IGNORED

Show us YOUR 5200 rig - the Big Sexy Appreciation Thread

BIGHMW

Here's a shot of myself with my original 4-port unit I shot back in 2010 (no unfortunately I no longer own the Atari shirt I am pictured in, nor do I still own that unit nor the Trinitron I had in that rig (I can almost hear Mi-Sex with "Computer Games" (from 1979, from Graffiti Crimes) or "Pop Muzik" from Robin Scott (a.k.a. "M" himself, from New York - London - Paris - Munich) from that year, how appropriate that I still have both the those CDs in my lineup (remastered versions obviously) to this day!!! Great gaming tracks!!!

1483683003_106.RayJackson-AtariWarrior.thumb.JPG.1d27872e4d888e63fe8b3c8a90557965.JPG

• Like 1

Gave away my childhood 5200 in the late 90s.  I currently have 3 5200.  All from ebay.  I 2 port.  1 4 port.  And finally found one 4 port with asterisk.  The 2 port worked straight away.  The other 2 needed fixing by zylon and atari_dna from here.  The asterisk has an extra hole in the back not sure why.

http://mvvg.blogspot.com/2019/12/4port-5200-asterisk.html?m=1

• Like 1

Here's a picture of my rig setup on my workbench in the shed. No room in the house at the moment .  I purchased a console from the US recently without covers and a couple of controllers that did not work very well.  Thus the steel plate covers and homemade controllers. It was fun getting the system working. The rest of my 5200 stuff is packed away in boxes at the moment.  P.S. i'm more of a Deep Purple fan :-)

20220316_231619.jpg

• Like 8

On 3/16/2022 at 7:31 AM, Nik Brisevac said:

Here's a picture of my rig setup on my workbench in the shed. No room in the house at the moment .  I purchased a console from the US recently without covers and a couple of controllers that did not work very well.  Thus the steel plate covers and homemade controllers. It was fun getting the system working. The rest of my 5200 stuff is packed away in boxes at the moment.  P.S. i'm more of a Deep Purple fan ?

20220316_231619.jpg

nice mod

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 10:16 PM, Nik Brisevac said:

Very Nice ! Interested to know how you got the Gravis Analogue Pro joystick to work on the 5200?

Well, I cannot take credit for getting it to work, this is done through the Y-adaptor which I bought from a member here some years back if I recall. It allows hooking up a regular 5200 gamepad to access the keypad and a PC controller simultaneously. ? I just checked my Youtube channel and the description, the adaptor was from member "bohoki" and my god, it was 11 years ago ?Here is the crappy video I did about it at the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Well, I cannot take credit for getting it to work, this is done through the Y-adaptor which I bought from a member here some years back if I recall. It allows hooking up a regular 5200 gamepad to access the keypad and a PC controller simultaneously. ? I just checked my Youtube channel and the description, the adaptor was from member "bohoki" and my god, it was 11 years ago ?Here is the crappy video I did about it at the time. 

Great Video :-) Works quite well with the games you demonstrated. I'm using the redemption board with 9 pin input with a retron 77 joystick.  Works well with most games but not Missile Command. I do have a Gravis Analogue Pro Joystick. I might build another board with a 15 pin input and give it a try. Thanks.

Edited by Nik Brisevac
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping in here to show off my shiny NOS 2-port case I recently picked up from TBA. It was a little touch and go at first as the adhesive from the protective film was stuck to the metal but after applying some oil, heat and a lot of elbow (paper towel and fingernail) grease it came out looking real nice. My original case for this one was in rough shape.

eUhHARCRs3TUEV0p3v7ERjBQR6MoA0X2ezgBpGL-BuWou2FsVnhHtMQKOv0lGUscwAzkEy9l8UUCrhL_xZEpQyUk4QZITpaaT_v4hsRqTbV5nKIFDV7sKfx0hHk-pI-LWuErZX5RE-fciyuPWRjNjuh1F7wkYQ0IGsBkChILGy5wAiWdsPjdWW8FoF0WkGk6cxVlPWMUjcGARoGYVbAzXlscU6oAdUTGZNieZHSWGLqdg9VpinJklRQ7P6rFZfEqOLXhZiblIIiRlfZ1R90btAk3NFdXsF859I99ewPc_reFy6xcT2-WU19eLEpuTVIuW0V9M-oTmqpzvl3I6HIz0CRH3M4BWFFAPSxeRV1PMxdr224xNbZgmK_WYkKwMy2Ikfk1TnjMaTDtdzgqrEXp2iiLPrS1t_WZKsZUTfFW_KtQGejfM27iGRSCAh6aymjhpdKl9xGAjz4Uy3F1YwcxiV9RcxsqYSdOvAN7HlZwnIDAWGDZvx8MKf0wvgvhWc-D3WvcC8yfbhTOYm-ccMGk6Uxcv6oQtCnR4xAA0hB9DEWasBgYpldKFH_YDhdFVi61y8HNYVE9KJrzcGYtS-CaixX6epD9n9kuTU50-XUb1SOHPGRgi-fDC-2T9sfgkv5emygUMGwJuT6Z_wFqXwIX-ac6VjPQL8wTxSbf8H3_ET-qNJAodOpl1V1ziF1D6DrJIW7asb0F5kazg6naJSwYc3Z06K2qaynk8JAmsOt6AjPJNE42VudCwoLVb5ntkbc=w1448-h1929-no?authuser=0

