IGNORED

SC1224 on top of Mega STe or not ?

Just looking for opinions.  I have a new hobby room that has somewhat shallow / limited desk space.  

Any concerns with leaving a 1224 on top of the case (non "hard drive" side)?  

Also if I managed to find a 1435 (wish) is that too heavy for the chassis ?

Obviously this is an old machine.. it's in great shape and I plan to have this here for years...

Thanks ! 

7 minutes ago, djglish said:

I've seen lots of pictures with the 1224 monitor on top of the Mega case.  You could look at getting an inexpensive TV/Printer stand and put the Mega under it and the monitor on top.  

Thanks and yes I might just make something out of wood.  First world problems - but trying to figure out the best way to set up my main retro computers in a new room..

(800 w/Incognito,  Mega STe,  Amiga 1200 w/ACA1221,  800XL psuedo-PAL). 

RetroRoom.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Ditto here - got SC1224's on both my Mega ST and Mega STe.

No problems at all.

To get a bit more space for my Roland MT-32, I did add this to

my Mega STe setup:

https://tinyurl.com/4jsb3kns

You can see how that looks below:

Very nice!  I like that stand piece - that's very cool! 

I have the MT-100 (same hardware as MT-32 but ability to read/write to a floppy IIRC),  though it's temporarily for a vintage keyboard.  I might bring it back up to the ST :) 

8 minutes ago, Goochman said:

BITD I had both monitors for my Mega 2ST.  I bought a printer stand (2 "legs") and put a 1x12x4 board on it to hold the monitors just above the case.  I dont think it was a problem putting 1 monitor on the case.

Did you have a switch of some kind to go between the two monitors?  or did you just unplug/plug as needed?   I'd love to find a switch solution that works with the original monitors.. 

18 hours ago, Xebec said:

Did you have a switch of some kind to go between the two monitors?  or did you just unplug/plug as needed?   I'd love to find a switch solution that works with the original monitors.. 

I had one of those multi-monitor button switches :)

11 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I always thought that the Mega ST, with a Megafile HD under it,

and the SC1224 on top, was a very cool thing. It also seemed

to make the SC1224 more level with my eyes...   :)

It really is.

Though for my first Mega ST 2 (I had a 520st (no f) and then a Mega ST 2) I had an "Impulse" case.  I'll try to snag a picture.  Metal case, 2 5.25 side by side bays (in one of these, was the ICD host adapter).

I still have it.  Trying to get it back for use again.  The only problem, it's slightly bigger than the Mega case, so kind of a "Thunder Thighs" situation.

I just wish the UltraSatans had an external LED connector (the internal US doesn't, right?  I didn't remember seeing one). 

18 minutes ago, 7bits said:

Am I being paranoid thinking about all the sun and heat will yellow some of those systems over time?

Not paranoid at all!  

I've been thinking about the same thing.   

I have covers for 3 of 4 of the computers (800, 800XL, and A1200), and the Mega STe keyboard.  The Mega STe is probably ok-ish where it's at, maybe some risk of rear yellowing.

Accessory-wise I may occasionally bring out real floppy drives (SF351, 1050) and the 850 Interface for the 8bit for nostalgia, but will try to keep those away from the sun too.  

The monitors I do not have covers for - and am already trying to figure out how to address that :) ..  

3 hours ago, Xebec said:

Not paranoid at all!  

I've been thinking about the same thing.   

I have covers for 3 of 4 of the computers (800, 800XL, and A1200), and the Mega STe keyboard.  The Mega STe is probably ok-ish where it's at, maybe some risk of rear yellowing.

Accessory-wise I may occasionally bring out real floppy drives (SF351, 1050) and the 850 Interface for the 8bit for nostalgia, but will try to keep those away from the sun too.  

The monitors I do not have covers for - and am already trying to figure out how to address that :) ..  

Well if it makes you feel any better, I leave mine away from the windows, but they for sure are not covered up, just no direct sun. 

14 hours ago, 7bits said:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I leave mine away from the windows, but they for sure are not covered up, just no direct sun. 

So it has been found that just direct sun can re-whiten them.  I am kind of wondering if the yellowing is due to other factors... like direct sun in highly polluted areas... or as Utah (the state I am in) seems to always have high pollution rates and none of my old systems have really yellowed... maybe it is a simply pollution blocks the sun damage?  Oh wait, I think my Mega STe keys yellowed... but that could be from teenager fingers.

3 hours ago, leech said:

So it has been found that just direct sun can re-whiten them.  I am kind of wondering if the yellowing is due to other factors... like direct sun in highly polluted areas... or as Utah (the state I am in) seems to always have high pollution rates and none of my old systems have really yellowed... maybe it is a simply pollution blocks the sun damage?  Oh wait, I think my Mega STe keys yellowed... but that could be from teenager fingers.

Don't eat Cheetos while typing!