IGNORED

Music to play ColecoVision by: The 80's that Never Was

OriginalJohn

Back in the day I'd run home from school, dash into my room and get setup for some gaming fun...  I'd play my favorite vinyl album on the turntable (or Eye of the Tiger 45 by Survivor on repeat), cracked open a huge tub of gummy worms, slammed a cartridge into the Coleco and played until my mom called me to the table for dinner.   Nowadays, how to recapture that feeling? 

It's one thing to play 80's music that you've most likely heard before (and 100x over), but what about new music that captures the spirit of the 80's?  With all the homebrews that we've seen over the years, how about some new music to go along with them? If you get a chance, fire up your Coleco, play some of my favorite albums (or some of your favorite music) - it definitely enhances the experience! 

At 1980 "Late Night Calls"

The G "Wanderers"

Let em' Riot "Years Later"

Edited by OriginalJohn
  • Like 2

Some good stuff here, thank you for sharing!

The Rock Band 3 setlist has a couple of tunes with a good latter-day new-wave vibe to them. They'd fit right into any '80s playlist, in my opinion:

The Sounds: "Living in America"

The Raveonettes: "Last Dance"

And if you don't mind songs that intentionally sound like the '80s for the sake of singing about the '80s, this Relient K song is pretty good:

There's this Buckner & Garcia track that never was, at least not in our universe...

I was also exposed to this band through Rock Band, after they posted a full hair-metal-ish album to the Rock Band Network:

Finally, I have to give a shout-out to Def Leppard, who in my opinion managed the nigh-impossible feat of evoking their best days after the fact, without sounding like they were copycatting themselves:

Those are some great tunes, thanks for sharing them.  I liked the Def Leppard song - it's definitely cool that they retained their sound, it even appears as though the video is 4:3 using the same cheesy effects that were cutting edge back then.  I love discovering new music like this... anyone else care to share their favorites?

The Epoxies... too late for the 80's and too early for retrowave.

Here's another gem that features saxophone. Ohh, the velvety tones.