Jump to content
MMarcoux66

How can this guy resell copyrighted materials as well as homebrews he does not have the rights to?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Some prefer download sources to be limited.

If you want to download my games, you do that via AtariAge or other APPROVED sites.

 

So then a disclaimer should be included with all rom images, whether they are demos or complete versions, that are posted by their developer/Homebrewer and honestly I have only seen a handful that have actually done this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we call the lawyers, I'm pretty sure anyone would be allowed to host any of the games in question.

If we keep the lawyers out of it, "common?!?" courtesy is to ask prior to host any of the games.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NIAD said:

No where on the INFO page that describes what is included in the Club Membership does it state that “other” rom images are available to download if you join.

He is 100% using it in his marketing materials. For example, in his video:

 

523971912_ScreenShot2022-03-04at11_47_21AM.thumb.png.2f1e422e5ef8e1d438064833324449f0.png


It absolutely says by paying the club membership "You can download hundreds of other games from our website" so he is clearly putting all those games behind a paywall and using it as a selling feature of his club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Also, seeing as Luc has returned or given the rights to numerous games to CollectorVision, Opcode Games and AtariAge, is it being said by some that those rom images are no longer free to be shared by all?

There's a huge difference between "Freely sharing" a rom and putting those games behind a paywall, and marketing that as a selling point for his club.

 

The solution is simple here, and it's already been said, he needs to remove ALL THE ROMs that aren't his and only include his ROMs with the club.  

 

How are you not understanding this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TPR said:

He is 100% using it in his marketing materials. For example, in his video:

 

523971912_ScreenShot2022-03-04at11_47_21AM.thumb.png.2f1e422e5ef8e1d438064833324449f0.png


It absolutely says by paying the club membership "You can download hundreds of other games from our website" so he is clearly putting all those games behind a paywall and using it as a selling feature of his club.

This what upset me last night when I saw the video and posted this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Infringement is infringement. What's the difference between doing it in the open, and doing it behind a paywall that is ostensibly collecting money for other reasons?

 

More importantly, who's going to enforce these beliefs? Are they social norms? Then kick the offender from your community. Are they breaking laws? Inform the rights holders so they can take action. 

 

Expressing outrage on AtariAge is fun, but will only get you so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, with all the information out there about this guy and his games, it really shocks me anyone is defending him on any level for this particular issue. 

 

The roms are free for people to get (for instance on CV addict).  However, they are free.  What Milli has done is taken all of those roms (legacy and homebrews) and put them up on his site, now only available to view and download by paying club "members".  Previous to his redoing the site, the list of games was available for all to see and there were a lot of homebrews and demos.  No one that wasn't a memeber could download any roms or anything else, but we were able to see the games.

 

Now he has hidden them, and again, only paying members can access them to download.  Seriously, there are people that do not have an issue with this?  Nothing more than a MONEY grab IMHO.

 

This guys attitude has sucked, and his reactions to feedback that he has asked for initally was blown way out of proportion.  But that isn't the topic at hand, the fact is he is literally asking people to join a club for $125 to gain what exactly?  Access to legacy and homebrew titles that are free to anyone elsewhere?  Access to roms of his games which are borderline horrifying to play?  Oh, you do get to pay more for CIB signed copies of games and have your name included in it...wow!!!  And his disclaimer which is basically the TPR clause, is beyonf laughable.

 

Anyone is free to sign uo for this dumpster fire, but honestly, it is pretty pathetic and cheesy he has done this, and pretty sad people are willing to die on the "defend Milli" hill because of ego or whatever else is driving them (perhaps just being anti TPR🤷‍♂️).

 

I just hope those that toss money at this person are truly happy with their investment, but to me (and me only) it seems like a considerable waste of time and money!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's gross, and I would never sign up for such a "service." I'm not defending it, I'm just reacting to all the bitching I'm reading. 

 

Why not fight fire with fire and make sure the truly free ROMs are available elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Flojomojo said:

I agree it's gross, and I would never sign up for such a "service." I'm not defending it, I'm just reacting to all the bitching I'm reading. 

 

Why not fight fire with fire and make sure the truly free ROMs are available elsewhere?

Like ColecoVision Addict.com - Our vision is an Addicted Vision! (cvaddict.com) ? I think most are out there already.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TPR said:

The solution is simple here, and it's already been said, he needs to remove ALL THE ROMs that aren't his and only include his ROMs with the club.  

Exactly. Provide a link to CVAddict if he wants then let his product be the key driver for his club which it should be. If people like his games and wish to support him, they can. I have no problems with that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Let his product be the key driver for his club which it should be. If people like his games and wish to support him, they can. I have no problems with that.

The Office Thank You GIF

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Exactly. Provide a link to CVAddict if he wants then let his product be the key driver for his club which it should be. If people like his games and wish to support him, they can. I have no problems with that.

That, or mirror or host the freely available ROMS on his site and make them available to everyone, no membership required.  Provided none of the owners object.  Or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like he is stopping the club and selling off his inventory at a discount. I think he said he gives up and is quitting on colecovision stuff.  This is based on FB comments

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Seems like he is stopping the club and selling off his inventory at a discount. I think he said he gives up and is quitting on colecovision stuff.  This is based on FB comments

 

Confirmed here : https://8bitmilligames.com/rgc/info.php

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whomever is sending Milli emails like this need to stop. If you don't like his games, just don't buy them but this I cannot agree with.

"Thank you for the rom. It is now hacked to be full version for which will be spread around the internet because we all hate you."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say what I think about all this - as somebody completely uninvolved in the whole Coleco scene, a really neutral observer - but I bet my post would be then instantly deleted by TPR.

