IGNORED

Condition no longer matters? (Intv games)

Rev

really?  neat-o
any video or pictures?

Keith Robinson had those in his office years ago. I believe he talked about it in one of the podcast episodes.. don’t recall which, but most likely during a ‘Questions For Keith” segment.

It was apparently an oven heat test meant to determine what would happen if you left the components in a hot car for several hours, but someone set the temperature too high and got the ‘Melt-o-vision’ variants you see here. Not even@cmart604 has ones like that.

I think they went to the Video Game History Museum in Texas after Keith’s passing. If Steve Roney is reading this thread he can confirm.

Sent from unspecified hardware using indeterminate software
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nurmix said:

someone set the temperature too high and got the ‘Melt-o-vision’ variants you see here. Not even@cmart604 has ones like that.

Interesting.  As you know I'm not a big collector, but I have a Melt-o-vision copy of Sea Battle:

image.thumb.png.5105c564deb810795d177e26cd7a0032.png

Is this another little something I've lucked into that doesn't have an equivalent in the @cmart604 dungeon?  I got the cart sealed from a seller in Venezuela about 5 years ago:

image.thumb.png.4cc8665c9a7c593418e8d9d3acfd4208.png

I don't buy sealed to keep them sealed, but in this case the warped shell prevents me checking to see if it's a ROM variant, or if it even works! 

image.thumb.png.a37bf7cbc36b99ca6059351eeaebb0cf.png

Bizarrely the seal hadn't melted, although it was rather more crinkly than usual.  The overlays and manual were unscathed, although the glue on the spine of the box has given up.

In many ways I like these unusual if worthless things you sometimes stumble on.  It's one of my favourite carts, right up there with my Pat Burnell Frog Bog that someone randomly included in a trade in the late 90s:

image.thumb.png.d9bcb0804faa7bdf0d1d5baaa2f9cb28.png

• Like 6

8 hours ago, nurmix said:

Keith Robinson had those in his office years ago. I believe he talked about it in one of the podcast episodes.. don’t recall which, but most likely during a ‘Questions For Keith” segment.

It was apparently an oven heat test meant to determine what would happen if you left the components in a hot car for several hours, but someone set the temperature too high and got the ‘Melt-o-vision’ variants you see here.

I think they went to the Video Game History Museum in Texas after Keith’s passing. If Steve Roney is reading this thread he can confirm.

I agree (And confirm) all of this.

• Like 6

Keith drove around with the melted console in his trunk for ages because he would take it to conventions and leave it in the car between shows. Sometimes it would make it back inside to the office, but not always. For what it's worth, it never got *more* melted, so maybe it would've passed an actual hot car test.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 6:13 PM, colormesticky said:

Keith drove around with the melted console in his trunk for ages because he would take it to conventions and leave it in the car between shows. Sometimes it would make it back inside to the office, but not always. For what it's worth, it never got *more* melted, so maybe it would've passed an actual hot car test.

That would have made for a superb George Plimpton commercial: "We've left an Intellivision Master Component and an Atari VCS in the same vehicle for six hours in the middle of Arizona. Upon seeing how much each one has retained its shape, there's only one conclusion you can come to. Mattel Intellivision: ideal for people who tend to leave expensive electronics in their cars on hot days."

• Like 3