IGNORED

A game we can sure use on the 5200 - Carnival

BIGHMW

Has anybody ever thought about maybe porting Carnival to Big Sexy? yes, and while I DO have this game on my other rig ColecoVision I have always said if it came down to only one it would be Big Sexy but anyhow here is the A8 version of it, I figure since @glurk seems to have a great thing going on maybe one of the veteran programmers can step up and make this happen, especially now since I got rid of my XEGS and then stumbled into this in my massive Homesoft Collection. It should be almost easy-peasy considering it's only 8K on it.

Carnival.xex

• Sad 2

I can tell by @Aking's response to my last post that maybe I should consider acquiring another XEGS (and another Ultimate Cart or an AVG Cart) and a 7800 (and another Concerto), and maybe bring back The Atari Report by the end of this year.

It's a good thing I kept all of my ROM files for all 4 of my Atari units as well as the ones for my ColecoVision, so that I don't have to re-search the globe for all of those (what would've been) missing files, not only that, it's also a good thing I never took down The Atari Report YouTube channel either. I know you fans loved my content on it and (maybe) soon I can offer more of it again, but with some fresh and new ideas that @Gunther brought up to me in various PMs for presenting my reviews.

I hope the new owners are happy with their gear I sold them, all I have to do is get seriously back in the plus column (moneywise) before getting those two units (different ones of course) back in my lineup later by the end of this year. I have to get the timing belt and a few other things done on my 2002 Beetle, and then save my $$$ after that and then we'll go after the units.

19 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I can tell by @Aking's response to my last post that maybe I should consider acquiring another XEGS (and another Ultimate Cart or an AVG Cart) and a 7800 (and another Concerto), and maybe bring back The Atari Report by the end of this year.

It's a good thing I kept all of my ROM files for all 4 of my Atari units as well as the ones for my ColecoVision, so that I don't have to re-search the globe for all of those (what would've been) missing files, not only that, it's also a good thing I never took down The Atari Report YouTube channel either. I know you fans loved my content on it and (maybe) soon I can offer more of it again, but with some fresh and new ideas that @Gunther brought up to me in various PMs for presenting my reviews.

I hope the new owners are happy with their gear I sold them, all I have to do is get seriously back in the plus column (moneywise) before getting those two units (different ones of course) back in my lineup later by the end of this year. I have to get the timing belt and a few other things done on my 2002 Beetle, and then save my $$$ after that and then we'll go after the units.

Jesus, that’s what you took from his reaction emoji?

God damn it Ray.  Why why why why do you do this every 3 or 4 days.  What happened to you learning to port these yourself?  Any progress there, or did you just up and quit because people didn't do all the work for you?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I can tell by @Aking's response to my last post that maybe I should consider

I can tell by your repeated begging for ports that you just don't get it and never will.  Maybe you should consider STOP ASKING FOR PORTS.  If I can get Cindy Margolis to call you on the phone and personally ask, would that make you stop?  It seems no amount of us asking you will work.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, BIGHMW said:

Has anybody ever thought about maybe porting Carnival to Big Sexy? yes, and while I DO have this game on my other rig ColecoVision I have always said if it came down to only one it would be Big Sexy but anyhow here is the A8 version of it, I figure since @glurk seems to have a great thing going on maybe one of the veteran programmers can step up and make this happen, especially now since I got rid of my XEGS and then stumbled into this in my massive Homesoft Collection. It should be almost easy-peasy considering it's only 8K on it.

Carnival.xex 7.37 kB · 7 downloads

There is a way of playing Carnival and many other games on the 5200 :-)

20220311_195228.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 6:34 PM, BIGHMW said:

You literally just sold your XEGS and other systems a few weeks ago, and now you're talking about reacquiring them?

Wow.  Talk about seller's remorse. 

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

You literally just sold your XEGS and other systems a few weeks ago, and now you're talking about reacquiring them?

Wow.  Talk about seller's remorse. 

Well, that, was in reaction to the anti-5200-conversion sentiment I have been receiving for about a year here about my suggestions to get certain A8 ports converted over to the 5200, I know that it's not easy, nor is it a daunting task either but I know that guys are getting tired of them, but no I don't WANT TO get another XEGS and/or 7800 system, just to get them because it would be too much $$$ spent just to play a few games that otherwise could very easily (in most cases) be ported over to Big Sexy. Hell I even offered $$$ to developers and programmers to get them done, but, so far, no takers at this point.

So nope, no seller's remorse here. Just frustration

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

Well, that, was in reaction to the anti-5200-conversion sentiment I have been receiving for about a year here about my suggestions to get certain A8 ports converted over to the 5200, I know that it's not easy, nor is it a daunting task either but I know that guys are getting tired of them, but no I don't WANT TO get another XEGS and/or 7800 system, just to get them because it would be too much $$$ spent just to play a few games that otherwise could very easily (in most cases) be ported over to Big Sexy. Hell I even offered $$$ to developers and programmers to get them done, but, so far, no takers at this point.

