IGNORED

Atari 7800 weird static after UAV install

shear_xear

Hi everyone.  I have an Atari 7800 that is giving me some weird static when 7800 games are loaded (and distorted image with 2600 games).  The RF gave me static as well, but generally that seemed to be a bad RF modulator in the past, and an AV mod cleared that up, but this time it has persisted.  The console has been recapped, and the power regulator has been replaced.  Has anyone ever seen this before with a 7800?  Thanks!!

Isn't that due to the "chiclets"? Did you replace these as well? I think a common check is to pinch them when the console is running to see if it changes. They would be the red circle below.

image.thumb.png.a947b590485dbcd8dc3fb65b10374430.png

Looking closer at your Frogger(?) it seems something else may be off as well. Might want to check the cartridge slot while you're at it.

You could also reseat the ICs if they're socketed. Reflow them if they are not.

Come to think of it, I had almost the exact same issue and determined it had a bad 6532. Circled in orange ^^

Edited by Dopy25

The static from the 7800 games is likely from the 74LS32 chip just above the MARIA IC. I've had that happen before and replacing that took care of the issue. As was stated on the 2600 side, that is odd and could be the RIOT or TIA. I've never had to replace those small chiclets on the lower right. Chiclets replaced on 2600s...yes. But not on the 7800 as those poly caps are quite robust.

• Like 1

So replacing the 74LS32 helped fixed the static that I was getting from the 7800 games and then swapping in a new TIA fixed the 2600 graphical glitch that I was seeing.  This board must have been seen some action as I had to swap out all four switches to get it up and running in the first place.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1