IGNORED

Inufuto does Atari 8-bit!

carlsson

The idea to support the 5200 is good. It took him quite a while to port his MSX and SG-1000 games to ColecoVision, another console that may or may not have seen the light in Japan, just like I presume that the 5200 never got there despite sharing NTSC video.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

The idea to support the 5200 is good. It took him quite a while to port his MSX and SG-1000 games to ColecoVision, another console that may or may not have seen the light in Japan, just like I presume that the 5200 never got there despite sharing NTSC video.

5200 support would be great !

10 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Imagine the Atari being launched in Japan in 1980 or 1981...

Follow-up to what I wrote earlier, first advertisement I found was for the Atari 400 + Atari 800 from April 1980.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/153794-atari-8bit-in-china-andor-japan/?do=findComment&comment=4647251

___
                                  ,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,
                        ,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,
                  ,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,
               ,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\
             ;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\
             \lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,
              \lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,
                \llllllllllll,-~*.......................)_-\..*`*;..)
                   \,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................./
                   /.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\
                 /.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\
                |.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,
              .|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,
              /./.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
              (..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
                *-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
                    *,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......

f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........ 

Just for fun a little redone

• Like 2

Impetus added, not sure if it makes #8 or #9.

Regarding polish, if these were custom made for the A8, yes. If designed for lowest common denominator among 35+ different platforms, not sure how much the presentation could be improved. Some of his tools appear to have been posted for curious people, but I don't know if it is the full set.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

Regarding polish, if these were custom made for the A8, yes. If designed for lowest common denominator among 35+ different platforms, not sure how much the presentation could be improved. Some of his tools appear to have been posted for curious people, but I don't know if it is the full set.

Sure, I suppose it's a little related to how some publishers back in the day programmed for multiple systems; and it even shows that programming the Atari in a more simplistic way can still produce fun games. A few things could help the game out though (fine scrolling, PM graphics, etc.). It's fine though; I like seeing games like this for the system too, as long as they provide some decent entertainment, which they do.

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

Regarding polish, if these were custom made for the A8, yes. If designed for lowest common denominator among 35+ different platforms, not sure how much the presentation could be improved.

I don't think development is quite so generic as you're making it out to be. It probably has more to do with familiarity of certain systems, or willingness to spend the time it takes to do more for whichever ones he chooses. I was looking around at some of the other versions, and plenty are using fine-scrolling capabilities of the machines. So, it's within the scope of his development.

Perhaps gentle or nice feedback/collaboration would be the avenue to take, perhaps with examples of said improvements that might not only serve to help the games but the cross tools he is using....

can not hurt to try... just keep is positive and happy

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Yeah, like a few of us noted, he tweeted something that could be interpreted as trying to use P/M graphics but it was too complicated. I do believe that the A8 has a higher threshold for getting impressive things done than on most other systems even capable of the same. I don't know how Fabrizio has solved it with CROSS-LIB or for that matter the other frameworks that both support A8 and other formats.

Perhaps if a framework is developed by someone experienced of the most complex one (assuming that is A8), it will be equally capable even on the easier formats (e.g. C64 to be honest).

8 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, like a few of us noted, he tweeted something that could be interpreted as trying to use P/M graphics but it was too complicated.

Not that P/M graphics are as complex as some people claim they are, but you should notice I said "fine scrolling", which is something entirely different.

There are some tutorials for both types here: Vertical Scrolling & Horizontal Scrolling

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, like a few of us noted, he tweeted something that could be interpreted as trying to use P/M graphics but it was too complicated. I do believe that the A8 has a higher threshold for getting impressive things done than on most other systems even capable of the same.

I don't disagree that the A8 has a higher threshold to get impressive effects out of the hardware, but P/M graphics are relatively simple and they can be used independently from all the other idiosyncratic features of the chipset.  The biggest issue is the memory allocation for the sprite data.  Moving a sprite only requires setting a hardware register and a linear memory copy.  It's only when you need large, detailed sprites or more than five independent hardware sprites that P/M graphics become difficult to manage.  Those issues don't really present themselves in these games.

Looking at some of the other ports, it looks like the author was able to take advantage of sprite hardware on other systems that support it.  P/M graphics would have made a more colorful and smoothly animated port.  I also don't understand why he chose such dingy colors on the A8 compared to other platforms; the depth and breadth of the A8 color palette is one of its strongest points.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

He posted a flow sheet how all the ports have emerged. It all started with MSX and from what I can tell, the Atari 8-bit is a decendent of the Commodore 16. 

https://twitter.com/mxb03523/status/1500059727115726849?s=20&t=8oXSu3qMqWHAIchS3YN4qg

I think that would explain - partially, at least - the "dingy" colors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In celebration of Infutuo's 10th Atari 8-Bit release, Ascend, ZeroPage Homebrew is playing all of the Atari 8-Bit builds by Inufuto on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 6:02 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

In celebration of Infutuo's 10th Atari 8-Bit release, Ascend, ZeroPage Homebrew is playing all of the Atari 8-Bit builds by Inufuto on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

To choose one is my favorite is really difficult. Here is some of the great games of Inufuto : Ascend.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Inufuto's newest game Cacorm on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1280598834_20220705-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.0bb3412122f1c67efdbfabc42a92f8d8.jpg

• Like 1