IGNORED

Atari Games That Gave You Goosebumps!

AtariSociety

Pastfinder, when the radiation levels were getting high.

Nadral for the unexpected digitized voice.

R.O. Fractalus was way far worse than goosebumps. Didn't touch the game for weeks.

Countermeasure when launched the missile.

And surprisingly Talladega. The pit looked somehow scarry.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2

R.O.F. for the usual reasons. The colors were also very much like I imagined Venus to be. Including the heavy atmosphere.

Not many Atari games spooked me. I was rather conditioned already. But I did love the hyperspace sound on Star Raiders (and Space Raiders on Apple II). I kept a stereo extension cable discretely hidden for when the parents were out. Ran it to the pro-level stuff they had going.

And in flight simulator (on most any platform), the fear of running out of fuel with no airport in sight. Sounds lame, but it's very real to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

And in flight simulator (on most any platform), the fear of running out of fuel with no airport in sight. Sounds lame, but it's very real to me.

Any reason it's so real to you?  Experience?

I only ask because as a human I don't have the ability to fly based on my body, so of course you worry about the gear that is helping you fly, but all the times I've flown the one thing I have never worried about was running out of fuel. I was more worried about an engine going or something hitting the plane, especially when there was bad turbulence. Fuel I would think would be caught in the multiple pre flight checks.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Early on, Slime was pretty eerie in it's own way, and Shamus as well.

Behind Jaggi Lines of course.  Like plenty I didn't see Rescue on Fractalus until about 2 years later and I think it was a bit easier to deal with the bad guys if they got near you?

The Zork and other Infocom adventures were sufficient to get your imagination running wild.

In the modern era, it's often the technical achievement that gets the goosebumps going - the likes of Yoomp, Galaga, Space Harrier, Scramble, Bosconian, Time Pilot and various others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AtariSociety said:

Mine was Sinistar! 

Hair stood up when I heard Sinistar speak for the first time.

How about for you?

Any Atari games that freaked you out, maybe scared you a tad,  or made the hairs stand up on your neck?

You've gone full on Santa Claus, glasses and all.  When you were a young lad, did you you desire to grow to be Santa?  Was that your end goal?

• Haha 3

I think most of us had the ROF moment, I remember falling off my chair (I was tipping it back with my feet up on the desk and when the Alien popped up my legs went straight from the scare, gravity did the rest)

Can't think of any others on the 8 bit, but I do know that Alien Trilogy on the PSX deffo gave me numerous jump scares.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 1

I got Rescue on Fractulus twice.  First time was the alien was in the ship.  Second, I spotted green helmet, so didnt open the door.  Then got the attack on the windshield.  I had no idea the alien was a thing.

I got  the alien the next time by going to the mother ship and turning on shields the moment you see them.  Cool to kill it on screen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, baktra said:

Pastfinder, when the radiation levels were getting high.

Nadral for the unexpected digitized voice.

R.O. Fractalus was way far worse than goosebumps. Didn't touch the game for weeks.

Countermeasure when launched the missile.

And surprisingly Talladega. The pit looked somehow scarry.

I have a date with ROF soon.  I owned that one in the day too.

TJ

47 minutes ago, zzip said:

The intros to the Alternate Reality games.   It had some of the highest production values I had seen in a video game up until that point.

Also when M.U.L.E boots up and the drum and bass kick in.

Once I figure out how to get Alternate Reality to work on my Fujinet, I will be going back in.  

Great game and yes, music intro really pulls you in!

TJ

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AtariSociety said:

never heard of jaggi lines.  I will have to google this one.

tj

It was basically just the ROF prototype that made it out into the wild. Almost exactly the same in every way. Just like The Last Starfighter and Star Raiders II. Almost 100% identical in most every way except name change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariSociety said:

never heard of jaggi lines.  I will have to google this one.

Behind Jaggi Lines was the pre-release name for Rescue on Fractalus.   A pre-release version got leaked by someone at Atari apparently and ended up on pirate BBSes.   This apparently hurt the Atari/Lucasfilm relationship.     Rescue and Ballblazer were supposed to be published by Atari in 84 but that didn't happen until later.

• Like 1