IGNORED

Secret Quest

DarthDuke

I was recently at one of our local game stores here in Las Vegas and came across a complete in box version of Secret Quest.  I have it on the ROMs list for my Retron 77, but it's very cool to find it on cartridge, epecially one that is within my budget. Sometimes, cartridges, especially CIB ones, are too expensive.  This one looks like it was never played and was maybe only opened once - and quite carefully at that. Very fun to find such things.  

Do you guys have Secret Quest? If so, what do you think of it? I find it tricky to figure out, but reading the manual does help.  It's certainly one of the last set of games published for the 2600 because of the maroon and black & white packaging. It also tries to push the console to its limits graphically.  

I have played it on my Atari Flashback 2.

It's pretty ambitious and reminds me of a cross between Zelda 1 + Impossible Mission on the 7800 (due to having to find puzzle pieces).

The difficulty level is pretty absurd the further you get, and the enemies have weird attack and movement patterns.

A remarkable technical achievement for the 2600, but I would much rather play Dark Chambers instead of this.