IGNORED

How can this guy resell copyrighted materials as well as homebrews he does not have the rights to?

MMarcoux66

7 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Some prefer download sources to be limited.

If you want to download my games, you do that via AtariAge or other APPROVED sites.

So then a disclaimer should be included with all rom images, whether they are demos or complete versions, that are posted by their developer/Homebrewer and honestly I have only seen a handful that have actually done this.

50 minutes ago, NIAD said:

No where on the INFO page that describes what is included in the Club Membership does it state that “other” rom images are available to download if you join.

He is 100% using it in his marketing materials. For example, in his video:

523971912_ScreenShot2022-03-04at11_47_21AM.thumb.png.2f1e422e5ef8e1d438064833324449f0.png

It absolutely says by paying the club membership "You can download hundreds of other games from our website" so he is clearly putting all those games behind a paywall and using it as a selling feature of his club.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Also, seeing as Luc has returned or given the rights to numerous games to CollectorVision, Opcode Games and AtariAge, is it being said by some that those rom images are no longer free to be shared by all?

There's a huge difference between "Freely sharing" a rom and putting those games behind a paywall, and marketing that as a selling point for his club.

The solution is simple here, and it's already been said, he needs to remove ALL THE ROMs that aren't his and only include his ROMs with the club.  

How are you not understanding this?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TPR said:

He is 100% using it in his marketing materials. For example, in his video:

523971912_ScreenShot2022-03-04at11_47_21AM.thumb.png.2f1e422e5ef8e1d438064833324449f0.png

It absolutely says by paying the club membership "You can download hundreds of other games from our website" so he is clearly putting all those games behind a paywall and using it as a selling feature of his club.

This what upset me last night when I saw the video and posted this thread. 

Infringement is infringement. What's the difference between doing it in the open, and doing it behind a paywall that is ostensibly collecting money for other reasons?

More importantly, who's going to enforce these beliefs? Are they social norms? Then kick the offender from your community. Are they breaking laws? Inform the rights holders so they can take action. 

Expressing outrage on AtariAge is fun, but will only get you so far.  

At this point, with all the information out there about this guy and his games, it really shocks me anyone is defending him on any level for this particular issue. 

The roms are free for people to get (for instance on CV addict).  However, they are free.  What Milli has done is taken all of those roms (legacy and homebrews) and put them up on his site, now only available to view and download by paying club "members".  Previous to his redoing the site, the list of games was available for all to see and there were a lot of homebrews and demos.  No one that wasn't a memeber could download any roms or anything else, but we were able to see the games.

Now he has hidden them, and again, only paying members can access them to download.  Seriously, there are people that do not have an issue with this?  Nothing more than a MONEY grab IMHO.

This guys attitude has sucked, and his reactions to feedback that he has asked for initally was blown way out of proportion.  But that isn't the topic at hand, the fact is he is literally asking people to join a club for $125 to gain what exactly?  Access to legacy and homebrew titles that are free to anyone elsewhere?  Access to roms of his games which are borderline horrifying to play?  Oh, you do get to pay more for CIB signed copies of games and have your name included in it...wow!!!  And his disclaimer which is basically the TPR clause, is beyonf laughable.

Anyone is free to sign uo for this dumpster fire, but honestly, it is pretty pathetic and cheesy he has done this, and pretty sad people are willing to die on the "defend Milli" hill because of ego or whatever else is driving them (perhaps just being anti TPR?‍♂️).

I just hope those that toss money at this person are truly happy with their investment, but to me (and me only) it seems like a considerable waste of time and money!!!!

• Like 3

Just now, Flojomojo said:

I agree it's gross, and I would never sign up for such a "service." I'm not defending it, I'm just reacting to all the bitching I'm reading. 

Why not fight fire with fire and make sure the truly free ROMs are available elsewhere?

Like ColecoVision Addict.com - Our vision is an Addicted Vision! (cvaddict.com) ? I think most are out there already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TPR said:

The solution is simple here, and it's already been said, he needs to remove ALL THE ROMs that aren't his and only include his ROMs with the club.  

Exactly. Provide a link to CVAddict if he wants then let his product be the key driver for his club which it should be. If people like his games and wish to support him, they can. I have no problems with that.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Let his product be the key driver for his club which it should be. If people like his games and wish to support him, they can. I have no problems with that.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Exactly. Provide a link to CVAddict if he wants then let his product be the key driver for his club which it should be. If people like his games and wish to support him, they can. I have no problems with that.

That, or mirror or host the freely available ROMS on his site and make them available to everyone, no membership required.  Provided none of the owners object.  Or something like that.

Whomever is sending Milli emails like this need to stop. If you don't like his games, just don't buy them but this I cannot agree with.

