left Bumper to "pause"? :?)  Worse, there is zero mouse support!

Even with the analog thumb stick it's still single speed moving the claw so it plays more like T2K on a D-Pad than the varible control the arcade original had with the spinner, so even with the twisting stick on the VCS Classic Controler it still won't feel like right.

T4K is a good game and worth being on the VCS library, but it's just not the original Tempest...

Here's my review of Tempest 4000, for this one I am recommending watching it on Facebook instead of YouTube because the YouTube video encoder has been having a bit of trouble dealing with this game, and the final output keeps being worse than the version on Facebook and my original output: https://www.facebook.com/MockduckPlaysGames/videos/1150622579058984/

If you prefer, though, here's the version from YouTube:

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why all the complaints in this thread as I recently purchased Tempest 4k on Atari VCS and it seems great to me with the Classic Joystick Spinner.

It did take me a few games to get used to the controls and to learn how to navigate the menus but after that it is a very enjoyable gameplay experience and the spinner seems to work quite well enough for me.

download (2).jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, leech said:

I wonder if Polybius will also see a VCS release?  That game is awesome on the PS4, and even more awesome in VR.

I would love to see all the old Minter games get a release. GridRunner and Llamatron would be great.

I actually could not get Polybius running on the VCS in Windows until I upgraded the RAM and allocated more memory to the video card. Until then it would crash on startup but now it runs smoothly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a VCS, and the first thing I did after setting it up and trying a few of the vault games was get T4K. I agree it took a while to figure out the classic controller controls, but once I could navigate the menus and figured out the Atari button was the super zapper, I was set. I prefer it over the modern controller controls, which feel far too "floaty," maybe too much inertia or something. I can't stop on a dime with either like I can on the Jaguar version though. I just have to slide back and forth over the web lane I'm targeting. Still, overall, I played for a few hours in my first sitting, which is a lot for me. Fun game, and worth the $20 it cost.

To find this game, I did have to basically scroll through every game in the store (Why no search function or sort by date option?), and I only saw maybe 3 or 4 others that looked mildly interesting. Are there other games of this caliber on the store worth checking out? Four or  five games of this quality or higher, and I'd probably be all set. I don't ask that much of a system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cubanismo said:

To find this game, I did have to basically scroll through every game in the store (Why no search function or sort by date option?), and I only saw maybe 3 or 4 others that looked mildly interesting. Are there other games of this caliber on the store worth checking out? Four or  five games of this quality or higher, and I'd probably be all set. I don't ask that much of a system.

Congratulations on your acquisition.  There is an update to the store coming.  Sorry, I don't know the details or if a search function will be included.  As far as games, check out the Recharged series as it is really good for arcade action.  Games in the store have been pretty carefully selected and are pretty high quality (some are a little short on content, but still fun), depending on your preferences.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I just got a VCS, and the first thing I did after setting it up and trying a few of the vault games was get T4K. I agree it took a while to figure out the classic controller controls, but once I could navigate the menus and figured out the Atari button was the super zapper, I was set. I prefer it over the modern controller controls, which feel far too "floaty," maybe too much inertia or something. I can't stop on a dime with either like I can on the Jaguar version though. I just have to slide back and forth over the web lane I'm targeting. Still, overall, I played for a few hours in my first sitting, which is a lot for me. Fun game, and worth the $20 it cost.

Yeah, the storefront feels like the Switch, but not in a good way. Both use "cards" for their storefront that quickly loses just about anything not in the first results. Here's what I'd tell you to check out re: high quality caliber games for the VCS:

1. Thrustlander - Highly polished and deep precision cave shooter with a whole 2600-style version of the game attached.

2. Danger Scavenger - Run and gunner similar in style to a twin stick shooter, deep crafting and itemization for this kind of game. Hard and fun.

3. Something Ate My Alien - Unusual 2D collector/platformer game that is also highly polished and high caliber.

4. Guntech - The only issue with this recommendation is it and Thrustlander are in the same general arena, but they are both among the best on the console. So, as long as you are into this kind of game, probably get both.

5. Kombinera - New Atari puzzle game, well made. 

ALSO: Make sure to download the FREE Unsung Warriors - Prologue. It's an incredible hour of gaming.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I agree it took a while to figure out the classic controller controls, but once I could navigate the menus and figured out the Atari button was the super zapper, I was set. I prefer it over the modern controller controls, which feel far too "floaty," maybe too much inertia or something. I can't stop on a dime with either like I can on the Jaguar version though. I just have to slide back and forth over the web lane I'm targeting.

I have the same issue and this seems to be a bug in the game.  When I stop moving, my craft still moves 1 or 2 spots to the left or right, depending on which direction I was pointing.  Is this how Tempest 4K plays in other console/PC versions?  I guess this could be a "feature not a bug" as the argument could be made your ship has momentum that keeps you going after you are doing pressing the direction, but that's a weird way to control and not at all how Tempest 2000 controlled.

Until this gets fixed, I am very disappointed.

• Like 2

The controls remind me of TxK on the Vita, but there you used the shoulder buttons to anchor onto a space, then you could stick left or right to move exactly one space left or right. That is lacking in the 4k version. I too think there is intentional deceleration, but maybe it is just improperly floaty controls.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I revisited this today after playing some BPM Boy, and I think I the modern controller controls finally clicked for me. I figured out how to fight the inertia by tapping the opposite direction, and my scores increased substantially. Now that I have it dialed in, I'm really loving this one. I was just expecting it to play exactly like T2K when I first tried it, but that clearly wasn't the goal. It has it's own thing going on, and that's fine. It's just as fun once you get it.

Also the visuals are... wow. Once you get rolling there's really a lot going on. I like it though. Sensory overload in a good way.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...