-zIOVO6x2PeHdN_YAxZsrWUNEqaFgpFQTLO6WF8AVRjZPsbGywJWa27sZn1o-pHhwsXqi5ebsGCKWo-sR97SaraUq9mkLwat14kb-5CdPZWfUtNTUfkQsQAS_1KfNydFY5tHjsTEca6ZpOETm34S2O6mc5gP4aVogWzz08rWBI3nHsIebhc58PBijUgtu0UKnmUM8Vnr6_v1rnGPuG-eNWlbm95oGzQ4N-r_8pmpewMAH6M1Q2h0C7CdsTTAYpBazYbOlKBvknVsQdrh77wbv-xXjo4tCf6vNxOFImtpv21fMrVAvPjiX8rf0MSKWUuBV1LAWdSZ5uhz6DuFHNZaTZprdMmCuWipM_04jB-1uX7qguVv-vu8JhIseGS-noGFm64rpUZBtj-9g2eoV6cq3gI-GNHD9l_i6GynDbraO2GEzVZTJHGTVOA-_X2eV2Ho_ZijsdJNeajxnr2qG6WFBRpfHQ2mam73giq2PJD5WrM72f7OKY_lx0r5UHFKURXlAJgF3wcmupyx5caUurpmFKT6vPsM4ki87JTEyPsKazcJuAt-9xR_wXFlQ4WU-UaV2AVUUVE1XYkVEMpoVQ_2sVQsBadqoI1P5Wf6IOsonp5YQ71NN1X2O0Ga1d2xeCnhFhcC7U23ZCLPC36w4y5A1PyN5kh7RYqP6z4AT8Us-c4l-autDI8Pl4cPLVyW8O-C_zNpDFIzNkRMC08D8fsypuMHclhtd89C-VvceTB2zm05cbIQa8wIn04h-M95KCw=w1448-h1929-no?authuser=0

3 hours ago, yodan said:

Hmm. Strange. Since I am not able to edit my post I will add here. admins feel free to edit above post.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778 (1).jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!! ❤️ ❤️ I just wish my 2-port looked like that, maybe I myself oughta order one from TBA just for the top and simply swap tops with my current one (that has a 4-port BIOS on her) so Big Sexy can look every bit as hot as she can be!!!

Other pics of mine exist in my gallery I believe, but I recently rolled it over to connect it up for other reasons and decided to take some current pics.

Mine is housed in an old Atari cabinet originally designed for the 2600. The cabinet has a warped door on the front and is missing part of the top lid that would normally be on the front and square the top of it up. But mine was found with that missing along with other issues it had. Anyway, with the front missing it works great for my 5200 to sit on.

52cartclosed.thumb.jpg.4c2d42088a9e69aaf33ea016b23bbacb.jpg

Normally it has one of Barb's console covers on it to help protect from dust and scratches. I also have small felt feet that I attached on the top of the lid along the front of it but you can't really see them through the plexi covers. Looks like it is due for another bath as I see dust has still managed to find its way into the ribbing of the top shell that accents the cartridge slot...hmm

52coveroff.thumb.jpg.07e2d15a0850ce36b2342833a7364ed2.jpg

As most of my 5200 games are loose carts. What few boxed CIB games I do own I keep in the lower portion of the cabinet. I also store the power supply for it in this area when it isn't connected up and in use.

Boxed52.thumb.jpg.cd3fe5dd772449c381f024ab5f311c9f.jpg

• Like 5

Mine doesn't fit on my rack (though I have managed to squeeze a Famicom in there since this photo was taken), so it's relegated to the storage racking... All still wired up though.

ItsInThere.thumb.jpg.df07790e4eae1bb80461bcb2becdd960.jpg

I don't have a lot of space in there...

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, juansolo said:

Mine doesn't fit on my rack (though I have managed to squeeze a Famicom in there since this photo was taken), so it's relegated to the storage racking... All still wired up though.

ItsInThere.thumb.jpg.df07790e4eae1bb80461bcb2becdd960.jpg

I don't have a lot of space in there...