 

This has happened before to me and I've also see it done to other people, who were speaking in a civilised and sensible manner. So, I guess there's no point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Whomever is sending Milli emails like this need to stop. If you don't like his games, just don't buy them but this I cannot agree with.

"Thank you for the rom. It is now hacked to be full version for which will be spread around the internet because we all hate you."

Yeah, that was a dick move, cracking someone's game and throwing it in their face.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Whomever is sending Milli emails like this need to stop. If you don't like his games, just don't buy them but this I cannot agree with.

"Thank you for the rom. It is now hacked to be full version for which will be spread around the internet because we all hate you."

Agreed, this type of crap is neither helpful nor needed.  Whomever sent this is a huge dick!!!!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it was uncool for Milli to post various ROMs from other homebrew authors/publishers behind a paywall, regardless of whether these games have been distributed for free elsewhere.  The right thing to do would have been to contact these authors/publishers individually and ask if it was okay to use these ROMs as an incentive for people purchasing his club membership, as someone suggested above.

 

However,

1 hour ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Whomever is sending Milli emails like this need to stop. If you don't like his games, just don't buy them but this I cannot agree with.

"Thank you for the rom. It is now hacked to be full version for which will be spread around the internet because we all hate you."

Agreed, whoever did this should be shunned, and if I ever discover this was someone on the AtariAge Forum, I would ban that individual immediately. If you don't like what Milli is doing, fine, don't buy his games. But hacking his game to remove demo restrictions and then spreading that binary around is a major dick move.

 

 ..Al

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn’t say who did it, but said enough for people to accuse some one on FB. Whether the person did it or not, accusing them with no proof is also not cool

 

and has anyone seen it distributed?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

At this point, with all the information out there about this guy and his games, it really shocks me anyone is defending him on any level for this particular issue. 

 

The roms are free for people to get (for instance on CV addict).  However, they are free.  What Milli has done is taken all of those roms (legacy and homebrews) and put them up on his site, now only available to view and download by paying club "members".  Previous to his redoing the site, the list of games was available for all to see and there were a lot of homebrews and demos.  No one that wasn't a memeber could download any roms or anything else, but we were able to see the games.

 

Now he has hidden them, and again, only paying members can access them to download.  Seriously, there are people that do not have an issue with this?  Nothing more than a MONEY grab IMHO.

 

This guys attitude has sucked, and his reactions to feedback that he has asked for initally was blown way out of proportion.  But that isn't the topic at hand, the fact is he is literally asking people to join a club for $125 to gain what exactly?  Access to legacy and homebrew titles that are free to anyone elsewhere?  Access to roms of his games which are borderline horrifying to play?  Oh, you do get to pay more for CIB signed copies of games and have your name included in it...wow!!!  And his disclaimer which is basically the TPR clause, is beyonf laughable.

 

Anyone is free to sign uo for this dumpster fire, but honestly, it is pretty pathetic and cheesy he has done this, and pretty sad people are willing to die on the "defend Milli" hill because of ego or whatever else is driving them (perhaps just being anti TPR🤷‍♂️).

 

I just hope those that toss money at this person are truly happy with their investment, but to me (and me only) it seems like a considerable waste of time and money!!!!

Not to mention the game name many people would see as racist

 

Joe the Eskimo

 

 

 

 

Guide Joe and his pet seal through the frozen world in search of food and treasure. Defend yourself and try not to freeze to death. Can you deal with the cold?

Joe the Eskimo is a massive side scrolling platformer with over 64 levels.

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/24/475129558/why-you-probably-shouldnt-say-eskimo

I know many people personally thru work that would be offended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tarzilla said:

Not to mention the game name many people would see as racist

 

Joe the Eskimo

 

 

 

 

Guide Joe and his pet seal through the frozen world in search of food and treasure. Defend yourself and try not to freeze to death. Can you deal with the cold?

Joe the Eskimo is a massive side scrolling platformer with over 64 levels.

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/24/475129558/why-you-probably-shouldnt-say-eskimo

I know many people personally thru work that would be offended.

Yeah, but as the article also pointed out: "Of course, as with so many words sullied by the crimes of colonialism, not everyone agrees on what to do with Eskimo. Many Native Alaskans still refer to themselves as Eskimos, in part because the word Inuit isn't part of the Yupik languages of Alaska and Siberia." 

 

This is all relatively new, I know most people don't even realize the problem with the word.  I didn't until about a year or two ago.  Not sure if I'd take up pitchforks over this, maybe just mention it to Milli.  That is, if he comes back: he announced he's done with making games for the CV and ADAM.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Albert said:

However,

Agreed, whoever did this should be shunned, and if I ever discover this was someone on the AtariAge Forum, I would ban that individual immediately. If you don't like what Milli is doing, fine, don't buy his games. But hacking his game to remove demo restrictions and then spreading that binary around is a major dick move.

 

 ..Al

His original Facebook post had the email header with the sender's address, not sure if it's still up.

 

Edit: my bad, he only showed the subject and his address, not the sender.  He did post the guys purported name.

Edited by 128Kgames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tarzilla said:

Not to mention the game name many people would see as racist

 

Joe the Eskimo

 

 

 

 

Guide Joe and his pet seal through the frozen world in search of food and treasure. Defend yourself and try not to freeze to death. Can you deal with the cold?

Joe the Eskimo is a massive side scrolling platformer with over 64 levels.

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/04/24/475129558/why-you-probably-shouldnt-say-eskimo

I know many people personally thru work that would be offended.

This is a bit of a reach, I don't think many people are even aware of this, and I highly doubt Milli used this name with the intention of being racist.

 

 ..Al

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...