IGNORED

Star Raiders on a 9918?

tschak909

Am finding myself wondering, if it would be possible to do a convincing Star Raiders on a TMS 9918, particularly with the starfield, which dynamically creates a starfield immediately around you which tracks with your movement.

How could that be made to look convincing? a mix of background patterns and low priority sprites?

-Thom

I think it would be relatively easy. I just looked at the video of the 2600 version.

I really enjoyed back in the day. With the atari module though its already readily available.

It probably wouldn't be that much better looking if it was to remain smooth though. Maybe 2 colour sprites on eneemy ships. Better looking hud.

Yeah i just looked at it. The star field effect on the 800 version is more complex. I think it could be done still though. 

with reverse ordering of the sprites up to 8 sprites can be effectively flickered per line.

the star field seems to average around 12 stars or so at a time but not all on the same line altering the star colour as depth gets closer.

the hud & cross hairs are static and tiles would work

coleco has up to 32 sprites , 4 per line but could be flickered up to 8 per line.

2 sprites for lasers

1 for enemy

1 for enemy laser

This would be doable and look similar.

It could also be done with tiles only but clunky so pure sprite star field would be best.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

actually i have a wip (for many years now) to  convert Star Commander (from Memotech MTX) to the ColecoVision, its might be a clone of star raiders. It seems like its hard to find a video of the game, maybe i will upload one to youtube later. Its a quite hard game. All the function can be fitted into the keypad, like call the map, hyperdrive etc. so its possible.

Originally i wanted the game to be a part of the Memotech MTX Vol.2 but then it was not ready and I needed to put in Astro-Pac (the 2nd version).

• 4 weeks later...

Dam Busters....Star Wars.....

It's not like it can't be done but what is really interesting is that where are all the Coleco programmers?

If you look at the first page of this thread August 15, 2008 one would think there is 14 years of experience to help like programmers, written down source code, information, routines but incredibly it is lacking outside of a couple of contributors and an extremely technical programmers manual.

I may be exaggerating a bit but it seems most people have checked out.
When you look at the other boards they are somewhat still active.

If you look at the history of the TRS80 and TI 99/4A they put Coleco to shame.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 2:48 PM, CrazyBoss said:

actually i have a wip (for many years now) to  convert Star Commander (from Memotech MTX) to the ColecoVision, its might be a clone of star raiders. It seems like its hard to find a video of the game, maybe i will upload one to youtube later. Its a quite hard game. All the function can be fitted into the keypad, like call the map, hyperdrive etc. so its possible.

Originally i wanted the game to be a part of the Memotech MTX Vol.2 but then it was not ready and I needed to put in Astro-Pac (the 2nd version).

Is it the same of Star command on MSX?   I think there is not the 3d fighting aspect in the game.