IGNORED

Question about Combat and the Heavy Sixer

T.A.P.

I'm contemplating buying a nice Heavy Sixer console, but it doesn't come with Combat.

I don't particularly like the game, but for sheer sticklerness, I feel like I should pick one up to make the set 'complete.'

My question is, did all Heavy Sixer consoles come with the Gatefold version of Combat, or did any of them have other variants of the cartridge packed in with them?

I think the light six switch model came out the next year, 1978. The four switch model debuted in 1980. I would guess that almost all heavy sixers came with gatefold Combat, but it is easily conceivable that there was some crossover with the pack-in games during the model change.

I'm not sure about the Combat box, but if this makes it any easier to let go of the possibly frustrating completist approach (a tendency with which I strongly identify), bear in mind that the original heavy sixer came with two Atari CX10 joysticks. :D

Edited by Chris+++

I purchased a gatefold Combat to add to heavy sixer collection as well.  I love the look of that box.  I also have all nine of the launch titles, but other than Combat, the rest are cart and manual only, no boxes.  Happy gaming everyone.

Heavy with Launch Titles.jpg

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

Open Box.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Isn't there also a variant of the 1977 Combat Gatefold with a horizontal manual pocket?

I've seen one that's not really horizontal, but diagonal.  I'm not sure which one came with the chess piece launch units.  Good question.

<EDIT>  Our very own @Philflound has an example of the Combat box variations here.

• Like 1

The gatefold box in my opinion was probably included until about 8/78 possibly a few months later depending on how many they made. The "Game Program" box version was produced in 6/78 as I mentioned when the box was actually printed. How long between printing the box and releasing it on the market is speculative, but I think it's usually within 2 months. Sorry I haven't updated anything. My computer went and I used MS Frontpage 2000 to design the site. I can't find my 2000 Office disks, so I'm considering buying them again for my new computer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marillion said:

If that was mine you were bidding on, thanks for the bids. ?

-Chip

Was it that one that ended up going for like, $700+?

If so, I'm glad you got a big pay out, although seeing that final price pretty has much killed my dream of ever owning a 2600. :(

Edited by T.A.P.
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:58 PM, T.A.P. said:

If so, I'm glad you got a big pay out, although seeing that final price pretty has much killed my dream of ever owning a 2600. :(

Don't let it kill any dreams. You never know what you're going to find at thrift stores, yard sales and the like, not to mention on Craig's List. Just check often and you'll still find the occasional great price. E-Bay isn't the only place to find old game stuff, as you surely know. :)

6 hours ago, Chris+++ said:

Don't let it kill any dreams. You never know what you're going to find at thrift stores, yard sales and the like, not to mention on Craig's List. Just check often and you'll still find the occasional great price. E-Bay isn't the only place to find old game stuff, as you surely know. :)

I sure hope so, although it certainly feels like all the good local deals on game stuff dried up around hear around 2010 or so.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 1:58 AM, T.A.P. said:

Yeah, that one was mine. Keep in mind that it was a first release sixer in a chess piece box that was in pretty amazing condition. The boxes for them are usually beat up with lots of tears. Boxed sixers usually go for around $200-300. You'll find one in your price range eventually. Be patient!  ?

-Chip

• 4 months later...

Hey all, just revisiting this topic as I want to grab a complete Gatefold Combat to add to my Heavy Sixer setup.

To confirm, if I were a customer in 1977 and bought my Chess Piece / Heavy Sixer from Montgomery Ward, it would have come with Combat that has the vertical gatefold pocket as shown below.  Correct?

254024757_combat1.thumb.jpg.3a75028e68890b0f003b0f751fc1d57a.jpg

What throws me off is the diagonal pocket version.  Still shows a 1977 a copyright, but was it truly a later revision?

267519685_combat22.thumb.jpg.47f08b9b66c90e26899ee4a23bb077e7.jpg

Just looking to confirm since I want to make my purchase sooner than later as prices are still somewhat reasonable.  
My sixer setup is just missing the manual and Combat box (though the period-correct cart was included when I bought the set)