Nice setup there, I myself like to use vintage 1990s-stock Knape & Vogt Shelf-Help 4 series tool racks (each fiberboard shelf is 36" x 16" with a height of 36 inches, or 72 if used as a tall rack, with 5 adjustable shelves [basically removable girders that adjust to any height or configuration you like] that come in each set) but I bought multiple sets of them back in the late 90s so I can use any amount of shelving in either 36" or 72" heights I feel like for my furniture. My entire apartment has them, all set at 36" high, with multiple shelves on each for different purposes (home theater, studio recording gear, nightstand/table, record/tape/CD shelving, etc). Those along with (of all things) Sterilite modular drawer systems and storage tubs do the rest. That, an old rollaway from a fellow tenant who didn't need it anymore for a bed (3/4-size, 48" x 72", hey I AM single) and a Mainstays (bought through Walmart.com) futon for my couch and some other assorted items acquired through eBay and Amazon make up for most of my furniture in my (one-bedroom) apartment. Pics of my setups later on this weekend.

I added the 5200 to my collection a few years ago primarily because I'm a fan of Adventure and I bought the 5200's Adventure II.  (Big Sexy is wearing a dustcover to complement her large build and is situated toward the left.)

For the longest time I looked for some stylish way to store my 5200 carts, but couldn't find anything. Finally I said screw it and made custom cases for all my games. 

P1010149.JPG

P1010150.JPG

• Like 4

My current setup, using vintage 1990s Knape & Vogt Shelf-Help 4 series utility racks in the single level form (36" W x 16" D x 36" H, also can be made into 36" W x 16" D x 72" H as well, with adjustable fiberboard shelving in 1 1/2" increments), I originally had it setup (spread out over side-by-side shelves in the whole setup at that time) so the top tier shelves (underneath my Insignia HDTV and dual Sony receivers with Edifier R1010-BT powered multimedia speakers) held my audio components, then the video components below it and then all 4 of my Atari units (2600, 5200, 7800, and XEGS before I sold them, still have the 5200) on the next one below, with the bottom shelf reserved (at that time) for 4 rival units (ColecoVision, Intellivision II, Sega Master System, and either TurboGrafx 16 or Original NES) taking up that space. At one time I even had ideas for launching a second gaming channel on YouTube (along with The Atari Report, in which is still up) in which I called "The Classic Gaming Report" (originally "The Vintage Gaming Report", changed due to the trademark "VGR" in which is already spoken for by another company), to try and match up with Unknown Data Entry and their hit channel of that same name.

DSC02149.thumb.JPG.7e64f6b4504c268cd6a2f6d9695174be.JPG

DSC02150.thumb.JPG.1ed62ab48717aeacd576332dd7537caa.JPG

DSC02151.thumb.JPG.9ba6fb834cb82e736948944d260f4395.JPG

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

My 2-port, safely ensconced in the Tower of Yesteryear.  This is not my original console, as I moved overseas back in the 90s and gave up pretty much everything I owned. I've managed to reacquire everything I used to have, though, and couldn't be happier with my collection -- except all the PAL Xbox and GameCube stuff, which I'd rather have the NTSC versions.

The 5200's stock, except that I had to cobble together an S-Video circuit as the North American RF signal doesn't work over here in the UK.  No regrets, as the picture is spectacular on that B&O CRT to the left of the picture.

image.thumb.png.a2a1d5a8394df72d61c65ee1458932b4.png

• Like 2

DSC02150.thumb.JPG.5751a6f3838fb48d2e5fcbc1e8ddfcfe.JPG

In case any of you were wondering, what the specific components consist of in this rather-compressed setup, they are as follows:

(all descriptions of components from left-to-right on each shelf)

Top Shelf, below the dual Sony STR-DH590 and STR-DH190 receivers and Insignia NS-39D220NA 16 39" HDTV on top:

RadioShack Optimus SCP-32 Auto-Reverse Cassette Player

Sony MXD-D3 MiniDisc Recorder/CD Player Combo

Shelf #2:

HD Capture Pro MP4 Thumbdrive Recorder

Insignia NS-DXA3 Digital TV Converter Box

RF-To-HDMI Analog TV Receiver

(unknown brand) HD Media Player

(unknown brand) HDMI 8-Input/1-Output Switcher

Roku Ultra HD Receiver

Lonpoo LP-099 Region-Free PAL/NTSC Worldwide DVD Player

Shelf #3:

Sony BD-S3700 (US/Canada Region A/Region 1, NTSC) Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Player

ActionTec MWTV2RX Wireless HD Video Receiver (ActionTec MWTV2TX Wireless HD Video Transmitter hooked up to PC HDMI output)

Sony SLV-N51 4-Head/19-Micron-Head VHS Hi-Fi Video Cassette Recorder

(unknown brand) Composite AV-To-HDMI Converter

Shelf #4:

ColecoVision Video Game System Model No. 2400

Atari 5200 SuperSystem/Advanced Video Entertainment System 2-port Model No. CX-5200

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...