IGNORED

HSC19 (2022) R4: POOYAN + E.T. Bonus

POOYAN

pooyan.png.27fafc86713ac385adf7fd11e0c8c731.png

Probably best that a last minute vote tipped the scales for Pooyan to take the win over E.T. - He's gone home now in a huff, ok it was on his bike :-D but "come back!" I have an idea :idea:

NEW POO!

We now have a POYAN that doesn't spew out extra lives making it more challenging for top players. Mere mortals still get 5 lives so you're not too hard done by! See how far you can all get now? Download it here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/332384-games-with-too-many-extra-lives/?do=findComment&comment=5018479

If anyone still completes level 20 post with lives remaining but then continue if you wish for a bonus challenge :thumbsup:

Atarimania has info on the game:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-pooyan_4063.html

E.T. PHONE HOME

ET Phone Home! atari screenshotE. T. Phone Home!

we'll throw in E.T. as a bonus game as we will have time to plod around looking for bits of his spaceship and I'm not sure it would keep us busy for 2 weeks on it's own :ponder:

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1835

See instructions & comments on atariamania, link below:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-et-phone-home_1881.html

[edit]

On 3/16/2022 at 2:37 AM, graywest said:

Just a suggestion - might want advanced players to go to level 9 on E.T. and then play for score as there are more phone pieces to gather. The early levels are pretty easy if you know what you're doing.

Great idea :thumbsup: read the instructions everyone !!- you hear the annoying sound when you are near a piece, it appears when you get closer to it, aviod the baddies, can lose them by turning two corners, can run with fire but drops piece, take pieces to green square near your house get to launch site other green bit somewhere... press fire to see what  pieces are required - same shape and colours...roughly that!

Round ends Monday 21st [sometime this week after the 23rd!] Fri 25th March 6pm UK time

HAVE FUN EARTHLINGS!

Edited by therealbountybob
Round extended!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, McKong said:

E.T 4 Phone pieces

15 hours ago, MagicMarc-er said:

I can't imagine ever making it to level 20.  68,500.

22 hours ago, RedThunder said:

ET

15 hours ago, MagicMarc-er said:

I can't imagine ever making it to level 20.  68,500.

13 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I'll get Pooyan out of the way:  20 levels - 5 lives remaining - 709,250.

44 minutes ago, McKong said:

E.T 4 Phone pieces

:thumbsup:

Pooyan is a fun game but once you've got the hang of it it doesn't get any harder and it's ruined by too many extra lives. You can fail to complete the first level and keep amassing points etc so scoring is not great either!

Have asked on the main A8 forum for someone to hack off the extra lives and also do Oriley's Mine:

E.T. I think I remember completing the first level? once before so comments on the game welcome!

106250, level 5.

The version I had already downloaded didn't work, so I got the 'Title Version' from homesoft, and it looks like it only gave a free life at 100,000.

I've attached that version, but here's a direct link I hope works as well

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?dl=062|POOYION_

Pooyan.jpg

Pooyan (Title Version).zip

Edited by 8BIT 1337
Updated URL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

So which version of Pooyan are we playing? The existing one with counting lives remaining or levels reached if less than 20, or the patched one without extra lives where we play as regular for score?

I am hoping for a version that gives more extra lives given my results so far!  Agree would be good to play the same version 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Had a go at the "no extra lives" version:  225,950!  I can do better...lost 2 lives super early on. 

Pooyan 225950.png

Great :thumbsup:

So Let's play this one [no extra lives] and see how far you can get everyone.

If anyone still completes level 20 post with lives remaining but then continue if you wish for a bonus challenge. I've updated the first post :thumbsup:

UPDATED: Season 19 Current Standings

• Like 1

Pooyan (no extra lives): 53100 pts, level 3.

pooyan-53100.thumb.jpg.393ec4e8b5cc294282cfe524832338af.jpg

Previously I have played Pooyan on the Sord M5, MSX, arcade and homemade version on the VIC-20. I find the Atari 8-bit version much harder than the M5 and MSX versions, with added features like the bonus round. In particular the first level felt much more difficult than the others, then difficulty somehow subsided.

E.T. Phone Home - I didn't get this one to run on my 130XE. I tried both with Option held down (disable BASIC) and with BASIC on. Besides the version on Fandal, I had another 2-3 versions on the memory card from before but neither seems to get any further than this screen. I checked the instructions but it didn't help me. Perhaps it only runs on original Atari 400/800?

et-phone-home.thumb.jpg.5899a331f5df060cd865fc14bddd4ab7.jpg

• Like 1

E.T. Phone Home!:  85761

I agree about the sentiment that this game got screwed because people disliked the 2600 version so bad.  I always liked it well enough so I'm happy to play it again for the first time in *quite* a long time.

And I now own the cartridge to boot!  The grey XL one, not the OG brown one FWIW :)

E.T. Phone Home.jpg

• Like 3