IGNORED

2022 HSC Rd. 6 Scrapyard Dog

toiletunes

A couple of things; first a new high score of 63,125.  I made it past the jump in 2-3 without using all of my lives, but I had to use a continue on 3-1.  Second, whoever decided that a sliding puzzle should be the end boss should be drug out into the street and shot.  I think I had it except for the two middle bottom pieces were swapped.  Also, what is going on with tiny gangsters shooting at me all of the sudden?  I was not expecting that.  I knew ahead of time about the sliding puzzle, but I was still not happy with it.

• Like 4

Welp I am done with this game.  New and final score of 163,275.  I made it all the way to the sliding puzzle without using a continue and once I again I could not figure it out.  And again, the two chin pieces were reversed and I could not get them straight to save my life. And Scraps's too.

• Like 3

@jeremiahjt I can't figure out the sliding puzzle either. I know I could look up how but that's bull, give me a big slob named Mr big that jumps around and throws cans at me and let me jump on his head 3 times or something. 

The gangsters and the whole warehouse level definitely comes out of nowhere and I'm not sure why they would change the level at the very end, especially when there is no real boss. I wish they offered more variety before that instead of right at the end. 

I like Scrapyard Dog but it's just a poorly planned and frustrating game, especially when going for a high score. 

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 3:41 PM, jeremiahjt said:

Scrapyard Dog for me

a difficult play through but

defeat it I will

I just want to point out that in my haiku I made a prediction about a future success and I followed through and made that prediction a reality. That should be some bonus points right there. Because Scraps has been saved and Scrapyard Dog (along with Mr. Big) has been defeated. Well I guess Mr. Big has been defeated. I do not know what completing that puzzle actually did to Mr. Big. He could be living the high life down in Cabo for all I know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was glad to see an old favorite of mine pop up.  I haven't played this in years.

Spoiler

20220326_104445.thumb.jpg.594a2701ed88038f0aa5d6647c99edfd.jpg

For the "end game bonuses":

• I believe each second of time is worth 10 points (I think, it scrolls so fast)
  • Each extra life is 100,000 points
  • Not sure how much hit shields are worth (I had zero)
  • Each dollar is worth 10,000 points
  • Each can is worth 5,000 points
  • Each magic can is worth 20,000 points
  • Each bomb is worth 20,000 points
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

I was glad to see an old favorite of mine pop up.  I haven't played this in years.

Hide contents

20220326_104445.thumb.jpg.594a2701ed88038f0aa5d6647c99edfd.jpg

For the "end game bonuses":

• I believe each second of time is worth 10 points (I think, it scrolls so fast)
  • Each extra life is 100,000 points
  • Not sure how much hit shields are worth (I had zero)
  • Each dollar is worth 10,000 points
  • Each can is worth 5,000 points
  • Each magic can is worth 20,000 points
  • Each bomb is worth 20,000 points

You son of a...  The best Scrapyard Dog player ever known had to show up and take my win.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

You son of a...  The best Scrapyard Dog player ever known had to show up and take my win.

You definitely inspired me on this one.  I feel like Scrapyard Dog gets a bit of a bad rap (and perhaps deservingly so).  The end puzzle, that jump in 2-3... there's a lot that just needed a LITTLE more polish and thought and this could have been one of the greats.  I feel like a lot of people give up on the game, so each time someone finishes it, it's quite an achievement.

For those who don't know, a few of us worked on putting the maps together years ago:

https://atari7800.org/scrapyarddogmap.htm

I spent a lot of time figuring out all the bonus games, where all the hidden items are, and all the secret passages.  I jumped in every single square inch of that game for hours.  So... I MAY have played the game a little too much back in the day.  I had always hoped that somebody would put together a one-shot 7800 magazine with all of the maps and secrets, sort of like Nintendo Power.  Someday, that would be neat if it ever happened.

For those who may be giving up, I certainly encourage you to take a look at the maps.  There are a few hints about how to get extra lives, where to place yourself for jumps, hidden cans and money, where all the stores are, some secret passages (e.g. for 4-3), and even an answer for the final puzzle at the end.

Falls in many holes

Pixel perfect jumps? Come on. 

Wait, there is a map?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1