IGNORED

838-SPEECH PEB Adapter PRE-ORDER UP

Shift838

I'd really like to state my appreciation for what Shift838, JediMatt, Karsula and ArcadesShopper do. I tried to help out (I'm sure he'd question that) Don O'Neil when he was designing the SCSI Controller. It's an incredible amount of work, time, stress and money to design something, get it built, get it tested, shipped to someones door and then supporting it.

• Like 2

Nice idea! I happened to get a CorComp Triple Tech Card back in the day, with a place for the speech board (and a clock and printer buffer). it was (and still is, now that the ol’ TI is back out in use) really nice not to have the firehose always in danger of knocking the speech synthesizer out of the console. Sounds like you put a lot of thought and effort into the project.

8 hours ago, SkyPilot said:

No kidding on that, it's been talked about for decades, yet no one has come through.  Maybe it's too difficult?

This is another project I have been working on for the past few years.  Probably started it about 6 years ago.  Put it down, picked it back up a few times.

Back in August of 2021 i came up with a hand wired board.  And it has progressed into a actual PCB.  You can read the whole thread below:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

wow.  i don't think it has ever taken that long for me.

I have sent from Chase bank $150.00 and $100.00 and it still says I only have $100.00 in the account.

It should say $350.00 on account, but says pending on the $150.00 and $100.00 from Chase.

On 3/6/2022 at 3:48 PM, Shift838 said:

I will probably release it after my 2nd run is typically what I do.  I would still need to get approval from the IP owner to release it.  I do know that he does not have a schematic of this card.  I had to work that out.

Sounds good.  I sent Richard Bell a note to ask him what the details were on his approval of getting the card made, etc.  Just waiting on a response from him.  If we can get his formal approval to release these after you sell the 2nd run, we can add them to the docs thread, or put them somewhere central.  It's a pretty simple circuit - the most complex thing is the PAL, which as to be programmed (and good job sussing out the formulas, BTW.)  A lot of people have EPROM programmers that will program everything, but run short when it comes to some legacy PAL/GALs.

• Like 1

boards and parts have been ordered.  should be 2 to 3 weeks before I see the boards.

I will be putting them together and mailing them out based on order #.

I have ordered a few extra. If anyone missed out please contact me via PM.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 11:10 PM, Shift838 said:

This is another project I have been working on for the past few years.  Probably started it about 6 years ago.  Put it down, picked it back up a few times.

Back in August of 2021 i came up with a hand wired board.  And it has progressed into a actual PCB.  You can read the whole thread below:

I wonder if 25 pair shielded twisted pair (they're more rigid as well as more flexible) cable would work for this too.  The old telephone wire is all over - the challenge would be getting it in the IDC connector.

2 hours ago, acadiel said:

I wonder if 25 pair shielded twisted pair (they're more rigid as well as more flexible) cable would work for this too.  The old telephone wire is all over - the challenge would be getting it in the IDC connector.

That is the type of cable I have used to get it to work correctly.  it's a standard SCSI Twisted Pair cable.  will have a few wires left over but that's fine.  None of the off the shelf moulded cable will work over about 2.5 to 3 feet.

So it looks like the cables will have to be custom made...