IGNORED

Wrong ROM in cartridge shell?

SmartSped

Has anyone ever come across an Activision game where the rom is the wrong one in the cartridge shell? I have an Activision Dragster shell with a Starmaster rom inside. I know the first thing that will come to everyone's mind is that at some point maybe the label was swapped but I don't see how. The label looks perfectly intact. Usually when you reglue a label there's some imperfections.

PXL_20220305_001756936.jpg

PXL_20220305_001917458.jpg

PXL_20220305_001908156.MP.jpg

PXL_20220305_001851521.MP.jpg

PXL_20220305_002147454.jpg

4 minutes ago, kennybrooks said:

Yes, activision did that a lot.  I bought River Raid back in the day and it ended up being Spider Fighter, imagine my disappointment.  There is no additional value I have been told as it is easy to swap those yourself if you wish nowadays.

I honestly didn't think there'd be any extra value. I was actually disappointed because this cart had a decent label and now I don't have a Dragster game.

Wow, sorry dude. Atari had this happen a lot as they recycled cart shells, but its unusual for third party. I guess they would stick labels on before assembling the carts, but I don't know how, as the screws to hold them together are under the label for most brand shells.

I have a friend that is unloading his collection right now and while testing his games before listing them he found that he had a Freeway shell that had a Ghostbusters rom.

The weird thing is that the Freeway label is the first label variation with the RED cars and not the later multi-colored cars screenshot.  So many years apart from when GB was released. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, groundtrooper said:

I have a friend that is unloading his collection right now and while testing his games before listing them he found that he had a Freeway shell that had a Ghostbusters rom.

The weird thing is that the Freeway label is the first label variation with the RED cars and not the later multi-colored cars screenshot.  So many years apart from when GB was released. 

What can I say? I'm a trailblazer. ;-)

-Chip