IGNORED

Neo Geo Pocket Color Screw Type?

6 hours ago, The Mr. Video said:

Hi, my Neo Geo Pocket Color is in desperate need of extra screws. I'm down to one screw holding the casing together and I would like to know what kind of screws are used for the system so I can get some more.

Hi Mr.Video,

From what I'm seeing on my NGPC unit, it uses a philips and a tri-wing screw. 

The final screw that's still attached, does the top of the screw show these looks on top?

Anthony...

Image 1 - Game Boy Console Shell Screws Philips Color Pocket Original Advance GBA GBC

Image 2 - 10 x Tri-Wing Screws for Game Boy, Advance, Colour, GBA, GBC, DMG Pocket Y Shape

Edited by Charlie Cat

10 hours ago, Charlie Cat said:

Hi Mr.Video,

From what I'm seeing on my NGPC unit, it uses a philips and a tri-wing screw. 

The final screw that's still attached, does the top of the screw show these looks on top?

Anthony...

Image 1 - Game Boy Console Shell Screws Philips Color Pocket Original Advance GBA GBC

Image 2 - 10 x Tri-Wing Screws for Game Boy, Advance, Colour, GBA, GBC, DMG Pocket Y Shape

The top of the outer screws do look like the top picture.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I just checked mine, NGPC never used triwing, that's a Nintendo paranoid screwhead.  They're stock standard philips.

I had to check mine again with a better flashlight and one of the other NGPC I have. The unit that I posted first has the standard philips and the other screw has the triwing. While the other has both standard philps. That's interesting. :ponder:

Anthony..

8 minutes ago, The Mr. Video said:

I borrowed a screw from my GBA to see if it would screw in and it did, so NGPC screws must be the same kind of screws used for the GBA except with a philips head instead of a triwing head.

Good. I was checking on Ebay and they have a bunch of auctions for them at reasonable prices. If you like, feel free to let us know how it turned out for you. :)

Anthony..

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

That's odd, I don't see them going mixing and matching, that is suspect.

Seeing this was a used NGPC from Japan, I'm guessing it was opened at some point and the original screw was lost and found any screw to replace it. Unit works fine and this never came to my attention until today.

Anthony..

3 hours ago, str0m said:

They came with 1 triwing from new, I have about 15 (don't ask!) NGPCs.....it was the one below the battery compartment (not under the batteries)

Made me paranoid, just went and double checked mine using my trusty overhead workbench lamp I could position well and I see you're right, there is a triwing on that one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, str0m said:

They came with 1 triwing from new, I have about 15 (don't ask!) NGPCs.....it was the one below the battery compartment (not under the batteries)

Really informative for sure str0m. I had no idea about this or came to my attention until this question and your posting came about. I wonder if this was ever discussed on other forums regarding the screws. 

Anthony...

Edited by Charlie Cat

It's weird, a very basic security thing I guess but then it's not hard for someone to buy a screwdriver if they wanted to open one up! You will see all of the aftermartek backlit screen kits come with 2 screwdrivers for this reason, a normal cross one and a tri

Reminds me I have a couple of new screens to fit

Edited by str0m
update