IGNORED

Atari Games That Gave You Goosebumps!

AtariSociety

In Star Raiders, coming out of hyperspace straight into collision with an asteroid or Zylon fire that destroys your shields, then immediately taking a second hit that blows you to smithereens...

It's that sublime rapid sound sequence of the screaming engine crescendo launching you into hyperspace, a brief hyperspace interlude, a blaring Red Alert klaxxon, a crashing shield strike then the final, almost simultaneous, atonic death explosion...

Awesome.

And joystick-flinging frustrating if it happens in the final Zylon sector of an otherwise flawless mission :-)

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 3:42 PM, zzip said:

Also when M.U.L.E boots up and the drum and bass kick in.

That's both a very cool tune and a very simple and small player. I have a disassembly of it on my laptop, but the power circuit is broken :( Not working on a PS, and no charging of the battery. It sounds so cool because it plays bass and drum on one channel, and the melody on the other three channels, but slightly detuned for a fatter sound.

Edited by ivop

On 2/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, Chris+++ said:

It's more commonly known as Rescue on Fractalus. :)

I also have a copy of it that is called "Rescue Mission"  Still one of my all time favorite games.  Somehow feel that it should be remade in the Unreal Engine.....

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:14 PM, Mclaneinc said:

I think most of us had the ROF moment, I remember falling off my chair (I was tipping it back with my feet up on the desk and when the Alien popped up my legs went straight from the scare, gravity did the rest)

I sometimes wondered if I was the only one. I *literally* fell off my chair (jumped off to the left, if I recall correctly). I had NO idea what was coming, I just noticed the green helmet and was about to open the door.

40 minutes ago, mnemo said:

I sometimes wondered if I was the only one. I *literally* fell off my chair (jumped off to the left, if I recall correctly). I had NO idea what was coming, I just noticed the green helmet and was about to open the door.

Yeah, I think we somehow knew about the green helmets, and would just turn on th eengines and fry them.  It was at the higher levels where they would show up randomly with white helmets that one popped up and scared my older brother so hard he fell back out of his chair.  At the time I laughed so hard I almost peed.  Today I just of wished he'd cracked his head open.  Ha!  (Yeah I hate that guy).

Interesting question. For me, two come to mind. The eerie music when inside the Dungeons in Ultima 3. And then there's the chilling and suspenseful sounds of those depth charges being dropped by a Destroyer circling above your deep and motionless submarine in Silent Service.

13 hours ago, mnemo said:

I bet there's a great many of us who jumped off the chair in one way or another..

8 hours ago, EddyFree said:

Interesting question. For me, two come to mind. The eerie music when inside the Dungeons in Ultima 3. And then there's the chilling and suspenseful sounds of those depth charges being dropped by a Destroyer circling above your deep and motionless submarine in Silent Service.

Never thought of stuff like that, I reckon I got menaced by a lot more games than I thought..

i seem to recall a bat and ball game - maybe baseball - that if you mis-hit the ball, it would suddenly fly into the screen and crack the *fake* CRT glass with an accompanying smash sound

if you hadnt seen it before, it makes you jump!

My childhood goosebumps:

Rescue on Fractalus / Behind Jaggi Lines - we all know why

Encounter - with the guided missile going towards you and when travelling to the next zone

Final Legacy - incoming enemy rockets on the sea fight scene

Wargames - when the nuclear war starts

Jungle Hunt - eaten by crocodile

Road Race - running away from the police

Montezuma's Revenge / Preliminary Monty - falling into fire

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, AtariSociety said:

Mine was Sinistar! 

Hair stood up when I heard Sinistar speak for the first time.

How about for you?

Any Atari games that freaked you out, maybe scared you a tad,  or made the hairs stand up on your neck?

Haha sorry not Atari but I definitely got freaked out by Sinistar (arcade cabinet) and the first time meeting The Butcher in Diablo 1.

For some unknown reason, Qix on my 5200 always freaked me out - I mean it's just a spinning line, but the amount of anxiety that game caused me was ridiculous. 

As for non-Atari, definitely Sinistar at the arcade (when his workers completed assembling him - I just wanted to run straight out of the arcade). Berserk with that smiley Evil Otto was similar.

The tops for me though goosebump-wise was Dungeons of Daggorath on the Coco. Nothing has ever come close to that one for some reason. My kids were terrified of Shadowgate on my Mac - it elicited some sort of morbid curiosity, since they wanted me to start the game, then ran away when the "floating eyes" appeared!