IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 18/19/20 ~ HomeBrew Weeks

Vocelli

One last improvement in RAPTOR! I think I've just about pushed my skills to the limit at this point, but man do I ever love this game! Between RAPTOR and Doggone It! I don't think I've ever met an @Armscar Coder game I didn't like. You sir are an outstanding game designer! The only suggestion I could possibly make for RAPTOR is (if there's any space left in memory) to have some indicator of what wave you're on between rounds. Like a little message at the top of the screen that says, "Wave 1" or "Wave 2" etc. before the enemies begin rolling in at the start of each round to help gauge your progress of how far you've made it into the game. Other than that I wouldn't change a darn thing! :)

RAPTOR (Game 1, B/B Difficulty): 1,184

IMG_20220327_082801.thumb.jpg.d788cd80a96d931521f129ed60515bae.jpg

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
Typo fixes
  • Like 3

Improvement in Stratovox - 26650. It's tempting to hold down the fire button but beyond the first level it seems to be a serious mistake to do so.

image.thumb.png.618b41f78c8b04295a0b43288bfaf7af.png

Very hard-won improvement in Raptor - 645. I have had problems firing the smartbombs when I need them. Can you not fire them if you're overheated? The boss is really unfuriating, especially since it seems to hang around inside the shields as much as possible. Also turning on phosphor mode in Stella as I had to do for Stratovox hides half of the enemies when in the shields, seriously reducing the efficacy of the blue beam.

image.thumb.png.d929d3fd61cf7f0a78a8db3c7cf2019a.png

These may be final even though I'm still improving a lot. I think I am going to have to work on Aardvark for the rest of the time I get today, which won't be much. It's not a style of game that plays to my strengths.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I have had problems firing the smartbombs when I need them. Can you not fire them if you're overheated?

@jgkspsx, yes you can detonate the bombs when you are overheated.  Couple of things to check/ be mindful of:

- Be sure that you are double pressing and letting go after the second button press.  The initial logic just looked for the second button press.  But, I found that condition made it too easy for the bombs to detonate unintentionally.  So, I changed it so that the bomb doesn't detonate until the second button press is released.  If you hold the button down too long for either the first or second press, or you don't start the second button press soon enough, then the timers monitoring the button presses will expire and you would have to reinitiate the double press.

- Also, be sure that you are stationary when initiating the double button press.  During development, unintentional detonation was also an issue while the RAPTOR was moving when two quick laser blasts were fired.  So, with the left difficulty switch in the "B" position, there can not be any RAPTOR movement to detonate a bomb, from the start of the first button press to the release of the second button press.  This adds a conscious decision to detonate a bomb.  And since the RAPTOR is almost always moving (at least when I play), this conscious decision pretty much eliminated all unintentional bomb detonations for me.  If the left difficulty switch is in the "A" position, a bomb can be detonated while the RAPTOR is moving.  I'm not sure if that is allowed for this round of the 2600 High Score Club, since the directions were to set the difficulty switches to "B" and "B".

- Lastly, be sure you are fully depressing the fire button.  I had the privilege to do some live play testing and one thing I observed was that the play tester was so caught up in trying to press the fire button twice fast that he wasn't pressing the button all the way down.  Yes, you do have to press the button fast, but not lightning fast.  Just be sure to fully press the button.

Hopefully, that helps.

The boss is really unfuriating, especially since it seems to hang around inside the shields as much as possible.

Yeah, that is the nature of the randomized beast, I'm afraid.  Sometimes, he is easily exposed and other times, he is hiding.  I really don't have much advice here other than to take the opportunities when you have them.  In an earlier post, I mentioned that the timer for the shield switching and the timer for the boss laser firing are constant, but aren't always offset the same.  So, there should be predictability when the shields switch and when the boss is going to fire.  But, sometimes it is really easy to destroy him and other times it is down right aggravating.  I get it.

Also turning on phosphor mode in Stella as I had to do for Stratovox hides half of the enemies when in the shields, seriously reducing the efficacy of the blue beam.

I am no Stella expert, but I have not had that experience.  When I have tested/played in Stella, I have not turned on phosphur mode and have no issues seeing the enemies behind the shields.  Maybe someone else can chime in here?

Thanks for the feedback and good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Phosphor mode isn't a big deal - I can just turn it off. I wish it were possible to save settings per game, though!

I did not realize you couldn't fire the bomb while moving - that might be what was happening. I will see if I can have another crack now that I know what I am doing. I had a good run going there for a while.