IGNORED

Atari 2600 With RGB Mod Best HDMI Converter and Upscaler

CosmicSailor

I bought a RGB modded Atari 2600 several years ago. Thinking it would be super easy to connect to my UHD TV. The basic RGB to HDMI converter I bought from DKOldies works, but the picture isn’t sharp.

I haven’t found any information on a specific converter-upscaler that is directly targeted toward someone with an RGB modded Atari 2600. 

I have a great library of Atari 2600 cartridges (including many Homebrew carts bought directly from the Atariage store) that I would love to play. 

Is there any way that I can connect my RGB modded Atari 2600 to my UHD TV and have a high quality sharp picture? Without spending a lot of money. 

Whether it’s the quality of the cables or also if there’s a upscaler I can buy instead of just a converter?

I would appreciate it if someone could help with any recommendations. 

49 minutes ago, CosmicSailor said:

Is there any way that I can connect my RGB modded Atari 2600 to my UHD TV and have a high quality sharp picture? Without spending a lot of money.

I use a RetroTINK5X-Pro for upscaling my RGB 2600 and the picture is incredible with tons of fancy options. They also offer a 2X-Pro for a much lower cost so I can't speak to that but I've heard good things.

RetroRGB's website and YouTube channel is THE place to go for upscaling information. I'm very certain he's adone a number of videos outlining upscalers at various price points that you can check out.

- James

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I have a RetroTink 2X "Classic" and have really been impressed with it.  They stopped making the Classic but if you come across one, I recommend it.

56 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I use a RetroTINK5X-Pro for upscaling my RGB 2600 and the picture is incredible with tons of fancy options. They also offer a 2X-Pro for a much lower cost so I can't speak to that but I've heard good things.

RetroRGB's website and YouTube channel is THE place to go for upscaling information. I'm very certain he's adone a number of videos outlining upscalers at various price points that you can check out.

- James

I can verify that the RetroTink 2x Pro is well worth the $130. I run my UAV-modded four-switch through it (S-Video, not composite) and the picture is lag-free and just razor sharp. It also does a great job with my wife's N64.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CosmicSailor said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I’ll go with a Retrotink 2x Pro or the 5x. 

You mentioned RGB though so really the only options you have is a Tink2 SCART (Which I use in my work bench for RGB testing), or the Tink5 Pro. You could also get an OSSC as all three of those devices have SCART inputs on them and I assume that is what you are using from your RGB 2600?

Tink2x classic and Tink2 Pro I believe are only component, composite, and s-video input.

19 minutes ago, CosmicSailor said:

My modded Atari 2600 has the 3 prong Red, White and Yellow AV Out hookups. I hadn’t realized that RGB and AV connections are entirely different when I posted this question. Would a Retrotink 2x or 5x be optimal for the Red, White and Yellow AV connections?

That isn't RGB then...it is just composite output in this case and the Tink2x classic or Tink2x pro would be a good choice. Do be aware that some games due to how they were programmed back in the day do exhibit some odd screen behavior when used with modern displays.

• 7 months later...

I recently had a heavy Sixer modded with Tim Worthington's RGB mod with component output.  I have it connected to a GBS Control through component inputs and outputting through the VGA output to a Dell P992. I have also tried connecting it without the GBS Control straight into a Sony HD CRT, but it also displays the same issue.  The output looks really nice most of the time, but after playing for 20-30 minutes it looks like it loses sync and I get a black background with scrolling jail bars.  I recently purchased a Retrotink 5x that is on its way, I hope this resolves the problem.  My other thought is that this mod works best with Flat panel LCD type monitors and not CRT type monitors?

5 hours ago, adamchevy said:

The output looks really nice most of the time, but after playing for 20-30 minutes it looks like it loses sync and I get a black background with scrolling jail bars.

That looks like the console crashing, not an issue with the video signal. Maybe a power issue? I'd check the power supply, power switch, voltage regulator and related capacitors.

5 hours ago, adamchevy said:

My other thought is that this mod works best with Flat panel LCD type monitors and not CRT type monitors?

Given the off spec signals that many 2600 games output, and the fact that the mod outputs analog video, CRTs are the most compatible displays.

12 hours ago, alex_79 said:

That looks like the console crashing, not an issue with the video signal. Maybe a power issue? I'd check the power supply, power switch, voltage regulator and related capacitors.

Given the off spec signals that many 2600 games output, and the fact that the mod outputs analog video, CRTs are the most compatible displays.

Thanks for your feedback.  I recently purchased a new power supply and I think that may be the culprit. I found another thread here on atariage that mentions having the same problems with the same power supply I purchased.  back to ebay for an OEM one this time.

power.jpg