These are just video games, man.

No need to get frustrated. Plenty of other ways to play most of these games anyway.

2 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Can I maybe offer you money then to stop constantly asking for 5200 ports every 3 or 4 days perhaps?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 3/9/2022 at 12:58 PM, BIGHMW said:

On 3/9/2022 at 12:58 PM, BIGHMW said:

So you're requesting another port and asking the "veteran programmers can step up and make this happen"? 

Man, classic OCD symptoms. 

• Like 3

May have said this earlier..

If wanting to play so many games from other systems - it might be best to actually get those systems. Having everything from everywhere re-written and funneled down to work on one system isn't the right approach. With so much material out there it isn't even a practical one. The ace programming skills we have here are not unlimited.

The only realistic way all this "porting" can take place is building up an All-in-One rig of a sorts. This means Emulators or R-Pi or MiSTer. Something like that. Because ports aren't even required then. I get that that's an entirely different ballgame. And it doesn't enhance the love affair a gamer may have for a particular console. But it works.

Back in the day I had many platforms, way too many for any kid to rightfully own. But. Anyhow. When it came to Atari 400/800 vs 5200, I saw them as distinct separate machines. All of them. Those days are past. With emulation and Altirra the 400/800 and 5200 have become known as "Atari 8-bit". There are times I'll pull a game from my library and not even know what system it belongs to.

Have I lost something? Maybe? Likely would seem so to those that like a shelf of cartridges. And that's ok. To me I just traded a bunch of machines for a different machine.

• Like 3

On a slightly different note, but related.. I just discovered a port I've been waiting for since 1980! This would be subLogic's A2-FS1 flight simulator. Representing the very infancy of the world-famous Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise. Always wondered why it was never originally made for Atari 8-bit. Machine was certainly capable of it.

Well now it's been converted over some, 42-years later. Seemingly exactly precisely as on Apple II, minus a bit'o'difference in the fonts. Naturally. Can you believe it! This is a magic moment all over again. 42 YEARS! My god!

Every flight simulator buff needs to give it a spin. If just for the historical experience and seeing how far the genre has evolved.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

In order to get ports you need people with 1) the know-how AND 2) the desire to do the work AND 3) the free time to accomplish it.  

Since the Atari 5200 had a short shelf life, it doesn't have as many fans as the systems with more active hacking/homebrew communities,  therefore there isn't going to be a large pool of people who meet the above three criteria.  Sorry that's just how it is.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
49 minutes ago, Traxx said:

That is actually what it's doing JerseyStyle,have a look in debugger.

No, sorry, I’m not laughing at what you posted- I was laughing at the idea that Ray would get involved in any real way. I’d love if he did though- he could use his obsession powers for good instead of stalking. I appreciate you trying to help him out with this. Just keep in mind some of us have been trying to help him for YEARS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not sure how the gamers here will react to a port as I don't know you gentlemen.I could enhance it and make it special for 5200 gamers,is that something you gentlemen expect from programmers here?

