IGNORED

SC1224 on top of Mega STe or not ?

53 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Though I'd just need to stop off and do a few other things first.

Yeah, like tell myself to buy that Falcon instead of my first PC, invest in Microsoft, Google, Apple, buy all the 8 & 16-bit Ataris I possibly can when the bottom drops out in the 90s and early 2000s. There's a lot I'd be trying to tell my younger self.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 9:11 AM, leech said:

So it has been found that just direct sun can re-whiten them.  I am kind of wondering if the yellowing is due to other factors... like direct sun in highly polluted areas... or as Utah (the state I am in) seems to always have high pollution rates and none of my old systems have really yellowed... maybe it is a simply pollution blocks the sun damage?  Oh wait, I think my Mega STe keys yellowed... but that could be from teenager fingers.

The internuts has said, that its the filtering of light via the windows that causes the yellowing, if you have direct sunlight with windows with UV coatings, you can have problems.

The other issue I suppose is temperature, I know for a fact, I have had keyboards in storage in a sealed box, with no light I have taken out years later and they turned yellow. These were in my basement, so other than heat in the summer and freezing in the winter, not sure what caused that.

I have also experiment with direct sunlight on Famicoms and 1050 drives, amiga keyboards, etc they all lost a vast amount of the yellow, but not 100%. There is risk of course of making the plastic brittle from heat, but that is why even now in the cooler weather, this works with nice bright sun like we had in New England today.

Edited by 7bits

Always interesting how this stuff works. Sometimes I feel there's some component

to the effect that we're not aware of.

For example, your keyboards turned yellow even in storage away from sunlight. When

I shut down my BBS from around 2000 to 2005, I stored my Mega ST, keyboard and

monitor securely in boxes and then placed them in my Dad's outside storage building.

No heat. No A/C. For 5 years. When I restarted my BBS, I took them out and they were

exactly like the day I put them there...

I think stable temperature is part of the equation for the yellowing.  But UV is pretty destructive.. 

Anyway I just need some bad weather days so I have excuses to finish hooking up the Mega STe and get to BBSing and gaming :)  (And also install the VME to ISA bus and TSENG 4000 card I just picked up and see how that works..) 

Regarding UV and yellowing, does anyone know if retrobrighting affects the durability of the plastic?
In other words, if someone retrobrites a computer casing, does the plastic become brittle and prone to cracking over time?

Mac casings from the 1990's are notorious for becoming brittle and it's a chore to even open them due to the risk of breaking plastics tabs and clips.

59 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Regarding UV and yellowing, does anyone know if retrobrighting affects the durability of the plastic?
In other words, if someone retrobrites a computer casing, does the plastic become brittle and prone to cracking over time?

Mac casings from the 1990's are notorious for becoming brittle and it's a chore to even open them due to the risk of breaking plastics tabs and clips.

Most of the people that came up with the retr0brite formula were/are chemists.  I believe their conclusion was that it does not.  It basically bleaches the plastic.  But then only time can really tell.  I brightened the faceplate and keyboard casing on my Amiga 4000 years ago, and it doesn't seem like it is brittle, but they are pretty thick plastics.

• Thanks 1