"Thank you for the rom. It is now hacked to be full version for which will be spread around the internet because we all hate you."

• Like 3

I'd say what I think about all this - as somebody completely uninvolved in the whole Coleco scene, a really neutral observer - but I bet my post would be then instantly deleted by TPR.

This has happened before to me and I've also see it done to other people, who were speaking in a civilised and sensible manner. So, I guess there's no point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Whomever is sending Milli emails like this need to stop. If you don't like his games, just don't buy them but this I cannot agree with.

"Thank you for the rom. It is now hacked to be full version for which will be spread around the internet because we all hate you."

Yeah, that was a dick move, cracking someone's game and throwing it in their face.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Agreed, this type of crap is neither helpful nor needed.  Whomever sent this is a huge dick!!!!  

• Like 1

I agree that it was uncool for Milli to post various ROMs from other homebrew authors/publishers behind a paywall, regardless of whether these games have been distributed for free elsewhere.  The right thing to do would have been to contact these authors/publishers individually and ask if it was okay to use these ROMs as an incentive for people purchasing his club membership, as someone suggested above.

However,

1 hour ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Agreed, whoever did this should be shunned, and if I ever discover this was someone on the AtariAge Forum, I would ban that individual immediately. If you don't like what Milli is doing, fine, don't buy his games. But hacking his game to remove demo restrictions and then spreading that binary around is a major dick move.

..Al

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

At this point, with all the information out there about this guy and his games, it really shocks me anyone is defending him on any level for this particular issue. 

The roms are free for people to get (for instance on CV addict).  However, they are free.  What Milli has done is taken all of those roms (legacy and homebrews) and put them up on his site, now only available to view and download by paying club "members".  Previous to his redoing the site, the list of games was available for all to see and there were a lot of homebrews and demos.  No one that wasn't a memeber could download any roms or anything else, but we were able to see the games.

Now he has hidden them, and again, only paying members can access them to download.  Seriously, there are people that do not have an issue with this?  Nothing more than a MONEY grab IMHO.

This guys attitude has sucked, and his reactions to feedback that he has asked for initally was blown way out of proportion.  But that isn't the topic at hand, the fact is he is literally asking people to join a club for $125 to gain what exactly?  Access to legacy and homebrew titles that are free to anyone elsewhere?  Access to roms of his games which are borderline horrifying to play?  Oh, you do get to pay more for CIB signed copies of games and have your name included in it...wow!!!  And his disclaimer which is basically the TPR clause, is beyonf laughable.

Anyone is free to sign uo for this dumpster fire, but honestly, it is pretty pathetic and cheesy he has done this, and pretty sad people are willing to die on the "defend Milli" hill because of ego or whatever else is driving them (perhaps just being anti TPR?‍♂️).

I just hope those that toss money at this person are truly happy with their investment, but to me (and me only) it seems like a considerable waste of time and money!!!!

Not to mention the game name many people would see as racist

Joe the Eskimo

Guide Joe and his pet seal through the frozen world in search of food and treasure. Defend yourself and try not to freeze to death. Can you deal with the cold?

Joe the Eskimo is a massive side scrolling platformer with over 64 levels.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/24/475129558/why-you-probably-shouldnt-say-eskimo

I know many people personally thru work that would be offended.

4 minutes ago, Tarzilla said:

Joe the Eskimo

Guide Joe and his pet seal through the frozen world in search of food and treasure. Defend yourself and try not to freeze to death. Can you deal with the cold?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/24/475129558/why-you-probably-shouldnt-say-eskimo

Yeah, but as the article also pointed out: "Of course, as with so many words sullied by the crimes of colonialism, not everyone agrees on what to do with Eskimo. Many Native Alaskans still refer to themselves as Eskimos, in part because the word Inuit isn't part of the Yupik languages of Alaska and Siberia." 

This is all relatively new, I know most people don't even realize the problem with the word.  I didn't until about a year or two ago.  Not sure if I'd take up pitchforks over this, maybe just mention it to Milli.  That is, if he comes back: he announced he's done with making games for the CV and ADAM.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

However,

Agreed, whoever did this should be shunned, and if I ever discover this was someone on the AtariAge Forum, I would ban that individual immediately. If you don't like what Milli is doing, fine, don't buy his games. But hacking his game to remove demo restrictions and then spreading that binary around is a major dick move.

..Al

His original Facebook post had the email header with the sender's address, not sure if it's still up.

Edit: my bad, he only showed the subject and his address, not the sender.  He did post the guys purported name.

Edited by 128Kgames

19 minutes ago, Tarzilla said:

Joe the Eskimo

This is a bit of a reach, I don't think many people are even aware of this, and I highly doubt Milli used this name with the intention of being racist.

..Al

• Like 5