;--------------------------------------------------
    3E39: 48                PHA
    3E3A: 8D 0A D4          STA WSYNC
    3E3D: AD 42 34          LDA $3442
    3E40: 8D 1A D0          STA COLBK
    3E43: A9 60             LDA #$60
    3E45: 8D 09 D4          STA CHBASE
    3E48: AD 3E 34          LDA $343E
    3E4B: 8D 16 D0          STA COLPF0
    3E4E: AD 3F 34          LDA $343F
    3E51: 8D 17 D0          STA COLPF1
    3E54: AD 40 34          LDA $3440
    3E57: 8D 18 D0          STA COLPF2
    3E5A: AD 41 34          LDA $3441
    3E5D: 8D 19 D0          STA COLPF3
    3E60: A9 6C             LDA #$6C
    3E62: 8D 00 02          STA VDSLST
    3E65: A9 3E             LDA #$3E
    3E67: 8D 01 02          STA VDSLST+1
    3E6A: 68                PLA
    3E6B: 40                RTI
    3E6C: 48                PHA
    3E6D: 8D 0A D4          STA WSYNC
    3E70: AD 43 34          LDA $3443
    3E73: 8D 16 D0          STA COLPF0
    3E76: AD 44 34          LDA $3444
    3E79: 8D 17 D0          STA COLPF1
    3E7C: AD 45 34          LDA $3445
    3E7F: 8D 18 D0          STA COLPF2
    3E82: AD 46 34          LDA $3446
    3E85: 8D 19 D0          STA COLPF3
    3E88: AD 72 34          LDA $3472
    3E8B: 8D 04 D4          STA HSCROL
    3E8E: A9 9A             LDA #$9A
    3E90: 8D 00 02          STA VDSLST
    3E93: A9 3E             LDA #$3E
    3E95: 8D 01 02          STA VDSLST+1
    3E98: 68                PLA
    3E99: 40                RTI
    3E9A: 48                PHA
    3E9B: AD 73 34          LDA $3473
    3E9E: 8D 04 D4          STA HSCROL
    3EA1: A9 AD             LDA #$AD
    3EA3: 8D 00 02          STA VDSLST
    3EA6: A9 3E             LDA #$3E
    3EA8: 8D 01 02          STA VDSLST+1
    3EAB: 68                PLA
    3EAC: 40                RTI
    3EAD: 48                PHA
    3EAE: AD 72 34          LDA $3472
    3EB1: 8D 04 D4          STA HSCROL
    3EB4: A9 C0             LDA #$C0
    3EB6: 8D 00 02          STA VDSLST
    3EB9: A9 3E             LDA #$3E
    3EBB: 8D 01 02          STA VDSLST+1
    3EBE: 68                PLA
    3EBF: 40                RTI
	3EC0: 48                PHA
    3EC1: AD B1 34          LDA GunScroll
    3EC4: 8D 04 D4          STA HSCROL
    3EC7: 8D 0A D4          STA WSYNC
    3ECA: AD 39 34          LDA $3439
    3ECD: 8D 16 D0          STA COLPF0
    3ED0: AD 3A 34          LDA $343A
    3ED3: 8D 17 D0          STA COLPF1
    3ED6: AD 3B 34          LDA $343B
    3ED9: 8D 18 D0          STA COLPF2
    3EDC: AD 3C 34          LDA $343C
    3EDF: 8D 19 D0          STA COLPF3
    3EE2: A9 EE             LDA #$EE
    3EE4: 8D 00 02          STA VDSLST
    3EE7: A9 3E             LDA #$3E
    3EE9: 8D 01 02          STA VDSLST+1
    3EEC: 68                PLA
    3EED: 40                RTI
    3EEE: 48                PHA
    3EEF: 8D 0A D4          STA WSYNC
    3EF2: AD 3D 34          LDA $343D
    3EF5: 8D 1A D0          STA COLBK
    3EF8: A9 E0             LDA #$E0
    3EFA: 8D 09 D4          STA CHBASE
    3EFD: A9 39             LDA #$39
    3EFF: 8D 00 02          STA VDSLST
    3F02: A9 3E             LDA #$3E
    3F04: 8D 01 02          STA VDSLST+1
    3F07: 68                PLA
    3F08: 40                RTI    

4498: AD 00 D3          LDA PORTA
    449B: 4A                LSR
    449C: 4A                LSR
    449D: 4A                LSR
    449E: B0 24             BCS $44C4
    44A0: AD B1 34          LDA GunScroll
    44A3: D0 1B             BNE $44C0
    44A5: A9 00             LDA #0
    44A7: AC B0 34          LDY GunX
    44AA: C0 04             CPY #4
    44AC: F0 15             BEQ $44C3
    44AE: 99 D4 56          STA $56D4,Y
    44B1: 88                DEY
    44B2: A9 3C             LDA #$3C
    44B4: 99 D4 56          STA $56D4,Y
    44B7: 8C B0 34          STY GunX
    44BA: A9 03             LDA #3
    44BC: 8D B1 34          STA GunScroll
    44BF: 60                RTS
    44C0: CE B1 34          DEC GunScroll
    44C3: 60                RTS  

44C4: 4A                LSR
    44C5: B0 FC             BCS $44C3
    44C7: AD B1 34          LDA GunScroll
    44CA: C9 04             CMP #$04
    44CC: D0 1B             BNE $44E9
    44CE: A9 00             LDA #0
    44D0: AC B0 34          LDY GunX
    44D3: C0 28             CPY #40
    44D5: F0 EC             BEQ $44C3
    44D7: 99 D4 56          STA $56D4,Y
    44DA: C8                INY
    44DB: A9 3C             LDA #$3C
    44DD: 99 D4 56          STA $56D4,Y
    44E0: 8C B0 34          STY GunX
    44E3: A9 01             LDA #1
    44E5: 8D B1 34          STA GunScroll
    44E8: 60                RTS
    44E9: EE B1 34          INC GunScroll
    44EC: 60                RTS    

Edited by Traxx

3 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

No, sorry, I’m not laughing at what you posted- I was laughing at the idea that Ray would get involved in any real way. I’d love if he did though- he could use his obsession powers for good instead of stalking. I appreciate you trying to help him out with this. Just keep in mind some of us have been trying to help him for YEARS.

If Cindy Margolis reacted to 5200 coders, he'd be all over that shit like white on rice!

• Haha 3