IGNORED

A new Amiga&c64 game jam is coming

vprette

13 hours ago, youxia said:

Is it this factory, by any chance? Seeing as the tablet they make looks identical to the one you have designed?

Indeed, it's suspiciously similar alright. So much so that one might wonder why they went to all that trouble and expense to design their own, when they could buy a tablet with the exact same spec for $85 a piece ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

As for the music compo, MOD format means Amiga only, I understand?

You previously wrote no porting of unlicensed games. I suppose that also means no lifting of graphics, sounds or level designs as well? Right now the rules are very brief but you have almost a month to beef them up before the jam goes live.

34 minutes ago, carlsson said:

As for the music compo, MOD format means Amiga only, I understand?

You previously wrote no porting of unlicensed games. I suppose that also means no lifting of graphics, sounds or level designs as well? Right now the rules are very brief but you have almost a month to beef them up before the jam goes live.

thanks for comment

music can be for c64 as well

and yes no assets (graphic, music) copied from unlicensed games

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the purpose of the jam on that page, i.e. to find an IP that you can develop for other platforms (presumably for profit). With that in mind, could you tell us what exactly the situation is with the IP of any entries? Does the IP of any entries remain entirely with the creator, or are any rights forfeited by entering? What other stipulations will be applied?

The recently finished AmiGameJam had the stipulation that all entries must be open source, for example.

Edited by Daedalus2097

1 hour ago, Daedalus2097 said:

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the purpose of the jam on that page, i.e. to find an IP that you can develop for other platforms (presumably for profit). With that in mind, could you tell us what exactly the situation is with the IP of any entries? Does the IP of any entries remain entirely with the creator, or are any rights forfeited by entering? What other stipulations will be applied?

The recently finished AmiGameJam had the stipulation that all entries must be open source, for example.

the IP owneship will be retained by the creator. In case an interesting IP come out, we will be pleased to discuss with the creator about a port, but the ownership of IP submitted to the jam wil not be transferred

I add this info in itch.io

thanks

This is as surreal and dubious as everything else these guys are doing. Serious businessmen who own a factory in China (yeah, right) can only afford to put up a cheap tablet and a couple of "android" games as a prize? And can't even be bothered to make any kind of real effort, other than writing a few sentences (without a spellcheck) and posting one image?

I'm sure it will be a resounding success all round.

18 minutes ago, carlsson said:

If it was a no-one posting here, I would have doubts too but vprette is seasoned in the Intellivision aftermarket, so a project he's part of must have some legitimacy.

thanks

and, more in general.... this is a community initiative to have fun and help commodorian people show their creativity efforts: we are not looking for business, we are not willing to publish amiga or c64 games under commodore brand! so just be friend all togheter ?

Perhaps, but the various other Commodore attempts have also had prior business experience. Once again, it seems very odd that this sort of thing is being promoted on an Atari community website and not on any of the mainstream Amiga community websites or social media groups.

It also seems just a little out of touch to be positioning this as a community initiative while appearing unaware of the various other game jams in the Commodore and Amiga communities. Surely if the purpose was community enrichment, then sponsorship of funding or prizes to various already established community endeavours would be better?

Does AmiGameJam always run from July 31 - January 31? As you can see, this event will run from May 1 - November 30 so besides wanting to set the rules on their own, they win 3 months on doing their own. Plus that this jam apparently is open for both C64 and VIC-20, plus graphics and music compos which is more than AmiGameJam offers.

I agree though that eventually the news will need to spread to social media, other Amiga oriented forums etc. Possibly vprette is testing the waters here on a forum where he as a spokesperson is known (at least to some people, I understand that those of you who don't hang around in the Intellivision section may be none the wiser about his previous credits) before going public in places where nobody knows you name to paraphrase the Cheers title song.

Well it doesn't paint a particularly competent picture of the company's PR abilities really since the news they post here will and does find its way to other sites, possibly not in the exact form they would like and without any obvious presence in the community to answer questions, people will fill in the blanks themselves. Also, it appears there's more to posting here than just testing the waters regarding a game jam.

The AmiGameJam for this year only finished at the weekend just gone - there could have been scope for sponsorship for the final presentation, but a better option might have been to wait the extra two months and sponsor the next AmiGameJam instead of overlapping it by several months. They're gonna need something big to lure developers away from the established event. Of course it offers more by also covering the C64 and VIC-20 - that's quite the spread of capabilities though and in any other competition they'd be in very separate categories (with separate prizes), or have separate game jams for the significantly different platforms.

12 hours ago, carlsson said:

If it was a no-one posting here, I would have doubts too but vprette is seasoned in the Intellivision aftermarket, so a project he's part of must have some legitimacy.

Fair enough, I'm not very familiar with the Intellivision scene, but I do hope this isn't his project...

On 4/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, Daedalus2097 said:

Once again, it seems very odd that this sort of thing is being promoted on an Atari community website and not on any of the mainstream Amiga community websites or social media groups.

Actually, he has 2 news items on the Amigaworld front page dated April 6, 2022 & April 8, 2022.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting(ish). Might be worth noting that they've dropped (or tried to drop) using the Commodore Engineering name - their Facebook page has been renamed to Commodore Industries and their LinkedIn page also uses Commodore Industries (Twitter uses Commodore Inc.), though their apps in the app store and their Youtube channel still carry the Commodore Engineering name, and it crops up in their historic posts and LinkedIn profile too.

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, vprette said:

we decided to go for an itch.io Jam submission, and here the info

https://itch.io/jam/commodore-jam-generation

I was reminded of this jam while embracing the crunch of the Blitz Basic jam, and I see the page doesn't exist any more. Did anything come of it? I thought it had a couple of people signed up...